The Student Room Group

High targets!

so.....

I'm just about to get started on GCSE revision (as we have been told to by school) but I'm not really sure where to start because all of my targets are A*s. I know they're only targets and that I don't have to get whatever I'm predicted, but I would just feel disappointed with myself and feel like I'm disappointing others if I don't get them. It's not that I don't feel capable, because I know I am, I got high enough grades in my mocks to prove it. It's just I'm not sure how to organize my revision time so that I get enough done to get these high grades.

Approximately how long should I spend revising for each exam? (I have 19-20 in total I think, 6 science, 4 English, 3 maths, 2 German, 1 PE, 1 RE/RS and 2 or 3 geography exams)

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

How can you start GCSE revision when you haven't even covered half the content yet?

Instead of focusing on revision, just work hard in your lessons, do all your homework and make sure you understand everything. Then when it comes to Feb/March start revising for couple of hours a day, then during Easter bump this up to 4-6 hours a day.

You really don't need to do that much work at GCSE to do well, just enjoy the year
Reply 2
Original post by HopelessMedic
How can you start GCSE revision when you haven't even covered half the content yet?

Instead of focusing on revision, just work hard in your lessons, do all your homework and make sure you understand everything. Then when it comes to Feb/March start revising for couple of hours a day, then during Easter bump this up to 4-6 hours a day.

You really don't need to do that much work at GCSE to do well, just enjoy the year

That's an awful attitude to have, you can learn the content yourself quite easily from exam board specifications and past papers. Considering it's less than 4 months until the exams I think now is a good time to start. Or if he's doing Maths in Nov definitely should've started by now.
I am expected all As and A*s too but don't worry! If the teachers have faith in you you will make it. You just need the confidence that you will do well and succeed. That's what I tell myself. To be honest it is best if you start revising now for the mocks in December. By starting this early you'll only need to do about 30 mins - 1 hour a day. What GCSEs do you do btw ?
Original post by Abusive
That's an awful attitude to have, you can learn the content yourself quite easily from exam board specifications and past papers. Considering it's less than 4 months until the exams I think now is a good time to start. Or if he's doing Maths in Nov definitely should've started by now.

4 months till exams? I assumed they were taking exams in June/July like everyone else does but maybe I'm wrong.

Do you really think GCSE maths needs 2 months of revision to get a C?

You don't need to rush and learn the content 3 weeks into school, there's no point.
Part of doing well isn't just the revision, it's the learning beforehand. The better you do this, the easier and less stressful revision will be. A solid way to ensure this is to use a system of review - review all learning at the end of the day and, crucially, MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND. If not, see your teacher at the earliest convenience. Just keep on top of it.

On another note, make sure you get enough sleep, food, and water. It may be a lack of this that is making you tired. Your learning will be so much more efficient.

Take your mocks seriously. Revise like the real thing. This should prepare you well.

Maths/sciences --> PAST PAPERS. Just do all of them

Essay subjects --> just write a s*** ton of essays and get them marked

Coursework is very important - my French A* was secured primarily because I got 100% in the coursework... same for music. Probs same for art DT and everything else to but I didn't take them soooo.

Languages - learn vocabulary list BACK TO FRONT. This helped me get 100% in Latin 😁😁😁

Oh and if it's getting a bit much, take a chill pill and relax. GCSEs are not supposed to be easy 😉😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a sustained effort - like a marathon, don't rely much on cramming

Posted from TSR Mobile

^ Truth. Don't start revising properly now. You'll only stress yourself out/burn out and then not want to revise when it actually matters. There's absolutely no need to start revising in September, GCSEs require work but they don't require that much work.
Reply 8
4 months till exams? I assumed they were taking exams in June/July like everyone else does but maybe I'm wrong.

Do you really think GCSE maths needs 2 months of revision to get a C?

You don't need to rush and learn the content 3 weeks into school, there's no point.

He said in his post that his targets were all A*'s so if his teachers think he can do it, he should. Also you barely have to do any revision to get a C, if any revision at all.
Original post by Abusive
He said in his post that his targets were all A*'s so if his teachers think he can do it, he should. Also you barely have to do any revision to get a C, if any revision at all.

So why did you say he needs to start revising for maths in November now?

