The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by teenhorrorstory
Why did the officer shoot multiple times?

'Lawyer Sean Walton said there are witnesses who do not corroborate what authorities say happened."There are allegations that have been made regarding his actions, and those allegations cannot be taken as factual until a thorough, unbiased investigation has taken place," he added. '

What are you suggesting here?*
Reply 81

Because real life isn't a movie and a threat isn't likely to be neutralised by one shot.
Reply 82
Original post by Jammy Duel
So the police now have super powers meaning they can tell whether a gun I'd "real" or not the moment they see it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reading is fundamental. That is not what I implied at all. I'm analysing the boys potential thought process not the officers. The boy knew that his gun is a toy and the officers gun is real, so it would make no sense for him to have a stand off, when he knows that once push comes to shove he will have no way to defend himself.

The only feasible narrative is that he tried to forfeit his weapon or the police was trigger happy and just lied.
Reply 83
Original post by KimKallstrom
- Cop shoots NFL player-sized guy when he was being charged at, moments after said guy had tried to wrestle the cop's gun from him in Ferguson, Missouri

- Riot and destroy Ferguson, Missouri cuz racism. *BLM logic.*

The militarised police force provoked a riot by purposefully intimidating and attacking peaceful protesters. They were clearly antogonistic, there's plenty of reports and video evidence of them being violent towards journalists/reporters too. Nice try
Reply 84
Original post by Truths
The militarised police force provoked a riot by purposefully intimidating and attacking peaceful protesters. They were clearly antogonistic, there's plenty of reports and video evidence of them being violent towards journalists/reporters too. Nice try

And the gun shots fired at police was nothing
Reply 85
Original post by Truths
Reading is fundamental. That is not what I implied at all. I'm analysing the boys potential thought process not the officers. The boy knew that his gun is a toy and the officers gun is real, so it would make no sense for him to have a stand off, when he knows that once push comes to shove he will have no way to defend himself.

The only feasible narrative is that he tried to forfeit his weapon or the police was trigger happy and just lied.

You mean the only narrative you can use to push your agenda.
Reply 86
Original post by joecphillips
And the gun shots fired at police was nothing

As I said. The militarised police force escalated matters. It was peaceful until protestors were antagonised. Peaceful protest/right to assemble and freedom of press are principles purposefully written into the constitution so revolutions and systemic resolutions can be achieved without bloodshed. You can't take away those rights from people and expect them remain nonviolent.
image.jpegInteresting...
Will need to find a legit source to back this up.
The fact that people are excusing this incident on the grounds that he had a fake gun and should have known better than to point it at police is unbelievable. This would not have happened in the UK. Surely the police would have given the boy the benefit of the doubt believing a kid wouldn't be carrying a real gun? and if they thought that a CHILD had the possibility of obtaining a gun, doesn't that suggest something about american society?

He's a child. It may look like a real gun, yes, but wouldn't you think it was probably a fake gun due to his age? That a boy that young probably didn't know how to properly work a real gun and wouldn't have been much danger anyway?

American police are bad at their job. British police know how to safely disarm a suspect without causing harm to themselves or the individual.
Original post by epage
The fact that people are excusing this incident on the grounds that he had a fake gun and should have known better than to point it at police is unbelievable. This would not have happened in the UK. Surely the police would have given the boy the benefit of the doubt believing a kid wouldn't be carrying a real gun? and if they thought that a CHILD had the possibility of obtaining a gun, doesn't that suggest something about american society?

He's a child. It may look like a real gun, yes, but wouldn't you think it was probably a fake gun due to his age? That a boy that young probably didn't know how to properly work a real gun and wouldn't have been much danger anyway?

American police are bad at their job. British police know how to safely disarm a suspect without causing harm to themselves or the individual.

A child who was an armed robbery suspect.

There's one key difference between the US and the UK, and it's gun crime. Guns are everywhere in the US, and people are a lot more likely to be carrying them - criminals especially. Kids can get their hands on them too, and it's happened before.

About fifty police officers are killed in the line of duty every year in the US on average, so their officers don't like taking chances when guns are drawn. You're making a comparison between a nation with astronomical amounts of gun crime and a nation with very little gun crime where most officers aren't even armed. It's not that their officers are bad at their jobs; it's that they face risks on a daily basis that British police officers do not.
Reply 90
image.jpegInteresting...
Is it remotely possible that the police officer, believing Master King was armed, though he might have been running to hide behind a car or wall or tree or whatever and then shoot at him? As others have said, US police officers are much more likely to face an armed criminal and go to work every day thinking it might be their last.

And besides, I'm not sure what his height and weight have got to do with it. He presumably had 10 fingers including two sometimes referred to as the index or trigger finger. I assume if he had the strength to run he had the strength to pull a gun trigger. See, it's easy to make a narrative suit a 'take' on a subject.

We in the UK cannot reasonable compare our own situation (i.e. right to bear arms, armed police) with that of the States
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Crijjkal
A police officer shot and killed a 13-year-old armed robbery suspect in Ohio's capital after the boy pulled a BB gun out of his waistband, police said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/15/us/ohio-columbus-police-kill-teen/

Will BLM take hold of this event to further their agenda ?

The fact that he is black is irrelevant.

The fact that he is 13 years old is irrelevant.

The fact that the gun wasn't real is irrelevant.

All that is relevant is that he was suspected of having been involved in an armed robbery and when confronted by the police pulled out a firearm.

The police officer did exactly the right thing in this situation.

He fired multiple times because that's what officers are trained to do.

Contrary to what you see in the movies a single shot from a handgun will not stop a person. Anybody, especially if they're pumped up with adrenaline, can easily continue to act unimpeded even after being shot multiple times and as such they remain a threat to the officer.

Police officers are trained to continue firing until the suspect is no longer a threat.
Original post by liviward36
Educate yourselves.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/11/arent-more-white-people-than-black-people-killed-by-police-yes-but-no/?utm_term=.82cd46083c7e

I really can't believe I live in a world where people are saying a child deserved to be murdered - because that's what it is. If this was a white child, without a doubt, this would be equally wrong! But the issue here lies in the institutional racism within America. There is undoubtable an issue and if you say otherwise you are wrong. Read a history book on American civil rights and tell me that there is progress. Ignoring racism won't make it go away. Educate yourselves first.

And don't get me started on America's lax gun control.

Nobody is saying that the kid deserved to die.

However the fact of the matter is that he chose to leave his house with a realistic firearm in his possession. He chose to involve himself with an armed robbery. He chose to ignore orders from the police. He chose to draw his weapon.

He gave the police officer no choice but to fire.
Original post by Crijjkal
A police officer shot and killed a 13-year-old armed robbery suspect in Ohio's capital after the boy pulled a BB gun out of his waistband, police said.

Of those killed in police shootings in America, 49% are white and 24% are black. Whites in America are 62% of the population while blacks are 13%. So black people are somewhat over-represented.

But what the figures don't really show are how many of those shootings are, quote unquote, "justified". For example, the murder rate in Chicago is absolutely astronomical because of black people killing black people in drug-related violence. In fact there was an excellent BBC short on it (about 15 minutes)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37292306

Chicago, with a population of around 6 million, had 540 murders last year. The entire UK with a population around ten times that had around 520 murders. So there are significant economic issues in black communities, which might make police more likely to shoot.

Overall the "race" issue in America is one that has to be tackled economically. And the issue of American police being too trigger happy has to be addressed. But I do not accept there is some kind of racist conspiracy by police to murder black people, iirc there was a study showing black police officers are just as likely to shoot black people as white police officers.
Original post by AlexanderHam
Of those killed in police shootings in America, 49% are white and 24% are black. Whites in America are 62% of the population while blacks are 13%. So black people are somewhat over-represented.

Of those killed in police shootings in America 24% are black, while they commit over half of homicides, so blacks are somewhat underrepresented.

Black on white robbery is more than 12 times as common as white on black.

More than 3 times as many black gang members as white gang members, despite the latter group as a whole being nearly 5 times the size, a random black is 15 times as likely to be a gang member as a random white.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by AlexanderHam

But what the figures don't really show are how many of those shootings are, quote unquote, "justified". For example, the murder rate in Chicago is absolutely astronomical because of black people killing black people in drug-related violence. In fact there was an excellent BBC short on it (about 15 minutes)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37292306

Chicago, with a population of around 6 million, had 540 murders last year. The entire UK with a population around ten times that had around 520 murders. So there are significant economic issues in black communities, which might make police more likely to shoot.

Overall the "race" issue in America is one that has to be tackled economically. And the issue of American police being too trigger happy has to be addressed. But I do not accept there is some kind of racist conspiracy by police to murder black people, iirc there was a study showing black police officers are just as likely to shoot black people as white police officers.

Poor stat police don't go round shooting random people they shoot criminals/suspects and when blacks commit around half of violent crime I would say they are under represented.
image.jpegInteresting...

Posted by Shaun King, the wannabe black guy. Pathetic.
Wow
Video shows unarmed man with hands up being shot in Oklahoma - Sky News
https://apple.news/ARnWk6E9ySlC69X_dWYtUCw
Reply 99
Wow
Video shows unarmed man with hands up being shot in Oklahoma - Sky News
https://apple.news/ARnWk6E9ySlC69X_dWYtUCw

"It is not clear from the footage what led Betty Shelby, the officer who fired the fatal shot, to draw her gun or what orders officers might have given Mr Crutcher."

How about "Stop or I'll shoot" because the officer was concerned that a gun may have been in the car.

Would YOU take the chance if in the officer's shoes?
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending