The Student Room Group

Help Please Newbe

Hello guys,
Can anyone help me please . I am returning to study as a more mature student in my twenties as i wish to resit my GCSE in English Language, Maths, Science & History. I am looking to attend my local college to study the above courses but unfortunately History is not an option as they do not offer this as a subject. I am hoping to go onto Uni to sit my A levels so really need the above qualifications. I have looked into doing an online History course but the top Universities do not seem to rate these qualifications or except them (please tell me if I have been mislead, or your experiences)
Can anyone offer me any advice as to how/where i can study History and sit the relevant exams any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by sunnydee69
Hello guys,
Can anyone help me please . I am returning to study as a more mature student in my twenties as i wish to resit my GCSE in English Language, Maths, Science & History. I am looking to attend my local college to study the above courses but unfortunately History is not an option as they do not offer this as a subject. I am hoping to go onto Uni to sit my A levels so really need the above qualifications. I have looked into doing an online History course but the top Universities do not seem to rate these qualifications or except them (please tell me if I have been mislead, or your experiences)
Can anyone offer me any advice as to how/where i can study History and sit the relevant exams any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You can look into taking the GCSE as a private candidate. You would need to find an exam centre, and would then study all the material yourself.

Alternatively, you may find that you could do an Access course which may not require the GCSE.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
You can look into taking the GCSE as a private candidate. You would need to find an exam centre, and would then study all the material yourself.

Alternatively, you may find that you could do an Access course which may not require the GCSE.

thank you where would I get the course material from ?
Reply 3
thank you where would I get the course material from ?

You can view the course specification on the exam board website. It's up to you to then buy a textbook or find websites that will teach you this material.
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
You can view the course specification on the exam board website. It's up to you to then buy a textbook or find websites that will teach you this material.

I think the exam board is Edexcel - would you be able to help me with website . Sorry for so many questions but I would not know where to start looking. Thank you for all of your help.
Reply 5
I think the exam board is Edexcel - would you be able to help me with website . Sorry for so many questions but I would not know where to start looking. Thank you for all of your help.

If you google "Edexcel GCSE history specification" then you get the website that shows the specification for Edexcel's GCSE history. You'll need to be able to do things like this for yourself if you want to do well - you can't rely on other people using google for you. If you don't want to use google then you can use bing, or ask jeeves. But if you can't do that then you're going to struggle to find course material.

Quick Reply

Latest