The Student Room Group

Qualifying Law Degree / Non qualifying law degree for External student

Hi guys, would appreciate if anyone can clarify on this.
For an External student doing the Uni of London International Programme, is is true that a Qualifying Law degree is only compulsory if you wish to do Bar in the UK after your degree (compulsory to take EU Law),
and if you don't wish to do Bar in UK then it's fine to take Non qualifying law degree?
Reply 1
If you want to be a lawyer and practice in UK (either as a solicitor or a barrister), then a non-qualifying degree isn't enough. You'd have to do an extra one year conversion course. There are 7 modules that need to be undertaken in order to have a qualifying law degree. These are:

Public Law
EU Law
Criminal Law
Tort Law
Trusts and Equity
Land Law
Contract Law
Original post by sebastiannsim
Hi guys, would appreciate if anyone can clarify on this.
For an External student doing the Uni of London International Programme, is is true that a Qualifying Law degree is only compulsory if you wish to do Bar in the UK after your degree (compulsory to take EU Law),
and if you don't wish to do Bar in UK then it's fine to take Non qualifying law degree?

You need a qualifying law degree if you want to become a lawyer - either a solicitor or barrister - in England or Wales (Scotland has a separate QLD). There's postgrad training as well for both routes, but EU law - and all the other QLD modules - must be taken if you want to be any kind of lawyer in England or Wales, not just if you want to become a barrister.

If you're certain that you'll never want to be a lawyer, then you don't have to do EU law, or any of the other compulsory modules. But it's advisable to complete them anyway, I'd argue, in case you ever change your mind. You could always do the GDL at a later date if you decide not to get a QLD, but it's simpler, cheaper and less time-consuming to do the compulsory modules at university.
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't mess around and not get a QLD! That would be so stupid aakfjshf;ijdsafn;jqdg
What is the situation when you do all the foundation courses but still do not get a QLD due to that fact that you may failed or missed exams? For instance I did all the foundation courses inclusive of EU - however in my 2nd year I failed 2 courses.. and due to family issues I missed the following year - So although I completed the LLB I was unable to obtain a QLD.Can anyone shed some light on this please?
I passed all but I took 2 years to complete my 2nd year so when I entered my final year I was not given the option to choose the QLD pathway.
This was with the University of London
Reply 7
Original post by Saba XD
If you want to be a lawyer and practice in UK (either as a solicitor or a barrister), then a non-qualifying degree isn't enough. You'd have to do an extra one year conversion course. There are 7 modules that need to be undertaken in order to have a qualifying law degree. These are:

Public Law
EU Law
Criminal Law
Tort Law
Trusts and Equity
Land Law
Contract Law

I have a BA in Law and French and took all 7 compulsory modules but my degree isn't an LLB rather a BA Hons. Does this mean i have a qualifying law degree? The GDL covers these 7 modules so if I had to do it, id be repeating the same modules already studied.

Looking forward to some clarification
Hi! I would love some advice. I DEFINATELY don’t want to work as a solicitor or a barrister. I would love to go into human rights at the UN or an NGO somewhere. I could take an LLB non qualifying course which would give me more freedom to study modules such as human rights or global legal comparison. If I were to decide to qualify I wouldn’t have the time to do these subjects and would have to take the 6 core modules instead. I plan on doing a masters in human rights law afterwards. Do you think it is fine for me not to do the qualifying law degree or do you think that is risky and would me me less employable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending