The Student Room Group

How to explain to ucas bad gcse grades due to illness? HELP

Hi , when taking my GCSES in year 10-11 I suffered extreme anxiety where I was shaking, throwing up constantly every day. I had a terrible time during GCSES and for my MOCKS the grades I achieved were
English : A
English lit: A
Additional Science: A
Maths:B
Spanish: B
Food Tech:A
Design Tech: B
R.E: A*

I was doing okay at school , was in a good patch and my anxiety was minimised because knowing they weren't the real thing kept me somewhat calmer, however I was still very anxious..and this was after working quite hard but my hopes had been to improve all those grades for the real thing...
However I hit a particularly bad patch of anxiety/depression about February and it continued unfortunately right through the rest of the year...
basically I couldn't cope and was unable to properly function, I ended up in hospital for a couple of days ... I did get given rest breaks during exams which was meant to help me but ultimately it gave me more time to panic (which is what I did in the first exam) However after that exam for some reason I completely shut off and was barely existing.

Therefore for my actual GCSE results I obtained
-English lit: C
English Lan: C
Maths: B
Additional Science: C
Spanish: C
R.E : F!!!!

From year 10
Core Science: C
P.E: B
ICT nationals: Pass

As you can see from above, I was forced to drop 3 subjects ...my school forced me to because they knew I couldn't cope even though I didn't want to drop all of them. I also got a big fat F in R.E, went from A* to F...
Most of the exams I only scraped/achieved C's do to the fact that all my coursework was A grade. My teachers knew I was capable from all my essays/class work etc.. and ultimately my mocks

Anyway I am doing much better now and my life is much better :smile:
I'm in my second year at college and I finished my first year with D*D* grades in my health studies BTEC (nursing and midwifery pathway) hope to achieve D*D*D* to be able to go to uni and study Midwifery.

Yes Midwifery, probably one of the most competitive things I could have chosen...
My big question is I am currently in the process of applying to uni and obviously you have to write your GCSE grades obtained... BUT the thing is after getting such good grades at college and due to illness ..is there any way I can explain to the uni's that I'm capable and show them my mock grades or doctors notes which proves I AM capable, I just hit a very rough patch during GCSES
I can't find anywhere on the ucas form to explain myself so I was wondering what I should do about it because midwifery is very highly extremely competitive and even though I've done well at college, I don't know how I'm going to get around this whole GCSE problem..

Any advice would be useful , I want to become a Midwife so badly and it's my dream since I've turned my life around!
Please help!
Reply 1
Original post by midwife101
Hi , when taking my GCSES in year 10-11 I suffered extreme anxiety where I was shaking, throwing up constantly every day. I had a terrible time during GCSES and for my MOCKS the grades I achieved were
English : A
English lit: A
Additional Science: A
Maths:B
Spanish: B
Food Tech:A
Design Tech: B
R.E: A*

I was doing okay at school , was in a good patch and my anxiety was minimised because knowing they weren't the real thing kept me somewhat calmer, however I was still very anxious..and this was after working quite hard but my hopes had been to improve all those grades for the real thing...
However I hit a particularly bad patch of anxiety/depression about February and it continued unfortunately right through the rest of the year...
basically I couldn't cope and was unable to properly function, I ended up in hospital for a couple of days ... I did get given rest breaks during exams which was meant to help me but ultimately it gave me more time to panic (which is what I did in the first exam) However after that exam for some reason I completely shut off and was barely existing.

Therefore for my actual GCSE results I obtained
-English lit: C
English Lan: C
Maths: B
Additional Science: C
Spanish: C
R.E : F!!!!

From year 10
Core Science: C
P.E: B
ICT nationals: Pass

As you can see from above, I was forced to drop 3 subjects ...my school forced me to because they knew I couldn't cope even though I didn't want to drop all of them. I also got a big fat F in R.E, went from A* to F...
Most of the exams I only scraped/achieved C's do to the fact that all my coursework was A grade. My teachers knew I was capable from all my essays/class work etc.. and ultimately my mocks

Anyway I am doing much better now and my life is much better :smile:
I'm in my second year at college and I finished my first year with D*D* grades in my health studies BTEC (nursing and midwifery pathway) hope to achieve D*D*D* to be able to go to uni and study Midwifery.

Yes Midwifery, probably one of the most competitive things I could have chosen...
My big question is I am currently in the process of applying to uni and obviously you have to write your GCSE grades obtained... BUT the thing is after getting such good grades at college and due to illness ..is there any way I can explain to the uni's that I'm capable and show them my mock grades or doctors notes which proves I AM capable, I just hit a very rough patch during GCSES
I can't find anywhere on the ucas form to explain myself so I was wondering what I should do about it because midwifery is very highly extremely competitive and even though I've done well at college, I don't know how I'm going to get around this whole GCSE problem..

Any advice would be useful , I want to become a Midwife so badly and it's my dream since I've turned my life around!
Please help!

There's nowhere for you to explain this, as you don't explain this. You need to get your referee to explain it. They can either include this in the reference, or can send a separate email/letter to the unis.

You'll need to be careful, though. You don't want unis to think that you can't cope with the course. You will need to be able to show that you are better now.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
There's nowhere for you to explain this, as you don't explain this. You need to get your referee to explain it. They can either include this in the reference, or can send a separate email/letter to the unis.

You'll need to be careful, though. You don't want unis to think that you can't cope with the course. You will need to be able to show that you are better now.

Okay so do you think I should ask my secondary school to send a letter? Thank You for your advice, yeah I understand about unis thinking that especially for such a demanding course, just trying to think of the best way round it all since I'm perfectly fine now ya know! Thanks
Reply 3
As the other person said you can't explain anything, the referee might/should. that being said you probably should have gotten an EC at the time.
Reply 4
Okay so do you think I should ask my secondary school to send a letter? Thank You for your advice, yeah I understand about unis thinking that especially for such a demanding course, just trying to think of the best way round it all since I'm perfectly fine now ya know! Thanks

Talk to your referee and see how they want to do it. If they send a letter it has to be on headed paper (your school should have this), and if it's an email then it should be from a school email address. If you have any proof, like a medical note, then they should send a copy of this if possible.
Reply 5
Original post by Napp
As the other person said you can't explain anything, the referee might/should. that being said you probably should have gotten an EC at the time.

Okay thanks for replying, what is an EC?
Reply 6
Original post by Juno
Talk to your referee and see how they want to do it. If they send a letter it has to be on headed paper (your school should have this), and if it's an email then it should be from a school email address. If you have any proof, like a medical note, then they should send a copy of this if possible.

Thank You very much for your help, I'll take this all on board!
Reply 7
Okay thanks for replying, what is an EC?

Extenuating circumstances form. They [when granted] allow the grade to usually be adjusted to take into consideration anything that would have impacted your ability to do as well as you should have e.g. illness, death of a relative etc. etc.
Reply 8
Original post by Napp
Extenuating circumstances form. They [when granted] allow the grade to usually be adjusted to take into consideration anything that would have impacted your ability to do as well as you should have e.g. illness, death of a relative etc. etc.

Oh okay yeah I know what you mean now. thanks

They don't have to send out letters, they could just explain it within the reference itself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending