The Student Room Group

Dentistry resit applicants 2017 entry

I was just wondering what people are doing in terms of personal statement, how much do we have to change our PS from last year and what extra should we add

Scroll to see replies

hi, im also resitting and was wondering the same thing
i think if u got offers last year then u just need to addd your gap year plans
but if u struggled last yr to obtain any then starting it from scratch may be best

does anyone know which dental schools consider resit applicants (including those that only accept ones with extenuating circumstances)?
So far i only know off
Manchester - A*AA
Sheff -AAA but they give priority to 2yr applicants and then ppl who applied previously
leeds - AAA + BMAT
plymouth i think
anywhere else??

i think newcastle but only if the circumstances were very serious
oh and apprently kings and Queen marys Belfast
this may be helpful too
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3595385
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys I am also in the same situation. What are your plans for the year other than the exams to strengthen your applications?
Original post by bdog123curryman
Hi guys I am also in the same situation. What are your plans for the year other than the exams to strengthen your applications?

erm more WE, volunteering, part time job etc
i just dont know which unis to apply to and how to change my Ps :/
Original post by Randomer98
erm more WE, volunteering, part time job etc
i just dont know which unis to apply to and how to change my Ps :/

Thanks. Yh its taking me ages to finish my personal statement. Anyway Im applying to kings, plymouth, sheffield and manchester. Also im working towards a qualification in dental nursing over the year, which will hopefully make me stand out a bit.
Reply 5
Thanks. Yh its taking me ages to finish my personal statement. Anyway Im applying to kings, plymouth, sheffield and manchester. Also im working towards a qualification in dental nursing over the year, which will hopefully make me stand out a bit.

So kings accept resit applicants?
Original post by hello1345k
So kings accept resit applicants?[/QUOT

Sorry I just saw this. I would advise you to phone/email a man called Dr Cabot at Kings (Dean of Admissions for Dentistry). I met him and he told me I could apply as a resit applicant and they would consider me. He also said that if i have any other queries i could email or call. He said if you call you can get directly to him. I think they usually only except people with extenuating circumstances
so where did everyone apply?
i went for kings, plymouth, sheffield and manchester
I applied to manc, lpool, sheff and kings
(I had mitigating circumstances and kings said they'd consider me (submitted a form before the deadline). Lpool said they'll consider the mitigating circumstances AFTER the deadline, so a bit risky but I preferred it to my other options of Bristol and Plymouth who readily accept resits
What ukcat did u guys get?
(edited 7 years ago)
so where did everyone apply?
i went for kings, plymouth, sheffield and manchester

Did u have an offer last year if u don't mind me asking?
Did u have an offer last year if u don't mind me asking?

Yh I got an offer from Liverpool last year, hbu? For my ukcat i got 2120, band 1, 707 average

Abstract Reasoning 650Verbal Reasoning 680Quantitative Reasoning 790Situational Judgment Band1
Abstract Reasoning 650Verbal Reasoning 680Quantitative Reasoning 790Situational Judgment Band1
Reply 11
I'm reapplying for dentistry this year had two interviews queens and Liverpool and an offer from Liverpool, this year I applied to Leeds Liverpool (I took ill when exams started so it depends if they accept my circumstances) queens again (who have already confirmed they'll give me an interview this year) and Plymouth, I'm finding it difficult to keep up my motivation and I'm feeling quite low a lot, any tips to keep motivation high?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sdaly606
I'm reapplying for dentistry this year had two interviews queens and Liverpool and an offer from Liverpool, this year I applied to Leeds Liverpool (I took ill when exams started so it depends if they accept my circumstances) queens again (who have already confirmed they'll give me an interview this year) and Plymouth, I'm finding it difficult to keep up my motivation and I'm feeling quite low a lot, any tips to keep motivation high?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope you're feeling more positive. You doing ok?
Also, did you get an offer for Liverpool last year, but missed the grades? Do you mind me asking what grades you got?
Hey any of you guys heard anything back from unis?
Hey any of you guys heard anything back from unis?

Yh had 2 interviews at Plymouth and Manc, but rejected post interview by Plymouth. Waiting on Kings and Sheffield, hbu?
Yh had 2 interviews at Plymouth and Manc, but rejected post interview by Plymouth. Waiting on Kings and Sheffield, hbu?

congrats on getting interviews!!! what are ur stats if u dont mind me asking?
oh gosh manc got back to u! giving me major anxiety now haha :s how'd that one go? did u have one there last year?
hmm plymouth really confuses me you know, every year they reject decent applicants ... and then theyre always in clearing lol?
im still waiting :s ~(manc, lpool, kings, sheff)
did u apply for a 5th?
congrats on getting interviews!!! what are ur stats if u dont mind me asking?
oh gosh manc got back to u! giving me major anxiety now haha :s how'd that one go? did u have one there last year?
hmm plymouth really confuses me you know, every year they reject decent applicants ... and then theyre always in clearing lol?
im still waiting :s ~(manc, lpool, kings, sheff)
did u apply for a 5th?

Yh i had a manc interview last year but got rejected by them then, for this year im still waiting. I know my plymouth interview was pretty bad tbh but i think my manc one went well so im hopeful. I didnt apply for a 5th and i just got an interview at kings today for 1st feb! We applied for 3 of the same unis so thats awesome.

Stats:
7a*2ab-gcse's
abb achieved alevels, predicted a*a*a
710 ukcat band 1
Yh i had a manc interview last year but got rejected by them then, for this year im still waiting. I know my plymouth interview was pretty bad tbh but i think my manc one went well so im hopeful. I didnt apply for a 5th and i just got an interview at kings today for 1st feb! We applied for 3 of the same unis so thats awesome.

Stats:
7a*2ab-gcse's
710 ukcat band 1

hopefully it went better than u thought! i got a sheff invite for the 2nd march yday and then an lpool rejection the other week :/ still waiting on mcr and kings :/
Congrats on the kings interview!!! good luck!
oh see i did apply for a 5th - UCL pharmacy - had to write another PS as well. I cant hack the thought of another gap year!! :s
woah rlly impressive ukcat!

i got 6A* 4As
AAB A levels A*AA predicted
635 band 2 ukcat
(edited 6 years ago)

Stats:
7a*2ab-gcse's
710 ukcat band 1

hopefully it went better than u thought! i got a sheff invite for the 2nd march yday and then an lpool rejection the other week :/ still waiting on mcr and kings :/
Congrats on the kings interview!!! good luck!
oh see i did apply for a 5th - UCL pharmacy - had to write another PS as well. I cant hack the thought of another gap year!! :s
woah rlly impressive ukcat!

i got 6A* 4As
ABB A levels A*AA predicted
635 band 2 ukcat

Sorry, just to clarify, did you both have mitigating circumstances when doing your A levels?

I have Bs and Cs at A level, no mitigating circumstances, but got As/A* in GCSE and AS level, so a bit out of the norm - still wanted to apply for dentistry after retaking if I get AAA this year. Wanted some advice?

Specifically, have 1A* 9A at GCSE, AAAC at AS level
Original post by notespad
Sorry, just to clarify, did you both have mitigating circumstances when doing your A levels?

I have Bs and Cs at A level, no mitigating circumstances, but got As/A* in GCSE and AS level, so a bit out of the norm - still wanted to apply for dentistry after retaking if I get AAA this year. Wanted some advice?

Specifically, have 1A* 9A at GCSE, AAAC at AS level

Yes i had mitigating circumstances during my A2's
Manchester, sheffield, plymouth and (i think bristol) allow resits regardless of mitigating circumstances so technically you still have a decent chance
So I think its worth a shot if you really want it
but have a back up plan bc u will essentially be at the bottom of the pile
make sure you get at least a decent ukcat- i say no lower than the avg
if u smash ur ukcat then you should have a better chance

also generally if anyones reading this, if you do have mitigating circumstances during your exams and you notified the school/exam boards for those exams they will then give you special consideration and basc give you like 1 raw mark ish
they never notify you of the outcome of whether they accepted ur circumstances or not unless u specially go to school and ask them to trace it up
but basc when u fill out mitigating circ forms for the unis, some unis wont let you apply for mitigating circumstances if ur exam boards have been notified as they argue that by getting that lousy 1 raw mark, your situation has been taken into account (BS lol) so basc for a couple unis that means you cant apply there eventho originally you may have read on their website that theyll accept ur application soo be careful i guess!

Quick Reply

Latest