The Student Room Group

(MEDICINE) which unis pay the most attention to GCSE grades?

Hi, just wondered if there are any unis that put a particular emphasis on GCSEs for medicine applicants as I did really well (12 A*) and so I guess these would be the best unis to apply for !!

Any help would be great because the uni websites don't really give a straight forward answer!

thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Tea2345
Hi, just wondered if there are any unis that put a particular emphasis on GCSEs for medicine applicants as I did really well (12 A*) and so I guess these would be the best unis to apply for !!

Any help would be great because the uni websites don't really give a straight forward answer!

thank you! :smile:

Oxford, Birmingham, Cardiff, Imperial and Edinburgh. Well done on your amazing grades!
I don't know personally, but they will pay attention to it regardless. If you do just as well in your a-levels, you're almost guaranteed a place at top universities, although a lot of the major ones would rather have you arrive with some experience so you should ask your sixth form/college. But yeah, in general, you'll be prioritized over students that did well at a level but only got Bs and Cs at GCSE level. Well done btw :smile:
Original post by medic99
Oxford, Birmingham, Cardiff, Imperial and Edinburgh. Well done on your amazing grades!

As far as I'm aware Imperial don't care much beyond the basic entry requirements and rank solely on BMAT score.

Queens also like high GCSE's
Relating to the question, I'm in Year 11 but I would really love to go to King's to study Medicine in the future. Even though, the course doesn't have a requirement for any GCSE Science, I got a C in my Core Science exam, would that prevent me from getting in????
Original post by HopelessMedic
As far as I'm aware Imperial don't care much beyond the basic entry requirements and rank solely on BMAT score.

Queens also like high GCSE's

Imperial have no gcse requirements
Reply 6
Thanks for the help everyone!
Original post by Abbie131
regardless. If you do just as well in your a-levels, you're almost guaranteed a place at top universities, although

Absolutely not true.

For instance, I got 12A* 1A and 5As at AS and was lucky to get the one offer I did as I was ignorant to the personal statement and work experience requirements.

Don't get complacent OP, but well done nevertheless. Do you own research, but the info above seems ok as far as I know.
Reply 8
Original post by nexttime
Absolutely not true.

For instance, I got 12A* 1A and 5As at AS and was lucky to get the one offer I did as I was ignorant to the personal statement and work experience requirements.

Don't get complacent OP, but well done nevertheless. Do you own research, but the info above seems ok as far as I know.

yeah I'm aware that grades aren't everything, but obviously you need good ones to stand any chance. Am in the process of organising volunteering at a day centre for dementia support and am contacting people about work experience. i also do lots of other activities - I'm in 5 orchestras (Grade 7 violin), doing gold dofe, and have a job! Hopefully I'll manage to get a place!
Original post by Inspiringvisons
Imperial have no gcse requirements

They have the basic requirements of a C in Maths, English and sciences surely? All medicine courses have these as far as I'm aware
Original post by Tea2345
. Am in the process of organising volunteering at a day centre for dementia support and am contacting people about work experience.

Good. Be persistent and don't just give up if they all say no like I did!

i also do lots of other activities - I'm in 5 orchestras (Grade 7 violin), doing gold dofe, and have a job!

All substantially less relevant than work experience and volunteering. That is what the PS needs to focus on.

Hopefully I'll manage to get a place!

Hopefully!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending