The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm a current 5th year at Glasgow. The process has changed slightly since I applied but you have to make sure that your application highlights your dedication to studying medicine. Academia makes up a majority of your application but volunteering, work experience and your personal statement will be reviewed and taken into consideration. If you don't get in first time it's not the end of the world, take a year to do something productive and reapply. Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
I have 7a* 3a at gcse and 1980 in ukcat. Been told personal statement is very good. Do i stand a good chance of an interview? Last year 1990 was lowest considered so im tentative about applying
Thanks
Reply 22
Original post by alkyone
Hello, I will be a second year medical student at Glasgow this year, and I'd be happy to answer any questions if I can :smile:

i scored 1900/2700 on ukcat so average of 633, will this disadvantage my application? Thanks
Original post by k8trees
i scored 1900/2700 on ukcat so average of 633, will this disadvantage my application? Thanks

hello there, well the answer is, it depends. If you have a look at their data from other years you would see that a 1900 would have been sufficient for 2013 and 2014, but that in 2015 the lowest score they invited was the equivalent of 1990. It depends on how this year's candidates did as a whole which will determine the decile your score falls into, and also it depends on the other aspects of your application. If your personal statement and academic scores are high they may compensate for a low ukcat.
I have 1a* 10 A's and 1B at GCSE
I have 680 avg band 3 (total 2040) in my Ukcat, is it worth applying here?

Also does anyone know exactly how they select for interview?
Reply 25
Original post by Boo_Ayres13
I have 1a* 10 A's and 1B at GCSE
I have 680 avg band 3 (total 2040) in my Ukcat, is it worth applying here?

Also does anyone know exactly how they select for interview?

They say on their website that they consider all parts of your application (PS, reference, academics and UKCAT) however they seem to place quite a great emphasis on the test.

In previous years (pre-2015 if not mistaken) they used to order people by their UKCAT results and then give interview offers to the top scorers.
Do they look at each section or just the overall/average for UKCAT?
Hi, I would be grateful for advice: I had read there is a set quota of admissions of non-Scottish UK students and that there is a weighting that favours Scottish students at University of Glasgow Medical School. Presumably this would make it a longer shot when applying if you're not from Scotland? Can anyone tell me if this is the case? Thanks
Reply 28
Hello,😀😁😉
I am an international student and my IGCSE grades were not so good. I only did 6 IGCSEs 😓in total (3A* 3A). My AS grades were 4A (Bio, Physics, Chem, and Math); my predicted A-level are 3A* 1A😁. Also, my overall UKCAT score was 2110 (703.33 average). Actually, I got 550 VR, 770 QR, 790 AR, and band 2 in SJ. Do you think I still have a chance for Glassgow? Any other universities in UK that you would suggest? Please help😫Thank you soooooo much.😊☺😄
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by praoparn
Hello,😀😁😉
I am an international student and my IGCSE grades were not so good. I only did 6 IGCSEs 😓in total (3A* 3A). My AS grades were 4A (Bio, Physics, Chem, and Math); my predicted A-level are 3A* 1A😁. Also, my overall UKCAT score was 2110 (703.33 average). Actually, I got 550 VR, 770 QR, 790 AR, and band 2 in SJ. Do you think I still have a chance for Glassgow? Any other universities in UK that you would suggest? Please help😫Thank you soooooo much.😊☺😄

Well done on your incredible UKCAT score!
Your UKCAT average I reckon will be more than enough for Glasgow, I think they are quite UKCAT heavy - Last years lowest score for interview was 663 I think? Could be wrong. I went to the open day and I think they mentioned they are not looking at SJ banding aswell so your score will be great for glasgow. I dont know much about English exams, but I have heard on this website they dont really care about GCSE's. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have a good chance for Glasgow:smile:
Reply 30
Original post by MF12345
Well done on your incredible UKCAT score!
Your UKCAT average I reckon will be more than enough for Glasgow, I think they are quite UKCAT heavy - Last years lowest score for interview was 663 I think? Could be wrong. I went to the open day and I think they mentioned they are not looking at SJ banding aswell so your score will be great for glasgow. I dont know much about English exams, but I have heard on this website they dont really care about GCSE's. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have a good chance for Glasgow

Thank you:smile::smile::smile:
Hi everyone, urgently need help

I am an international and I have

-No gcse/igcse
-AAAA in AS (full ums in Chem and Maths)
-Predicted A*A*A*A*
-ukcat avg 663 Band 2
-a few clinical attachment and work experiences back home and in the UK
-fairly strong PS

Can anyone tell me if i stand any chance?
Hi, I am thinking of applying to Glasgow this year for medicine, I just wanted to know that if it is true that out of the 280 places does Glasgow only offer 50-60 places to applicants applying from England. thanks
I gave my UKCAT test and was satisfied with all the scores except for the Verbal Reasoning section. I got 480 in VR, 650 in QR and 620 in AR. However, I got a BAND 1 in the SJT. I did O levels instead of GCSE's and got 2A*5A and 1B and am predicted A*AA for my A levels.
Apart from that, I've done quite a lot of extra curricular:
I was the Head girl of my school for 4 years, I am the head of the community and welfare society of my college and am one of the best debaters of my school and college.
I also came 1st in a national video competition by the British Council and have taken work experience in a hospital and local Clinic. I was a little disheartened because of my UKCAT score but really want to apply for medicine at Glasgow. What are the chances do you think? Will the rest of my academic and extras outweigh the VR score?? Please let me know!
Thanks!
Original post by medicapplicant
Hi, I am thinking of applying to Glasgow this year for medicine, I just wanted to know that if it is true that out of the 280 places does Glasgow only offer 50-60 places to applicants applying from England. thanks

I went to Glasgow's open day and remember someone asking exactly this question, unfortunately I can't find the sheet of paper I wrote it down on, but from what I can remember, the admissions guy said that there were typically 58 places for those applying from the United Kingdom, although it can vary slightly.

Hope this helps!
Reply 35
I was told by the head of careers at my school that a score of over 700 in the UKCAT should be safe for an interview at Glasgow, but who knows
Reply 36
Hi guys,
I've sent off my application and hoping that it's sufficient for an interview! now hearing that there are limited places for british students is a bit worrying :/

Applying as a grad-1st time predicted a 1st
GCSEs 2a*s and 6as
A levels A*A*A
UKCAT total 2050

Hospice volunteer 2years and continuing at present*
Frequent patient contact on placement, nature of work requires me to work closely with ophthalmologist and optoms
quite active in local community participate in fundraisers etc
on committee for society in uni
student rep for our year course
shadowed F1 for 2 weeks*
Original post by Hdizzle
Hi guys,
I've sent off my application and hoping that it's sufficient for an interview! now hearing that there are limited places for british students is a bit worrying :/

Applying as a grad-1st time predicted a 1st
GCSEs 2a*s and 6as
A levels A*A*A
UKCAT total 2050

Hospice volunteer 2years and continuing at present*
Frequent patient contact on placement, nature of work requires me to work closely with ophthalmologist and optoms
quite active in local community participate in fundraisers etc
on committee for society in uni
student rep for our year course
shadowed F1 for 2 weeks*

best of luck! I think that with a good personal statement, you shouldn't have any problem in getting an interview based on your academics and experience :smile:*
Reply 38
Original post by alkyone
best of luck! I think that with a good personal statement, you shouldn't have any problem in getting an interview based on your academics and experience :smile:*

Hopefully my personal statement is up to the standard required! It's hard applying without guidance from sixth form but made the most of resources I had and friends who are medics!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hdizzle
Hopefully my personal statement is up to the standard required! It's hard applying without guidance from sixth form but made the most of resources I had and friends who are medics!

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's true :smile: when I was applying I used my university's careers centre and they were great. But medic friends might actually be even better in giving you practical support and advice

Latest

Trending

Trending