The Student Room Group

Should i start taking notes?

I barely write notes, and when i do, i write down the most crucial information or things i would easily forget. But for the rest i merely watch youtube videos look through textbooks, ask question on TSR do some outside research and i find myself understanding it (without taking notes). From the notes i have to write i don't look back at them often, my instant source of information is the internet, i find it faster to obtain the knowledge i need to completely understand something and clear up any misconceptions i may have about it, and particularly for subjects like Physics and Chemistry it gives me further insight on how things act on a microscopic level to understand why things happen the way they do on a macroscopic level. Anyway my teacher says i will not perform well if i don't take notes, but i don't believe that their is any absolute correlation between writing notes and getting good grades. After my AS exams most of the people who wrote a hefty amount of notes ended up with C's and D's with the exception of a single person getting an A while i rarely referred to the little notes i wrote and ended up with a (and i don't mean to sound arrogant btw, if that is how it comes across) B. I believe that it's simply dependent on the person's work style and so writing notes may not be the most effective way to achieve good/great/stellar grades. i know that teachers may need notes to gauge the extent of my knowledge and understanding of a topic, but it may not be quite accurate, a better way to gain insight on this would be through tests or examinations. My teachers seem to object though, any thoughts, should i take notes?
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
I barely write notes, and when i do, i write down the most crucial information or things i would easily forget. But for the rest i merely watch youtube videos look through textbooks, ask question on TSR do some outside research and i find myself understanding it (without taking notes). From the notes i have to write i don't look back at them often, my instant source of information is the internet, i find it faster to obtain the knowledge i need to completely understand something and clear up any misconceptions i may have about it, and particularly for subjects like Physics and Chemistry it gives me further insight on how things act on a microscopic level to understand why things happen the way they do on a macroscopic level. Anyway my teacher says i will not perform well if i don't take notes, but i don't believe that their is any absolute correlation between writing notes and getting good grades. After my AS exams most of the people who wrote a hefty amount of notes ended up with C's and D's with the exception of a single person getting an A while i rarely referred to the little notes i wrote and ended up with a (and i don't mean to sound arrogant btw, if that is how it comes across) B. I believe that it's simply dependent on the person's work style and so writing notes may not be the most effective way to achieve good/great/stellar grades. i know that teachers may need notes to gauge the extent of my knowledge and understanding of a topic, but it may not be quite accurate, a better way to gain insight on this would be through tests or examinations. My teachers seem to object though, any thoughts, should i take notes?

It would be worth keeping some kind of notes, even if not detailed. You may want to refer back to them later on, and you want to keep your teachers on your side. If they're worried about your lack of note taking, they may think you're being lazy and not applying yourself as much as you could be. If you need a favour from them at some point, especially with anything work or uni related, they could be more inclined to grant it if you're in their good books. Like you said, it helps them see where you're at as well. They won't want to create extra work by looking at notes from other students, and having to mark mock tests from you
Original post by chelseadagg3r
It would be worth keeping some kind of notes, even if not detailed. You may want to refer back to them later on, and you want to keep your teachers on your side. If they're worried about your lack of note taking, they may think you're being lazy and not applying yourself as much as you could be. If you need a favour from them at some point, especially with anything work or uni related, they could be more inclined to grant it if you're in their good books. Like you said, it helps them see where you're at as well. They won't want to create extra work by looking at notes from other students, and having to mark mock tests from you
Thing is i rarely need their help, i actually gain more insight on things from my personal Physics and Chemistry tutors than i do with my school teachers, and at a substantially faster rate. I think the tests, homework and exams the school teachers give out is a better way of finding out how much i actually understand, because they require me to apply my knowledge and from that they can make a prediction on the extent of my understanding of the course, based on the grade i get and detail of my answers.

They even say that they rarely have anything that could showcase the progress i have made in the course to my parents unless they set a test.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I think we should to write.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending