The Student Room Group

Student loan after three years in the UK.

Hello :smile:

I am thinking about applying for Urban Planning course with start in 2017, on a full-time basis.
I am EU national living in England since the end of August 2014... so I will be living in the UK for three years (and perhaps few weeks) before start of the course. Can someone advice me if I would be eligible for student loan and perhaps maintenance grant? Do you think that I would be considered as UK student or international?

Has some of you had this concern?

May somebody make my mind be clear of fear? :wink:

I will also contact Student Finance England but would be sure even more to have an answer from somebody with similar concern :smile:

Thank You in advance :wink:
There are no maintenance grants any more.

You have to be living in the UK for 5 years to get the maintenance loan. You can get the tuition fee loan though.
Reply 2
Thank You for your answer. Do yo think that some of universities provide some financial help as well? Or provide for range of part-time jobs?
Reply 3
Original post by emgro
Thank You for your answer. Do yo think that some of universities provide some financial help as well? Or provide for range of part-time jobs?

Some unis have scholarships open to students from outside the UK, or which are targetted at specific courses. However each uni sets these up for themselves and there is no central database, so you'll need to do some Googling. Some unis don't have anything like that. Beware that where they exist, very few (if any) of these will cover all of your living costs for a three year degree.

Many undergrads work part-time during their study. However, it's very unlikely that you will be able to work enough hours to cover all of your living costs. The type of work open to students (bar/pub, retail, hotel etc) is generally the lowest paid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending