The Student Room Group

Trying to get A*A*A*A*A* at A-level

Scroll to see replies

omg i am studying computer science with ocr as well. can you please suggest me a couple of , maybe more, revision resources to help me?
it confuses me so much and i couldnt find any online. i would be soooo happy if you could :smile: :smile:
Reply 21
Don't let anyone tell you this isn't realistic. This is very much possible given the right amount of effort. I take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science and may pick up Further Additional Maths. The A* in Maths and Further Maths you shouldn't find very difficult to attain. Me personally, I'm a lot more afraid of Computer Science than Further Maths...
Reply 22
Original post by Chittesh14
Good luck, try to aim for realistic goals though. If you will miss out on an A* in Maths, Further Maths might just kill you :frown:. Take full advantage of your applied modules lol... Nevertheless, I hope you succeed!

Appreciated! Aye, I do agree these aren't exactly the most realistic goals but aiming high so if I fall it won't be too bad a fall... I want at least 2 A*s this year! :smile: Also I got 100% in my C1,C2,C3 but i had a bad exam in my core 4 and dropped under the a boundary missing the A* :/ I plan to retake just that one module! :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Naruke
Don't let anyone tell you this isn't realistic. This is very much possible given the right amount of effort. I take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science and may pick up Further Additional Maths. The A* in Maths and Further Maths you shouldn't find very difficult to attain. Me personally, I'm a lot more afraid of Computer Science than Further Maths...

Thank you! I'll try my best! I'm also considering the additional further maths but only to AS level, it depends on how hard I work after November to get my S2 and M2 completed and then I'll start on teaching myself M3, M4 and S3, which modules do you plan to take?
I'm in exactly the same position, I am terrified of the current content of Computer Science, I barely got into the A* boundary set by my college :/
Reply 24
Original post by nisha.sri
Good luck !! I wish you all the best :smile: How much do you revise per day at AS + alevel ?

Thank you! It's only been the first week at college but I already feel like I was working harder last year lol! I revised I think roughly at least 3-4 hours per day... this is including the frees I had at college. Use your time wisely and revise well! This year I'm upping the number of hours I revise for, but also trying to prioritise between my subjects which is quite difficult.
Original post by Someboady
Thank you! It's only been the first week at college but I already feel like I was working harder last year lol! I revised I think roughly at least 3-4 hours per day... this is including the frees I had at college. Use your time wisely and revise well! This year I'm upping the number of hours I revise for, but also trying to prioritise between my subjects which is quite difficult.

No worries :smile: Ok thanks x
DAY 1
Hi,
So It's been the first day of the second full week of college. I have spoken to all my teachers respectively and they've all predicted me A*s, so I actually do have a 5A* prediction for my A-levels+EPQ which I think is amazing and I'm honestly so lucky! All the hardwork from my AS year did pay off it seems, maybe not albeit fully but partially! I have some strong references from my teachers, however I missed my meeting today with my tutor (she didn't show up) so I'm going to arrange for that meeting tomorrow instead. So that's all in terms of predicted grades
Further Mathematics
So tomorrow we complete FP1's first chapter on Complex number and we also finish its second chapter on numerical methods. I have already completed Complex numbers but I will be revising those as they will be the topic of my first test of FP1 (and i need it for the references). M1 we have completed two chapters and are half way through the third, I expect we'll finish the third this week. S2, my teacher is somewhat lost himself.... he also teaches half my Further modules so I've planned to self teach all of those modules. I'm going to have self-teach all of S2 since he covers all of statistics - I plan on doing this by December.
Physics
In Physics we've completed the first little section of periodic motion ( on circular motion) and we did some questions. We are lagging behind the rest of the year because I got put in a class which are quite slow (which can be both an advantage or disadvantage to me). However I am making notes on Circular motion and hoping to learn Simple Harmonic Motion. I will not be self-teaching much of Physics as I will be going along with whatever it is the class does.
Computer Science
How I regret the day I picked this subject at A-level (because i have no teacher)... But we're working on the coursework and I was told my project has the potential for an A* as long as I do it well. I'm coding it in Java and I have begun... Java is not my strong language but I want to make sure nobody copies me at college, the last thing I want is to be done for plagirism. This fear is pragmatic because it happened in my GCSE year and I was lucky to have done my coursework in different languages whereas everyone else copied each other and yeah... bad things happened.
EPQ
I suggested my title to my teacher and she said it was all fine except one word which makes the whole topic too broad. Personally I don't agree having written an assignment similar to this but I will try to develop the title further!
UCAS/ University Stuff
The MAT is coming up fast. I need to check that I've been registered for the MAT as I havent been told anything about it yet. I haven't started revising for it unfortunately so I'm going to start today. I think this has pushed its way to the top of my priority list! I am submitting my UCAS form tomorrow I hope after my meeting with my tutor. I will be applying to:
Oxford, Imperial, Bristol, Warwick and Sheffield(Durham is too far according to my parents).

Thank you for all the support on this thread so far guys its phenomenal! :smile:

Well done and good luck fam! Just letting you know you're not the only weirdo struggling through this, I'm going for 5A*s too! It'll be comforting when all the hard work pays off - I'm applying to Oxford too, so hopefully see you there!! :smile: JK I probably won't get in but you defo will!!!
Reply 27
Original post by mahmzo
What is your revision technique for Physics and Computer Science? Do you write notes (If so how do you write them effectively). Or do you use cgp guides etc

Great question! I made sure I understood everything in class for Physics and I made notes on every single topic and I stored them so that I could use them this year. These notes MUST be well-written and they will help you when you grind past papers towards exam season. I did use the CGP guide plus other revision resources and books, as many as I deemed fit at the time (i.e. if i didn't fully understand something I'd find another book). Effective note writing was basically making class notes and then making neat notes once we completed a topic. Note-making is a personal thing, so be sure to personalise it!
Computer Science was more difficult as some required practice and some required notes etc, but again, the same applies and Practice is key!
Reply 28
Thank you! I'll try my best! I'm also considering the additional further maths but only to AS level, it depends on how hard I work after November to get my S2 and M2 completed and then I'll start on teaching myself M3, M4 and S3, which modules do you plan to take?
I'm in exactly the same position, I am terrified of the current content of Computer Science, I barely got into the A* boundary set by my college :/

In terms of my maths modules, I'm aiming to complete FP2 & FP3 by the end of October (completed c3 + c4 already). I also have to complete M1 and M2 for maths and further maths respectively. If by the end of November I've covered all my modules, I'll take on additional further maths AS+A2. Which would mean I would have taken all 18 modules.

The reason why the content for Computer Science also scares me is because they don't really go in depth for anything. They just give you a whole bunch of topics they want you to learn for the exam and expect you to remember all of them.
Reply 29
Original post by Bukalemun123
omg i am studying computer science with ocr as well. can you please suggest me a couple of , maybe more, revision resources to help me?
it confuses me so much and i couldnt find any online. i would be soooo happy if you could :smile: :smile:

Hi,Happy to help :smile: I got a strong A last year. My tips are to buy/borrow the revision guides (even though they have quite a few errors). Do not. by any means. rely on a teacher. :smile: Sure learn coding, by all means! Make sure you can implement all algorithms/theory-based work into your programming language but also remember its a theory based course, you will not be asked to program! Keep on top of the work and work consistently!Revision resources... there isn't a lot.. the revision guides are available, do some scouring through the internet to see if theres anything on your new specification. What I did was I looked at the AQA spec resources and used those but for the OCR spec if that makes sense? Its more effort but it paid off for me :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Naruke
In terms of my maths modules, I'm aiming to complete FP2 & FP3 by the end of October (completed c3 + c4 already). I also have to complete M1 and M2 for maths and further maths respectively. If by the end of November I've covered all my modules, I'll take on additional further maths AS+A2. Which would mean I would have taken all 18 modules.

The reason why the content for Computer Science also scares me is because they don't really go in depth for anything. They just give you a whole bunch of topics they want you to learn for the exam and expect you to remember all of them.

That is VERY impressive! I know one of my friends did the exact same thing last year and he did brilliantly and is now studying at Cambridge!
I think the A2 Additional might prove a bit much for me on top of my other 4 subjects + EPQ but I definitely think you should smash it!
I completely agree, are you doing the OCR exam board for Computer Science?
Reply 31
You're asking me for advice, but Im really interested how you are managing all this work, like how much extra work do you do outside of school?
Hi,

I'm creating this thread as a way to track my progress throughout the year and motivate myself to study. In my AS year I took AS-Maths, A-level Maths, AS Physics and AS Computer Science. I got 4A's. It might sound great but I missed the A* in Maths by 2 marks in my Core 4 paper. I got 100% in Core 1, Core 2 and Core 3 but my Core 4 dropped to just under 80%. This annoyed me a lot because I know I was ready for Core 4 and I know that I should've done miles better. It annoyed me because now I have to retake that module this year despite knowing it last year...it was just a bad day for me I reckon. My predicted grades are currently 3A*s (Maths, Physics, Computer Science) however my Further Maths looks to be an A, however I will try to get this bumped to an A* (I mean, I did really well in terms of UMS discounting Core 4). I am also taking the EPQ this year on Computer Science and I hope to be predicted an A*.

So my teachers believe me to be capable of achieving A*'s due to high A-grades last year however I must admit I think I won't manage it. I just feel like the margins for error are too high and I'll slip up like I did in my AS-year. I intend to try my hardest though and I hope this thread motivates others too.
I am applying to study Computer Science at Oxford, Imperial, Bristol, Warwick and Durham/Sheffield. My internal deadline for UCAS is next week. I also have to take the MAT in around a months time. Thus a lot of preparation is required. The work load is huge at the moment but I'm just about managing.

I will be working my socks off this year and I will begin my first post on Monday which will be my second full week at college. My first week was just appalling.
For Further Maths I will be studying the Edexcel syllabus (FP1,FP2,FP3,M2,S2,D1) and I hope to have FP1,M2,S2 finished by December.
For Physics I'm studying the AQA Syllabus and doing AstroPhysics for my option despite having chosen Turning points... my college sucks so bad.
For Computer Science I am doing the OCR exam board and I will be working on my coursework for the most part, I'm aiming to have that complete by December also. This will give me time to prepare for the exam.
Core 4, I will prepare for starting from January. There is no way I miss the A* in Maths next year. It scares me to think I might miss it again if I flop this exam.
My EPQ will be alongside my studies, I will sacrifice whatever time I have to it.
I am also a disadvantaged student in the sense that I attend a college that is underperforming and I am part of various schemes that allow me to apply to University. People from my area don't usually go to University and I will be the first in my family to attend University hopefully. Also I always thought Oxford/Cambridge were only for rich kids who could afford it lol..Glad they put that misconception away.
I am more than willing to pull my weight this year to achieve these grades. Oxford and Imperial are just hopes, I at least want to get offers from Bristol and Warwick and Sheffield/Durham.
If you have any advice about anything whether it be Universities, or how to succeed or A-levels I would be more than happy to receive it!
With that being said, I think this will be the opener to my thread.

Thanks for reading,
Someboady
Reply 32
That is VERY impressive! I know one of my friends did the exact same thing last year and he did brilliantly and is now studying at Cambridge!
I think the A2 Additional might prove a bit much for me on top of my other 4 subjects + EPQ but I definitely think you should smash it!
I completely agree, are you doing the OCR exam board for Computer Science?

He pulled it off? Was it a long year for him? :tongue:

Nope, I'm doing AQA. Most people who sat the AS exams last June* got U grades and now there is only 3 people taking the course including me :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Appreciated! Aye, I do agree these aren't exactly the most realistic goals but aiming high so if I fall it won't be too bad a fall... I want at least 2 A*s this year! :smile: Also I got 100% in my C1,C2,C3 but i had a bad exam in my core 4 and dropped under the a boundary missing the A* :/ I plan to retake just that one module! :smile:

Lol, no problem. Just think of it like this, don't give 1 sh*t about what I say. If you can do it, no one can stop you. Just work hard and who knows, you might stun me? :smile:
Retake C4... no reason why you should miss an A* like that lol considering 300 UMS across the other 3 core modules lol
Reply 34
Original post by Naruke
He pulled it off? Was it a long year for him? :tongue:

Nope, I'm doing AQA. Most people who sat the AS exams last June* got U grades and now there is only 3 people taking the course including me :colondollar:

He was one of those... people... with the amazing Maths abilities. You know what I mean right? The ones on like a completely different level and they just do things by themselves, never show up to lessons but somehow manage to ace all their exams...

Ah, congratulations dude! fair enough tbh, Computer Science is a very difficult subject! We've got a lot of people doing Computer Science simply because they all failed but they can't drop anything so the college had to keep them on for the 2 year course.
But definitely good luck dude, honestly you'll smash it! Best of luck!
Reply 35
Original post by patrick_horro
You're asking me for advice, but Im really interested how you are managing all this work, like how much extra work do you do outside of school?

Currently I don't do a lot of work outside of school. I'm focussing on my entrance exam now up until November and just about keeping up with my subjects :smile: But following that I'll be getting ahead and really grinding for those grades!
Youre a machine mate
Reply 37
gl fam
Reply 38
Day 2
Further Maths
We work very quickly with one teacher and very slowly with the other. It's very frustrating really. But I'm self teaching all the modules that my slow teacher teaches, because he's awful. Though I probably already mentioned that. Either way, today we completed Complex numbers and we'll begin Co-ordinate systems next week. I spoke to my teachers once more and have confirmed a 5A* predicted for all my subjects which again, I am well happy about. Unfortunately however my teacher who teaches very slowly does our statistics 2 module.. I need statistics 2 to be completed as soon as possible so that I can self-teach S3 for my Additional Further Maths AS. Maybe I'm overdoing it... Maybe. But If we do finish on time I wouldn't mind self-teaching S3. But right now I'm bogged down my MAT prep. My college offers no support for this and the support classes are not for MAT questions because apparently the teachers arent "qualified" to help with MAT. And plus my timetable currently is packed to the brim and some of my lessons aren't timetabled and I have to go to them at Lunch times... So i can't really have much of a lunch either but sacrifices must be made.
Physics
Not much interesting today... actually we did Simple Harmonic Motion and my teacher who is actually decent showed us the graphical proof and mathematical proof of the equations. I absolutely LOVED the mathematical proof because it integrates C3 into it. So we did that, even though its not part of the syllabus.
Computer Science
I feel held back by my Computer Science lessons as we don't do much in them... its just headphones in, listen to music whilst you prepare for your programming project. I can't exactly do my programming project because its on my home laptop which I'm not allowed to take to college. But I'm working on finding a way of transferring it over. I've completed the login page for my program and I need to submit that tonight. So I'll do that after this post. Today I spent the lesson looking at Mathematical proofs.
EPQ
This is slow but we've been given resources. My EPQ supervisor wants me to narrow down my title but I'm not sure this is entirely possible. But I'll give it a shot.
MAT
Today I worked on some questions. I haven't finished them and I want to attempt them myself and learn the various proofs behind some of the shortcuts that can be taken. I kind of tried figuring out each one and understood some of them. In future posts I will talk about the proofs behind these questions and why they were so enthralling. The focus for me today was on Algebra. I'm upping my MAT prep hours.
UCAS
My UCAS form is almost ready for submission, I have to discuss it with my school tutor and then hit the submit button and that... I also registered for the MAT and should hopefully get a confirmation soon. The internal deadline is upon us and I have to submit that UCAS form!

I think I'll cut down the amount I post on these threads in terms of days because as you can see, a lot doesnt happen in a day... So maybe every other day or so :smile:
Thanks for reading!
Reply 39
Day 2
Further Maths
We work very quickly with one teacher and very slowly with the other. It's very frustrating really. But I'm self teaching all the modules that my slow teacher teaches, because he's awful. Though I probably already mentioned that. Either way, today we completed Complex numbers and we'll begin Co-ordinate systems next week. I spoke to my teachers once more and have confirmed a 5A* predicted for all my subjects which again, I am well happy about. Unfortunately however my teacher who teaches very slowly does our statistics 2 module.. I need statistics 2 to be completed as soon as possible so that I can self-teach S3 for my Additional Further Maths AS. Maybe I'm overdoing it... Maybe. But If we do finish on time I wouldn't mind self-teaching S3. But right now I'm bogged down my MAT prep. My college offers no support for this and the support classes are not for MAT questions because apparently the teachers arent "qualified" to help with MAT. And plus my timetable currently is packed to the brim and some of my lessons aren't timetabled and I have to go to them at Lunch times... So i can't really have much of a lunch either but sacrifices must be made.
Physics
Not much interesting today... actually we did Simple Harmonic Motion and my teacher who is actually decent showed us the graphical proof and mathematical proof of the equations. I absolutely LOVED the mathematical proof because it integrates C3 into it. So we did that, even though its not part of the syllabus.
Computer Science
I feel held back by my Computer Science lessons as we don't do much in them... its just headphones in, listen to music whilst you prepare for your programming project. I can't exactly do my programming project because its on my home laptop which I'm not allowed to take to college. But I'm working on finding a way of trd toansferring it over. I've completed the login page for my program and I nee submit that tonight. So I'll do that after this post. Today I spent the lesson looking at Mathematical proofs.
EPQ
This is slow but we've been given resources. My EPQ supervisor wants me to narrow down my title but I'm not sure this is entirely possible. But I'll give it a shot.
MAT
Today I worked on some questions. I haven't finished them and I want to attempt them myself and learn the various proofs behind some of the shortcuts that can be taken. I kind of tried figuring out each one and understood some of them. In future posts I will talk about the proofs behind these questions and why they were so enthralling. The focus for me today was on Algebra. I'm upping my MAT prep hours.
UCAS
My UCAS form is almost ready for submission, I have to discuss it with my school tutor and then hit the submit button and that... I also registered for the MAT and should hopefully get a confirmation soon. The internal deadline is upon us and I have to submit that UCAS form!

I think I'll cut down the amount I post on these threads in terms of days because as you can see, a lot doesnt happen in a day... So maybe every other day or so :smile:
Thanks for reading!

Can't you just take your CS projet in a pen drive or upload it to google drive? Also, whats your project? sound interesting :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending