The Student Room Group

Computer Science / Software Engineering, Bachelors then Masters / Integrated Masters?

Hello, I'd like to hear a few opinions on the following courses.

Should I do MSci Computer Science OR MEng Software Engineering,

OR: BSc Computer Science then MSc Computer Science

OR: BEng Software Engineering then MSc Software Engineering

(OR BEng Software Engineering then MSc Computer Science)

OR: (this is what I'm planning to do) BSc Computer Science, and then MSc Software Engineering

Is doing BSc and MSc separate going to be better than MSci?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ukcolBehT
Hello, I'd like to hear a few opinions on the following courses.

Should I do MSci Computer Science OR MEng Software Engineering,

OR: BSc Computer Science then MSc Computer Science

OR: BEng Software Engineering then MSc Software Engineering

(OR BEng Software Engineering then MSc Computer Science)

OR: (this is what I'm planning to do) BSc Computer Science, and then MSc Software Engineering

Is doing BSc and MSc separate going to be better than MSci?

Thank you

Both the MEng and MSci qualify for full SFE funding.
The MSc only qualifies for the Postgrad Loan which is not as generous. (Max £10k including tuition & living)

So from a finance perspective the MEng or MSci is the way to go.

As to the difference between CompSci and Software Engineering, you'll have to look at the detailed course descriptions. But CompSci is typically a bit more theoretical/academic than Software Engineering.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
Both the MEng and MSci qualify for full SFE funding.
The MSc only qualifies for the Postgrad loan which is not as generous. (Max £10k including tuition & living)

So from a finance perspective the MEng or MSci is the way to go.

As to the difference between CompSci and Software Engineering, you'll have to look at the detailed course descriptions. But CompSci is typically a bit more theoretical/academic than Software Engineering.

Do employers view it differently?

After more research, I found that the two courses are virtually identical. When looking at the modules I literally have the option to choose exactly the same modules for both degrees. The only difference is that with the Software Engineering 2 out of your optional modules are from a list of 4 (all these 4 are also available to choose from in the computer science course, without the restriction).

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programmes/g401-meng-computer-science-4-yrs/#modules

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programmes/g600-meng-software-engineering-4-yrs/#modules

I will most likely go with Computer Science, but not entirely sure if BSc then MSc(potentially from a better uni) or MSci/MEng
Reply 3
Do employers view it differently?

After more research, I found that the two courses are virtually identical. When looking at the modules I literally have the option to choose exactly the same modules for both degrees. The only difference is that with the Software Engineering 2 out of your optional modules are from a list of 4 (all these 4 are also available to choose from in the computer science course, without the restriction).

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programmes/g401-meng-computer-science-4-yrs/#modules

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programmes/g600-meng-software-engineering-4-yrs/#modules

I will most likely go with Computer Science, but not entirely sure if BSc then MSc(potentially from a better uni) or MSci/MEng

Employers don't generally care. They also don't much care which university you went to so for employment purposes there's no huge benefit doing an MSc at a "better" uni.

Also you can always start on the 4 year course route and then decide to "downgrade" to "just" the BEng/BSc after a year or 2 if you want. Many people do this, especially if they do well in their placement year and are lucky enough to get offered a full-time position... that's much more important than an MSc. :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Employers don't generally care. They also don't much care which university you went to so for employment purposes there's no huge benefit doing an MSc at a "better" uni.

Also you can always start on the 4 year course route and then decide to "downgrade" to "just" the BEng/BSc after a year or 2 if you want. Many people do this, especially if they do well in their placement year and are lucky enough to get offered a full-time position... that's much more important than an MSc. :wink:

Employers in IT don't care. If OP wanted to open doors to selective areas like high finance and law then an MSc from a solid uni would help him with exactly that.
Reply 5
Original post by TrojanH
Employers in IT don't care. If OP wanted to open doors to selective areas like high finance and law then an MSc from a solid uni would help him with exactly that.

Hence "generally".

But even then you can still get into IB from Southampton...
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
Hence "generally".

But even then you can still get into IB from Southampton...

Hahah ffs I thought Soton was like some alley down Birmingham handing out degrees in, "computer science".
Reply 7
Original post by TrojanH
Hahah ffs I thought Soton was like some alley down Birmingham handing out degrees in, "computer science".

So worth it to do BSc at Southampton and then MSc at ICL, UCL or Oxbridge, or do MEng?
Reply 8
So worth it to do BSc at Southampton and then MSc at ICL, UCL or Oxbridge, or do MEng?

What sort of career do you want?

There will be no difference in terms of how you're perceived for software between Soton and those universities. It is entirely down to your technical ability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
What sort of career do you want?

Software Engineering role, I assume for the jobs in very successful companies it's going to be competitive (especially Banks)
Reply 11
Software Engineering role, I assume for the jobs in very successful companies it's going to be competitive (especially Banks)

MEng at Soton.

Plus relevant extra curriculars, internships, etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by jneill
MEng at Soton.

Plus relevant extra curriculars, internships, etc etc

For what reasons not the MSc?
Need a ****ing degree to understand the permutations of OP's subject choice.
Reply 14
For what reasons not the MSc?

The MEng is more efficient funding-wise, and there's no need for an MSc from a "better" university.
Reply 15
Original post by Supersaps
Need a ****ing degree to understand the permutations of OP's subject choice.

The Computer Science/Software Engineering question is not relevant anymore, so the current choice is: MSci Computer Science OR BSc then MSc
The Computer Science/Software Engineering question is not relevant anymore, so the current choice is: MSci Computer Science OR BSc then MSc

Just go with whichever has lower entry and then decide to move up or move down 1/2 year in.
Reply 17
Original post by TrojanH
Just go with whichever has lower entry and then decide to move up or move down 1/2 year in.

For the universities that clearly state that one can freely move up after the second year and that have lower BSc requirements I am definitely applying for the BSc.

But I still have to make the same choice.
For the universities that clearly state that one can freely move up after the second year and that have lower BSc requirements I am definitely applying for the BSc.

But I still have to make the same choice.

Literally anything. You're overthinking it. Apply for the BSc programmes and if your grades go well you'll get asked about moving up.
Reply 19

MSci for the same reason as the MEng. (Funding is easier.)

Or, as per others, start with BSc and then move up to MSci.

A standalone MSc is not needed.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest