The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Just poppin' in on the thread to wish everyone well. I've personally been in a much better mindset since I dropped from my course in uni, although admittedly I've been feeling down these past few days! Peace and love to everyone that needs it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi peops I seeing my consultant psychiatrist in 6 weeks time, for my bi annual review. He is going to review my medication then, and then hopefully agree to reduce it by another drop. Wish me luck!
Hey everyone. I hope you're all doing well. If not then :hugs:

So, my mum kinda knows most things now regarding ED stuff. She feels really guilty for it too and I don't know why but her feeling guilty is making me feel worse??
ED stuff

Spoiler

Also still hearing voices and they're giving me various instructions, it's stressing me out because I don't know what to do but I'm so ****ing scared all the time. I hate this.

Need to get a job but I'm struggling so much with basic self-care things atm (my hair got so knotted a few days ago after not brushing it for almost 2 weeks that I almost impulsively cut it off). I'm just too depressed to do pretty much anything. Not sleeping either because of voices keeping me up or being woken up by nightmares...fml. I feel like everything has fallen apart since I graduated. haha.
Not doing too well tbh. My OCD and panic attacks are sky high and have been the last few days. I can't really tell where one ends and the other begins and its either been constant panics attacks or extremely high anxiety in between attacks so my body is physically sore and I am drained and every time I try and sleep, I take a panic attack. I can't even face leaving the house which really sucks because I could do with a hug from my mum :cry2:
I called it, my GP doesn't have my new medication ready. :angry: My CMHT are chasing it up. But I probably won't have them until tomorrow at least. :colonhash:

Also, I am so drained atm from my only lecture of the week. Honestly, it went all over my head. Urgh. How am I meant to get a degree in Politics when I can't even understand political philosophy?
Original post by Pathway

ED stuff

Spoiler

I'm sorry everything is tough for you at the moment. The way you're feeling about recovery is really common, and I have often felt the same- but once you've pushed past that point, things get so much better! You aren't stupid for feeling like this x

-
This is Ezme39, I'm posting on anon for a while because I've started getting really paranoid
This is a great thread and EVERY university should have a mental health union, where students who are suffering mental health problems can get together and discuss their issues as well as making new friends from it! I am a mature student who started uni recently and I suffer low moods and anxiety. I haven't made any friends because of my shyness and due to the fact everyone is so much younger than me - it's an awful feeling to have and today when I came back, I had a cry because of the intense loneliness and isolation I am feeling and I also thought about cutting myself again too after 2 months of not self harming. It indicates to me that I am struggling a bit and probably will do for a while but I'm sure I will be ok down the line, but I wanted to finish by saying this: mental health at uni should be addressed and taken more seriously; there's a lot more young people struggling out there than you think!
Original post by Anonymous
I'm sorry everything is tough for you at the moment. The way you're feeling about recovery is really common, and I have often felt the same- but once you've pushed past that point, things get so much better! You aren't stupid for feeling like this x

-
This is Ezme39, I'm posting on anon for a while because I've started getting really paranoid

:hugs: Yeah, I know. I just feel bad because my mum's really upset with me. :frown: I don't know how to get past that point. Thank you though. I know you're right logically.

:console: Are you okay?
Original post by Spock's Socks
Not doing too well tbh. My OCD and panic attacks are sky high and have been the last few days. I can't really tell where one ends and the other begins and its either been constant panics attacks or extremely high anxiety in between attacks so my body is physically sore and I am drained and every time I try and sleep, I take a panic attack. I can't even face leaving the house which really sucks because I could do with a hug from my mum :cry2:

:hugs:I can relate, my OCD has been awful recently. Are you on any medication for it or getting any therapy/support?

Not doing too well atm :frown: My meds (citalopram) are still making me feel awful and I'm yet to see any major improvement, I think I'm slightly less anxious but every time I leave the house the OCD kicks in meaning leaving the house takes me forever - turning all plug sockets off, shutting all windows then checking over and over and it's never really enough. I have to fight the urge to turn back every time I leave the house. I'm hoping the meds bring some relief at some point - this is my fourth week taking them.

Due to crippling anxiety and depression I failed an exam for the second time so uni aren't letting me hand in my dissertation until Spring 2017 after passing a second resit which is making me feel awful. I just want to put this whole thing behind me. I just want to pull the plug on the whole thing but my parents won't let me and I get their point. I'm trying to finish the dissertation anyway but motivation is non-existent. I mean, it was non-existent when I had to get it in due to the depression. Life is hard :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LesPaul_Player91
:hugs:I can relate, my OCD has been awful recently. Are you on any medication for it or getting any therapy/support?

Not doing too well atm :frown: My meds (citalopram) are still making me feel awful and I'm yet to see any major improvement, I think I'm slightly less anxious but every time I leave the house the OCD kicks in meaning leaving the house takes me forever - turning all plug sockets off, shutting all windows then checking over and over and it's never really enough. I have to fight the urge to turn back every time I leave the house. I'm hoping the meds bring some relief at some point - this is my fourth week taking them.

Due to crippling anxiety and depression I failed an exam for the second time so uni aren't letting me hand in my dissertation until Spring 2017 after passing a second resit which is making me feel awful. I just want to put this whole thing behind me. I just want to pull the plug on the whole thing but my parents won't let me and I get their point. I'm trying to finish it anyway but motivation is non-existent. I mean, it was non-existent when I had to get it in due to the depression. Life is hard :frown:
:hugs:
I can't take meds due to my contamination fears. I am concerned that everything I eat, drink, touch, breathe etc is laced with something such as a poison, drugs, germs etc which sounds silly but that's OCD for ya so I've not been able to take anything for it since I can't even take a painkiller even when I am in really bad pain :cry2: I did try antidepressants in the past but took a bad reaction which only strengthened my fears against them. I was getting therapy at the start of the year and off and on through my life but my therapist was a disaster and you might have already heard what happened with her :/ I saw a psychiatrist about 2 months ago and was told I would see a CPN within a week or 2 but lo and behold, nothing :frown: I'm going back to my GP later this week to discuss this with her. Its magical thoughts and paranoia I've mainly been struggling with lately but the contamination fears are always there too :frown:

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time of it too right now :frown: if you ever need to talk, feel free to mail me :hugs: I'm a Joy Division fan too :smile: They are my all time favourite band, well, joint with Simon and Garfunkel :teehee:
(edited 7 years ago)
Thumbs up to Kingston university for giving me a fast pass (lol like disney) for enrolment because of my mental health problems*:thumbsup:
Original post by Noodlzzz
Thumbs up to Kingston university for giving me a fast pass (lol like disney) for enrolment because of my mental health problems*:thumbsup:

I can confirm that the Kingston fast pass is definitely (not) like Disney!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got really triggered by therapy - having to cancel non-essential plans for the week :sad:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Got really triggered by therapy - having to cancel non-essential plans for the week :sad:

I hope you're ok.
Original post by Tiger Rag
I hope you're ok.

Thanks. Not doing too good tbh but not gonna say much on here, lest it triggers anyone :redface: Gonna try and seek help tomorrow morning :redface:
Original post by bullettheory
I can confirm that the Kingston fast pass is definitely (not) like Disney!

Posted from TSR Mobile

was it useful?
was it useful?

Personally, I didn't use it as my course is quite small and I was happy with the people I had met and wasn't too anxious. However, I know someone who did use it and they said it was really useful if there is a long wait - saves a lot of anxiety.
Personally, I didn't use it as my course is quite small and I was happy with the people I had met and wasn't too anxious. However, I know someone who did use it and they said it was really useful if there is a long wait - saves a lot of anxiety.

Oh so is enrolment separated by course? Will it be just mine (or just a few?) courses enrolling on that day and time? At UCL they literally packed all freshers into one building on the same day.
Oh so is enrolment separated by course? Will it be just mine (or just a few?) courses enrolling on that day and time? At UCL they literally packed all freshers into one building on the same day.

When I did mine it was just social work enrolling for a 2 hour period. I don't know what it is like at other campuses (I'm at Kingston Hill which is quite small, compared to Penryhn Road which is the largest) - however I know for other courses it is a bit more like that of UCL and others where they put in a lot of people together. Not sure how they do it for all courses, but Kingston are good for MH, never had a problem with the disability team.
When I did mine it was just social work enrolling for a 2 hour period. I don't know what it is like at other campuses (I'm at Kingston Hill which is quite small, compared to Penryhn Road which is the largest) - however I know for other courses it is a bit more like that of UCL and others where they put in a lot of people together. Not sure how they do it for all courses, but Kingston are good for MH, never had a problem with the disability team.

Thanks bullettheory! Will be signing up with the disability team at some point too.

Latest