The Student Room Group

Applying to do medicine for a 5th time

Hi,

I'm 30 years old and I desperately want to do medicine. I've been trying to get into graduate medicine for the last five years. I've sat the gamsat 7 times, but have never been successful in getting an interview. My gamsat score is 63. My gpa is 6.2 (2:1) and my undergraduate degree is in science and maths (I like very technical things so I wouldn't do nursing).

I've spent close to 10k on exam fees, material/ tutoring for the gamsat, coaching etc. I even quit my job to go and do some volunteer work overseas because I thought it may help improve my chances of getting in (terrible I know).

Anyway, should I keep trying to get into medicine? I feel like I'm beating a dead horse and that I should just move on. But its so hard to something you really want (especially after you have invested everything in going after it).

Thanks
Have you tried applying abroad?
And also have you done the UKCAT?
Maybe UKCAT universities may take you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck , I hope you succeed this time
Don't give up.what if this was the time you actually got in.
Reply 4
To open up more chances, have you applied to the undergraduate medical courses? As you probably already know, the fees are higher and it's one year longer than graduate entry. But I have heard how competitive graduate entry is, compared to the already extremely competitive undergraduate route!

Hope it goes well for you.
Reply 5
Thanks for all the advice. I am not eligible to take the UKCAT. And I've already applied for undergrad. Unfortunately I just always seem to get rejected.

I've spent so much money and time... It's hard to believe I will ever get in. I still haven't gotten to the interview stage yet :frown:
Where are you applying? Swansea has had some pretty low GAMSAT thresholds over the last couple of yearsand SGUL is often only 2 or 3 points higher. Are you an international applicant? Are you contacting admissions ahead of application to confirm the translation of your degree class? Also what makes someone ineligible for the UKCAT? It could be worth a shot. If you don't have any evidence of recent study beyond doing GAMSAT have you thought about doing a master's?
Reply 7
Youre not eligible to take the UKCAT? Why is that? You clearly are determined to do this, and that is a HUGE factor in your application. PM me, I reckon I can help you out. Agree with the above about applying to undergrad courses. Its a year longer, but honestly there is so much to learn you will be glad of it. Im a newly qualified doctor, so I remember really clearly how stressful this is! You can get a place, it has to be strategic though, as long as you meet the entry requirements?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Zakadoh
Youre not eligible to take the UKCAT? Why is that? You clearly are determined to do this, and that is a HUGE factor in your application. PM me, I reckon I can help you out. Agree with the above about applying to undergrad courses. Its a year longer, but honestly there is so much to learn you will be glad of it. Im a newly qualified doctor, so I remember really clearly how stressful this is! You can get a place, it has to be strategic though, as long as you meet the entry requirements?

Thanks for offering to help. I'm actually in Australia, and we don't do UKCAT here. I've applied many times to do undergrad medicine (its an extra 2 years here), but have had no luck. In January I'm moving to the UK to do a masters part-time while working full-time. I'm hoping by the time I finish I will be able to do the gamsat again and get a better mark. Being an international student, it might take me several years to get in, but if I stay in Australia, I will never get into medicine.
Original post by Desperate 11
Thanks for offering to help. I'm actually in Australia, and we don't do UKCAT here. I've applied many times to do undergrad medicine (its an extra 2 years here), but have had no luck. In January I'm moving to the UK to do a masters part-time while working full-time. I'm hoping by the time I finish I will be able to do the gamsat again and get a better mark. Being an international student, it might take me several years to get in, but if I stay in Australia, I will never get into medicine.

Why not attempt the UKCAT when you come over for your master's?
Original post by realtimme
Your GAMSAT score puts you in the top ~25%, why haven't you got an interview? I refuse to believe that Australian Universities that are part of the GAMSAT consortium all have >63 GAMSAT cut-offs. What are your section breakdowns? Don't give up though!

If it's anything like in the UK, getting under 50 in one of more sections (or 55 in some places) is an automatic rejection even if the overall score is crazy high.
Are you getting through to interview?
Original post by Desperate 11

Full time work plus a part time masters will be so much work! How part time are we talking?! **
Original post by realtimme
Your GAMSAT score puts you in the top ~25%, why haven't you got an interview? I refuse to believe that Australian Universities that are part of the GAMSAT consortium all have >63 GAMSAT cut-offs. What are your section breakdowns? Don't give up though!

It is very difficult here as 63 is considered a low score. Most schools require 68 or higher.

I will try for the UKCAT next year. I'm sure its going be extremely expensive to study medicine in the UK but its my only hope. I don't feel that I have any other options.

Thanks for all the advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending