The Student Room Group

What is your opinion on food bank users?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
nothing bad. they're using food banks because they're too poor to afford supermarket food. thats quite sad
Original post by SMEGGGY
Provisions? like what? food banks?

Like Unemployment benefits etc
They are there for those who genuinely need it not for the lazy tossers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ELVsLP
nothing bad. they're using food banks because they're too poor to afford supermarket food. thats quite sad

I've always found it weird when I see people claiming they need £30 a week for food when interviewed. I've managed on £6-£10 a week before fairly easily, all from local supermarkets.
I tend not to generalize. There are genuine people who face hardship and they shouldn't be stigmatized.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
I love how you've managed to blame this on Labour when the rise on food bank use happened after the Conservatives got into power in 2010. Benefit restrictions and unfair sanctions are a big part of why people use food banks, and the Conservatives were not forced to do that, given how little money (in the grand scheme of things) benefits cost. The Conservatives are more to blame for it than Labour.

Are you actually high?

Social Security benefits (not including pensions) budget is more than all other government departments spending put together except for the NHS and education. That's all of transport, policing, national security, defence, agriculture, trade and industry - everything - all added up doesn't match what we spend on benefits.

We spend like £7000 per second on non-pension benefits.

In the time it's taken to write this post, half a million pounds has been spent on benefits.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SummerStrawberry
They're people who have fallen upon hard times and need to feed themselves whilst they get back on their feet. They haven't necessarily failed at life unless they let their situation do that to them, and they most certainly haven't decided to take an "easy life". They deserve just as much respect as any other human being, and sometimes even more.

I don't think that people using food banks is a sad reflection on our society - if anything it's a symbol that we're willing to help others. However, it is a sad reflection on our society that people often struggle to have the self-confidence, skills, and qualifications to actually get to a position where they are no longer reliant upon a food bank to feed themselves.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest