The Student Room Group

Can I quit my placement year?

I have been on placement now for 6 weeks and absolutely hate it. My job has turned out to be very irrelevant to my degree and I absolutely hate it. I am doing a computer science degree focusing on programming and my placement so far has been closer to IT with very little programming. I feel that if i stick it out I will be wasting a year of my life. So does anyone know if It it possible to quit and try to get another placement further down the line?
Original post by Skorzah
I have been on placement now for 6 weeks and absolutely hate it. My job has turned out to be very irrelevant to my degree and I absolutely hate it. I am doing a computer science degree focusing on programming and my placement so far has been closer to IT with very little programming. I feel that if i stick it out I will be wasting a year of my life. So does anyone know if It it possible to quit and try to get another placement further down the line?

You have to consider that most people end up in jobs unrelated to their degree and that all experience is extremely valuable. However if you really don't like it, you need to consult your university first, they will say what will happen- if you can start with the 3rd years now, or if you have to wait until next year. If you have to wait you need to consider what else you want to do. Yes you can try again for another placement, but no guarentee it will be exactly what you want next time either.
Original post by Skorzah

Check the terms of your contract, but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't hand in your notice. But if you can't get another placement, it may end up being a waste of a year - especially if the placement is an assessed part of the course.

The role you're doing in your placement year doesn't have to define your career, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending