The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What part of Birmingham would you be stopping in? I would say check out the city centre if you only stopping for the weekend. There are plenty of shops/bars/clubs/places to eat.
Reply 2
Birmingham is pretty good but some areas are terrible like sparkhill and alum rock.
Original post by sdotd
Birmingham is pretty good but some areas are terrible like sparkhill and alum rock.

Was fully thinking that myself haha, just didn't want to be too upfront
Prepare for the accent.

"Sounds like a victim. Not incompetent...just...unfortunate." - David Mitchell

Alum Rock is beauts.
Brum is a dump. best thing in it is the roads out of there.

Lived there for ten years saw enough of it last a life time
Original post by howardwicks1
What part of Birmingham would you be stopping in? I would say check out the city centre if you only stopping for the weekend. There are plenty of shops/bars/clubs/places to eat.

They live in Solihull, wherever that is :tongue:

Is there anywhere particular noteworthy?
Original post by BioChemWizard
Prepare for the accent.

"Sounds like a victim. Not incompetent...just...unfortunate." - David Mitchell

Alum Rock is beauts.

The accent isn't that bad imho, I find the scouse one to be more annoying personally.

But thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Solihull is a great area
Basically, the south is good, the north is bad. Check out Broad Street, but regardless of area don't go out unaccompanied at night, there are way too many junkies.
[video="youtube;czLQoG01PFs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czLQoG01PFs[/video]
Take it from a native brummie: it's a shithole and the nicest parts are on the outskirts. Only good thing about it is the nightlife. Solihull is nice but the people there are stuck up knobs. I only have one more year living here and then off to uni, thank god!
Not quite how much there is to do in Solihull, its a nice enough area but I don't find myself there often!
In the city centre you have the Bullring shopping centre, the custard factory which has vintage shops and the like, the oasis market for the more unique items. Too many pubs and stuff to name in the city centre haha. Just go to broadstreet and you will find something that looks decent.
Original post by sdotd
Solihull is a great area

Thanks, that's great to know :smile:

What's so bad about Alum Rock?
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
Basically, the south is good, the north is bad. Check out Broad Street, but regardless of area don't go out unaccompanied at night, there are way too many junkies.

Thank you, will definitely keep in mind :smile:
Original post by bassbabe
Take it from a native brummie: it's a shithole and the nicest parts are on the outskirts. Only good thing about it is the nightlife. Solihull is nice but the people there are stuck up knobs. I only have one more year living here and then off to uni, thank god!

Cheers :smile: Where you going to uni?
Original post by howardwicks1
Not quite how much there is to do in Solihull, its a nice enough area but I don't find myself there often!
In the city centre you have the Bullring shopping centre, the custard factory which has vintage shops and the like, the oasis market for the more unique items. Too many pubs and stuff to name in the city centre haha. Just go to broadstreet and you will find something that looks decent.

Ooh thank you I will have to visit them :smile: The Oasis market sounds interesting :smile:
Also stay away from these areas:
Small Heath
Sparkbrook
Sparkhill
Bordesley Green
Hockley
Alum Rock
Washwood Heath
Saltley
Aston
Nechelles
Reply 18
I know a couple people who were beaten and mugged in alum rock
Reply 19
also while in brum, try and go to a mixed grill like soho tavern or merry maid. they are really good
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest