The Student Room Group

Applying to another university after doing a foundation year.

Im planning on sitting a a condensed foundation course that starts in January, but would be looking to move universities after that course.

What I want to know is how would this foundation course affect me getting into another university next year? How would predicted grades for the foundation year work? And generally just how foundation years work in terms of moving university after?

Any advice on this would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ludd-sama
Im planning on sitting a a condensed foundation course that starts in January, but would be looking to move universities after that course.

What I want to know is how would this foundation course affect me getting into another university next year? How would predicted grades for the foundation year work? And generally just how foundation years work in terms of moving university after?

Thanks in advance!

Not all unis will accept foundation courses from other unis. Each uni will tailor their foundation year to what their course needs, so courses provided by other unis might not focus on the correct topics. You will need to check with whichever uni you're looking at applying to.

The foundation course tutors will be responsible for predicting your grades. They should have some experience and thus know how to do this.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
Not all unis will accept foundation courses from other unis. Each uni will tailor their foundation year to what their course needs, so courses provided by other unis might not focus on the correct topics. You will need to check with whichever uni you're looking at applying to.

The foundation course tutors will be responsible for predicting your grades. They should have some experience and thus know how to do this.

Hey was just wandering if you know how common it is for a student to move uni after the first year and start over due to disliking the course/uni. Also how would you go about this in terms of applying to another's uni? Would you have to go through the whole ucas again and go back to my sixth form to apply? Or is there an easier way

Thanks,
Alex
Reply 3
Original post by alexp98
Hey was just wandering if you know how common it is for a student to move uni after the first year and start over due to disliking the course/uni. Also how would you go about this in terms of applying to another's uni? Would you have to go through the whole ucas again and go back to my sixth form to apply? Or is there an easier way

Thanks,
Alex

Have a look at the FAQ
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
University Transfer FAQ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by alexp98

Thanks,
Alex

If you're restarting at a new uni then that isn't transferring, so the post above will be little help to you.

It's not incredibly common, but it's not incredibly rare. It's just something that people do sometimes.

You will need to complete another ucas application. You'll need a reference, which most likely will come from your sixth form. If so, you'll complete the form in exactly the same way as last year - but this time including your A Level grades as they're completed, and including your first year of uni.

Thanks in advance!

Hey there!

I think it depends what course you're planning to go to. What course would you like to do?

If you ever want to consider design and digital media base course then check us out! Ravensbourne :biggrin: Check our Courses that you might be interested in!

We do Foundation course, BA (Hons) courses, PG courses and many more!

Good luck!
Ahlia :biggrin:

Thanks in advance!

I transferred after foundation year, here's what I did:
Email all the universities you'd like to apply to and ask if they would accept your foundation course for entry to the first year of their course.
They will email you back saying either yes they will accept the foundation year with x grades or no they don't accept it or they'll ask for more information about your course, A Level and GCSE grades.
Then apply through UCAS, don't worry about predicted grades although your reference might put something idk. I didn't know my predicted grades when I applied during foundation year and it was all okay.

If you need any more help just ask :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Eternalflames
I transferred after foundation year, here's what I did:
Email all the universities you'd like to apply to and ask if they would accept your foundation course for entry to the first year of their course.
They will email you back saying either yes they will accept the foundation year with x grades or no they don't accept it or they'll ask for more information about your course, A Level and GCSE grades.
Then apply through UCAS, don't worry about predicted grades although your reference might put something idk. I didn't know my predicted grades when I applied during foundation year and it was all okay.

If you need any more help just ask :smile:

Hi I am applying to a different university after doing a foundation year and I already had an email that yes they would accept me as long as I got acceptable grades. I was wondering how you entered the University you were at for the foundation year in to Ucas and as with a foundation year you don't receive formal qualifications do you answer that you will receive no qualifications from this university? Does the university contact you when results come in to check what grades you got?

would very much appreciate any reply, thanks :smile:
Original post by Bunifer
Hi I am applying to a different university after doing a foundation year and I already had an email that yes they would accept me as long as I got acceptable grades. I was wondering how you entered the University you were at for the foundation year in to Ucas and as with a foundation year you don't receive formal qualifications do you answer that you will receive no qualifications from this university? Does the university contact you when results come in to check what grades you got?

would very much appreciate any reply, thanks :smile:

Hi
In the qualifications section I put Foundation year as the qualification and for institution/school I put the university I did the foundation year at. The foundation year does count as a qualification, so don't put received no qualifications.
No, as soon as your results come through you need to email the admissions people of your firm choice and show them your exam transcript.
Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 9
I did manage to find the foundation year qualification in the end but that's loads of help thanks! :smile:
Reply 10
Hi
In the qualifications section I put Foundation year as the qualification and for institution/school I put the university I did the foundation year at. The foundation year does count as a qualification, so don't put received no qualifications.
No, as soon as your results come through you need to email the admissions people of your firm choice and show them your exam transcript.
Hope that helps :smile:

When you applied, how much focus did they put on your A-Level grades? What were the general conditions of them accepting you?
When you applied, how much focus did they put on your A-Level grades? What were the general conditions of them accepting you?

My A-Level grades didn't matter to the ones I applied to because they see the foundation year as the most recent qualification. Those that required higher A-Level grades stated so in the emails before I applied.
Reply 12
My A-Level grades didn't matter to the ones I applied to because they see the foundation year as the most recent qualification. Those that required higher A-Level grades stated so in the emails before I applied.

Where did you apply to for which A-levels mattered, and which universities didnt it matter to?
I would check to see if the uni that you want to move to have a foundation year course as that would mean next here you don't have to learn a new town you already have some mates and stuff also you ate in the place that you want you want to be first off. If not you coul always do somthing else like oh I dunno retake you a leval or do an online course on the subject that you want to study (look at Cousera) you don't get any cat points but you can say look I passed a course from Michigan or wherever online over the last 5 months putbthatvib your personal statement it ahowsxthat you have a background in the subject so there are some ideas for you.
Normally Foundation Degree's are two years (as was mine), and i have offers from Universities to do my final top up year with them for 2017 entry.
Reply 15
Original post by stoltguyboo
Normally Foundation Degree's are two years (as was mine), and i have offers from Universities to do my final top up year with them for 2017 entry.

Foundation years are different to foundation degrees. I believe this thread is referring to foundation years, or I hope it is as that's what I was looking for.
Reply 16
Original post by Bunifer
Foundation years are different to foundation degrees. I believe this thread is referring to foundation years, or I hope it is as that's what I was looking for.

Yeah, I and I believe most people were referring to foundation years.
Where did you apply to for which A-levels mattered, and which universities didnt it matter to?

The only one that cared about A-Levels which I applied to was Edinburgh, they rejected me and I got offers from Leeds, Bath, Glasgow and Strathclyde, they didn't care about my A-Level grades.
Reply 18
The only one that cared about A-Levels which I applied to was Edinburgh, they rejected me and I got offers from Leeds, Bath, Glasgow and Strathclyde, they didn't care about my A-Level grades.

Sorry, one more question, where did you do your foundation if you don't mind me asking?
I've been accepted into a uni to do a foundation course but the uni that accepted me was my insurance choice which I didn't really want to go to and my firm have rejected me. So I was wondering because I didn't get the grades for my firm, will that matter when I apply for first year? Or would they pay more importance to what I got for my foundation year instead?

So if I do my foundation year at my insurance and transfer to my firm to do my first year? And was wondering how this all works because I am clueless right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending