The Student Room Group

Deloitte BrightStart Higher Apprenticeship Scheme 2017

Anyone else applying for this?

I'm applying to Birmingham, with London as my back-up. I think I'd want to go into Tax, though I'm trying to learn more about Audit.

I submitted my application on the 12th September, got an invitation to do the Firefly game on the 15th, and completed it the same evening.

Does anyone know how much weight they put on the Firefly game results? I don't really know what traits they're looking for, but I'm worried that the results I got weren't the best...

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I applying to Deloitte and PwC for tax as well.
I think Deloitte will let you take the tests before assessing your application as a whole, so if you didn't do too well you have a chance to make up for it with the online tests.
Also i was wondering, is there any reason you prefer for Deloitte over the other 3 accountancy firms?
Have you guys done the numerical/verbal tests yet?
Original post by Master Clownfish
Hey, I applying to Deloitte and PwC for tax as well.
I think Deloitte will let you take the tests before assessing your application as a whole, so if you didn't do too well you have a chance to make up for it with the online tests.
Also i was wondering, is there any reason you prefer for Deloitte over the other 3 accountancy firms?

Simply because the other three didn't appear to have anything quite like the BrightStart scheme. I'm not interested in being funded to go to uni, as I have found uni isn't for me, but a higher apprenticeship seems perfect.

Original post by popcornjpg
Have you guys done the numerical/verbal tests yet?

Not yet. I'm looking at the practice questions- do they not give you results??
Yeah
I did the tests, but I don't think I did too well.
I kind of rushed into them, just to get them over and done with.
Hopefully they'll let me know if I got in by tomorrow.
Yeah
I did the tests, but I don't think I did too well.
I kind of rushed into them, just to get them over and done with.
Hopefully they'll let me know if I got in by tomorrow.

Where were you applying to if you dont mind me asking?
I applied for the London BrightStart Tax scheme.
I applied for the 2016 scheme as well, and made it to the Assessment Centre stage but all the spaces got filled up before I even got to go;
Hence me rushing through the online application stage
I applied for the London BrightStart Tax scheme.
I applied for the 2016 scheme as well, and made it to the Assessment Centre stage but all the spaces got filled up before I even got to go;
Hence me rushing through the online application stage

Ah, that sounds frustrating. Do you mind me asking when in the year you applied? I've been paranoid that Birmingham will fill up before I get a chance to take a place.
What were the tests like? Relatively simple questions or very complicated?
Original post by MolluscMollusc
Ah, that sounds frustrating. Do you mind me asking when in the year you applied? I've been paranoid that Birmingham will fill up before I get a chance to take a place.

July 2nd (literally two and half months ago). Relax. You've got time. The only reason I rushed through it without putting too much effort in was because I was irritated. I had already passed, and now I have to go through the whole process again. I really hope that it doesn't cost me my place though. I really want offers from Deloitte and PwC.
The situational judgement's just really long. The best thing to do there is just be honest.
The numerical reasoning is time recorded. Its not hard, but it's not the easiest I've come across. I thought it was somewhat more difficult then PwC's numerical reasoning. It's no more complicated then GCSE math, if your mental maths is good you should be okay. Also since it's time recorded and you want to do it as quickly as possible; I think it'd be better to use your common sense. For example if they ask you which quarter had the greatest profits instead of putting all the numbers in your calculator, find the two with the highest numbers and focus on those. (If that makes any sense)

The verbal critical reasoning was easier than the 2016 application. but still quite hard. I'd recommend taking your time with that
(edited 7 years ago)

Anything in particular I should practice for numerical reasoning? Think i'll do the tests tonight. I'm so damn nervous...
Anything in particular I should practice for numerical reasoning? Think i'll do the tests tonight. I'm so damn nervous...

Relax, you'll be fine. If you can do the numerical reasoning on SHL then you should be fine for Deloitte. The format will be different but it's just assessing your ability. And Deloitte's tests are significantly easier than SHL

I would focus/practice more on the verbal critical reasoning, as there are aspects of that that are quite difficult.
Also the Jobmi website has practically the same format test for verbal critical reasoning
Also make sure you're sharp when taking the tests. Maybe some red bull?

Oh I got my email today.
I got through :biggrin:
Relax, you'll be fine. If you can do the numerical reasoning on SHL then you should be fine for Deloitte. The format will be different but it's just assessing your ability. And Deloitte's tests are significantly easier than SHL

I would focus/practice more on the verbal critical reasoning, as there are aspects of that that are quite difficult.
Also the Jobmi website has practically the same format test for verbal critical reasoning
Also make sure you're sharp when taking the tests. Maybe some red bull?

Oh I got my email today.
I got through :biggrin:

Congrats!!

I just took the tests this evening. They were a lot easier than I was expecting. I had to do similar tests as part of the application for my current job, and they were much more difficult and took 3 hours... I don't know why I was so worried tbh...

Watch me say all that and then not get through :tongue:
Obsessively refreshing my emails- the waiting game kills me.
Obsessively refreshing my emails- the waiting game kills me.

Ahh lool
You'll most likely get a response tomorrow. Good luck! :biggrin:Btw have you got feedback from your tests yest?

Also the next stage is the service line questionnaire (This was the most stressful stage for me - I couldn't decide what to pick). So start researching what you want to do
Ahh lool
You'll most likely get a response tomorrow. Good luck! :biggrin:Btw have you got feedback from your tests yest?

Also the next stage is the service line questionnaire (This was the most stressful stage for me - I couldn't decide what to pick). So start researching what you want to do

I actually got an email today- got through!

I've gone for the indirect tax consulting route. Done a bit of research, but will probably do more at work tomorrow, since we're having such a quiet month.

And no, I've not had any feedback,other than that i passed. Would be interested to see exactly how i did....

I hope they don't take too long to get back to me about the interview...

Anyone know what the first interview consists of?
Reply 17
Hey, I've applied for Audit and I passed the online tests back in August, so I'm a bit nervous that they haven't given me a date for the next stage yet - perhaps I applied a bit early? :angry:
Anyway, the website says next stage is assessment centre but the e-mail says it's an interview so I'm a bit confused as to what's next - I'm assuming assessment centre
Original post by klefki
Hey, I've applied for Audit and I passed the online tests back in August, so I'm a bit nervous that they haven't given me a date for the next stage yet - perhaps I applied a bit early? :angry:
Anyway, the website says next stage is assessment centre but the e-mail says it's an interview so I'm a bit confused as to what's next - I'm assuming assessment centre

It's the assessment center :smile:

I've had my invite around a week ago, but it depends on where you're applying to, which service line, and how busy they are. I've applied to Birmngham. I think London takes longer?

Anyone going to be on the online chat today?
Reply 19
It's the assessment center :smile:

I've had my invite around a week ago, but it depends on where you're applying to, which service line, and how busy they are. I've applied to Birmngham. I think London takes longer?

Anyone going to be on the online chat today?

Did you get a general invite to the next stage or an actual date? I went to a Deloitte careers event a few days ago and they said the partners are so busy with promotions around unis at this time of year that it takes ages, so I'm a little less worried now :smile:

Quick Reply