The Student Room Group

A LEVEL MATHS AND FURTHER MATHS.. Is it worth it?

So I've just started as level biology, chemistry , maths and further maths. I was wondering whether it's worth doing further maths as to get in to uni , you only need 3 a levels . Will it be worth it?
What uni course are you going to do?
depends strongly on what you want to do. if you're like me and you aim to do maths i strongly recommend AS level Further maths, not so much A2 unless you go for top uni's. i recommend the AS as in your first year you probably go back over that stuff. also if you get one grade below the entry requirements further maths helps a lot
Reply 3
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
What uni course are you going to do?

I haven't really decided but something to do with science
Reply 4
Original post by Toasticide
depends strongly on what you want to do. if you're like me and you aim to do maths i strongly recommend AS level Further maths, not so much A2 unless you go for top uni's. i recommend the AS as in your first year you probably go back over that stuff. also if you get one grade below the entry requirements further maths helps a lot

But if I only do it up to As level, it won't count for anything , will it?
Original post by rb16
But if I only do it up to As level, it won't count for anything , will it?

okay yes, it's only worth 40% of the potential UMS i believe or something low like that. however uni's will hapilly be flexible with their offers especially if they see FM. plus if you enjoy maths its quite good fun and its good for your personal statement to show you have passion by spending more time with maths. however yes, it isnt that useful UMS wise so be aware of that.
Reply 6
okay yes, it's only worth 40% of the potential UMS i believe or something low like that. however uni's will hapilly be flexible with their offers especially if they see FM. plus if you enjoy maths its quite good fun and its good for your personal statement to show you have passion by spending more time with maths. however yes, it isnt that useful UMS wise so be aware of that.

That's my only concern because if I continue doing further maths and decide to drop it after as level, it would be waste of my time as I won't get any UMS
Original post by rb16
That's my only concern because if I continue doing further maths and decide to drop it after as level, it would be waste of my time as I won't get any UMS

to be honest, further maths isnt vital to getting to uni, and im studying it just for flexibility (and because i enjoy maths a lot). it all depends really on how high you're aiming, if you're going to a middle uni then i say drop further maths. if youre going nearer to the top id say do the AS, see how easy it is (if its crazy hard, drop it, if its easy carry it on) and if you're going for the very top (imperial college, oxford cambridge etc) then its absolutely vital
Hi I have a query. I do A2 Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. Say I'm predicted A*AC respectively would the unis that require A*AA-AAA for their maths courses be lenient with me provided they are satisfied with my PS, GCSEs etc?
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Hi I have a query. I do A2 Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. Say I'm predicted A*AC respectively would the unis that require A*AA-AAA for their maths courses be lenient with me provided they are satisfied with my PS, GCSEs etc?

depends on if further maths is in the entry requirements too. if yes then i doubt it, but hey, im not even in uni yet so what do i know. but if FM is not in the requirements then as long as ur personal statement is very good i think you can get in. all depends on how many applicants there are in your entry year and how soon you send off the application. they're more flexible earlier on in the application process.
It also depends hugely on if you want to do a BSc or MMath. MMath has naturally a lot higher requirements so there's a bit less flexibility.
(edited 7 years ago)
depends on if further maths is in the entry requirements too. if yes then i doubt it, but hey, im not even in uni yet so what do i know. but if FM is not in the requirements then as long as ur personal statement is very good i think you can get in. all depends on how many applicants there are in your entry year and how soon you send off the application. they're more flexible earlier on in the application process.
It also depends hugely on if you want to do a BSc or MMath. MMath has naturally a lot higher requirements so there's a bit less flexibility.

Cool, thanks. You want to do Maths course at uni as well? What A Levels are you currently doing?
Original post by rb16

Maths is still modular so the AS counts 50% of the whole A level.

The applied modules are flexible so are not tied to Maths/F Maths.
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Cool, thanks. You want to do Maths course at uni as well? What A Levels are you currently doing?

i am currently doing A2 maths, chemistry and physics and AS Further maths
I wouldn't do further maths, universities do rate it obviously. But further maths is often seen as an add on rather than a separate qualification. Like loads of my teachers told me that further maths is only viewed as half an A-level as it is so similar to normal maths. Some unis do not even accept it as a separate A-level. In my view there is no point, your better off studying a different subject entirely.
Are there January 2017 exams for edexcel further maths in the UK that I can enter at a private exam center or are there only June exams?

Quick Reply

Latest