And like I said before, many people get straight A*s at GCSE without revising months in advance. Its more about understanding everything and then revising properly around exam time.
Reply 10

We actually started GCSE content in year 9 for most subjects, so we're pretty much at the end. I don't do too well learning on my own anyway, so I just meant going over the stuff I had already learnt in school. But thanks, I'll keep a mental note of that.
Reply 11

And like I said before, many people get straight A*s at GCSE without revising months in advance. Its more about understanding everything and then revising properly around exam time.

Because if he's sitting them in November (1st one is on the 2nd on the exam board I sat) then it's less than 45 days until them, not bad practice to start revising early.
Original post by Abusive
Because if he's sitting them in November (1st one is on the 2nd on the exam board I sat) then it's less than 45 days until them, not bad practice to start revising early.

I agree with you on the November exams, starting now is perfectly reasonable.

I thought the OP was talking about starting revision for the June exams now, which imo is counter productive.
Original post by Abbie131
We actually started GCSE content in year 9 for most subjects, so we're pretty much at the end. I don't do too well learning on my own anyway, so I just meant going over the stuff I had already learnt in school. But thanks, I'll keep a mental note of that.

Going over your notes on the weekend or revision for end of unit tests is perfectly reasonable and a good habit to get into for A-levels.

However in my opinion starting revision for your summer exams now would cause you to burn out by exams, which is the period where you should be peaking in terms of work. Best of luck for the year:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Snowystar
I am expected all As and A*s too but don't worry! If the teachers have faith in you you will make it. You just need the confidence that you will do well and succeed. That's what I tell myself. To be honest it is best if you start revising now for the mocks in December. By starting this early you'll only need to do about 30 mins - 1 hour a day. What GCSEs do you do btw ?

Ahhh thanks. I think half an hour is a good place to start now with the odd maths past paper every now and then. As for subjects, well, I'm taking double science, english & maths (the new spec makes me want to cry rivers though), short course RE, long course PE, health and social care, music and geography...I think that's all. I'm not too sure if I should do further maths too, quite nerve wracking to think about considering it's my weakest subject, but my teacher wants me to so we'll see. It's just a shame that I have the ambition and not the confidence...
Reply 15
I agree with you on the November exams, starting now is perfectly reasonable.

I thought the OP was talking about starting revision for the June exams now, which imo is counter productive.

Yes, that was what I meant. Thank you though, I think that it is a bit early too, but it's what my school said to do. I guess starting early on the stuff we did ages ago back in year 9 isn't too unreasonable though, especially if I just go back over my flashcards I made for my year 10 mocks in april at the weekends. I suppose I'll just start from there until november when it's time for december mocks. Thanks everyone
Ahhh thanks. I think half an hour is a good place to start now with the odd maths past paper every now and then. As for subjects, well, I'm taking double science, english & maths (the new spec makes me want to cry rivers though), short course RE, long course PE, health and social care, music and geography...I think that's all. I'm not too sure if I should do further maths too, quite nerve wracking to think about considering it's my weakest subject, but my teacher wants me to so we'll see. It's just a shame that I have the ambition and not the confidence...

Hi Im also doing the new spec for maths and English. What revision resources are you using for them?
Yes, that was what I meant. Thank you though, I think that it is a bit early too, but it's what my school said to do. I guess starting early on the stuff we did ages ago back in year 9 isn't too unreasonable though, especially if I just go back over my flashcards I made for my year 10 mocks in april at the weekends. I suppose I'll just start from there until november when it's time for december mocks. Thanks everyone

Its up to you. All I'm saying is don't feel that you need to start revising now to get straight A*s, cause you don't.

Best of luck for they year:smile:
Reply 18
Original post by dannie.12
Hi Im also doing the new spec for maths and English. What revision resources are you using for them?

I'm not revising at the moment, not for english anyway. That being said, I have the CGP 9-1 maths revision and practice book for edexcel which is the board i am on. As for english, I do have another CGP revision guide for it, but it is both language and literature combined (and on the 9-1 spec). I haven't really used either yet though (and as of now they're all I have) so I can't really recommend sorry :K:

Wellllll..... I started revising in December for my mocks, and picked up again in about march/Feb, and I got 11A*s.... so you kinda do need to revise months in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest