Reply 1
In what way?
Original post by alow
In what way?

Dot and cross diagram
Reply 3
Original post by nisha.sri
Dot and cross diagram

Like H2O, but with one H-F bond being dative.
Original post by alow
Like H2O, but with one H-F bond being dative.

So this is H20 what do you mean by one H-F ?
Reply 5
Original post by nisha.sri
So this is H20 what do you mean by one H-F ?

H2F+ is isoelectronic with H2O, but one of the H-F bonds is dative.
Basically just draw out the dot and cross diagram for Fluorine. The + means it's missing 1 electron so it'll have 6 in its outer shell. Then just do the 1 electron from each Hydrogen being donated to the rest of the fluorine in the dot and cross diagram. Should have 2 lone pairs and 2 bonded :smile:
Original post by everythingice
Basically just draw out the dot and cross diagram for Fluorine. The + means it's missing 1 electron so it'll have 6 in its outer shell. Then just do the 1 electron from each Hydrogen being donated to the rest of the fluorine in the dot and cross diagram. Should have 2 lone pairs and 2 bonded :smile:

What you describe would be identical to Water's dot and cross diagram and would contain no dative bond.

A better way would be to draw the diagram for HF then add on a H+ (this is better because addition of protons to HF is how the species forms)

This gives a slightly different, correct, diagram! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MexicanKeith
What you describe would be identical to Water's dot and cross diagram and would contain no dative bond.

A better way would be to draw the diagram for HF then add on a H+ (this is better because addition of protons to HF is how the species forms)

This gives a slightly different, correct, diagram! :smile:

Oh oops yeah I forgot there was another step to it. I just usually do the dot and cross thing to extablish the sort of diagram i'm doing then I do brackets around it with a plus sign and an arrow instead of a line in the compound where one of the Hs is datively bonded.

Need to do more chemistry practise haha. :biggrin:
Original post by everythingice
Oh oops yeah I forgot there was another step to it. I just usually do the dot and cross thing to extablish the sort of diagram i'm doing then I do brackets around it with a plus sign and an arrow instead of a line in the compound where one of the Hs is datively bonded.

Need to do more chemistry practise haha. :biggrin:

Just thought I'd be picky for the sake of being 100% right, your way still ends up with the right diagram in terms of the final positions of electrons, just doesn't show where they come from so well! :w00t:
Original post by MexicanKeith
Just thought I'd be picky for the sake of being 100% right, your way still ends up with the right diagram in terms of the final positions of electrons, just doesn't show where they come from so well! :w00t:

Yeah fair enough. :h:
Reply 11
Why are you the way that you are?

Latest