Protostar's Path to Perfection!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ?Hannah
my friend niamh is super duper clever! :smile: xo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww thank you!! :colondollar:

My friend Hannah is super duper clever, and funny, and beautiful! :h: xx
13/09/2016 - Evening update

Seeing as I'm not actually revising yet I can't really update properly every day, so instead I'll just tell you about what I've been learning and stuff :smile:

Maths: Work on indices, work on surds (mainly just recapping the hardest GCSE topics to get everyone up to scratch)

Further Maths: Basic algorithms, bubble sort algorithm, quick sort algorithm, binary search, bin packing. We've been working at a pretty fast pace through D1 in FM which is working out quite well for me so far :smile:

Physics: Progressive waves, stationary waves, mechanical waves, electromagnetic waves, frequency, wavelength, phase, phase difference, period, some wave calculations, actual charges of protons, neutrons and electrons, actual masses of protons, neutrons and electrons, specific charge, isotopes, nuclides, quarks (up and down only). It looks like a lot but most of this is definition based so it's not actually that much content.

I've been set a considerable amount of homework so far, but most of it ive been getting done in my study periods so my home workload at the moment is absolutely tiny!

I've got a maths test on Thursday but it's basically to see where our strengths and weaknesses are, as I'm pretty sure we haven't even begun the AS content yet :s-smilie: it should be fine though if it's GCSE stuff
Original post by NiamhM1801
13/09/2016 - Evening update

Seeing as I'm not actually revising yet I can't really update properly every day, so instead I'll just tell you about what I've been learning and stuff :smile:

Maths: Work on indices, work on surds (mainly just recapping the hardest GCSE topics to get everyone up to scratch)

Further Maths: Basic algorithms, bubble sort algorithm, quick sort algorithm, binary search, bin packing. We've been working at a pretty fast pace through D1 in FM which is working out quite well for me so far :smile:

Physics: Progressive waves, stationary waves, mechanical waves, electromagnetic waves, frequency, wavelength, phase, phase difference, period, some wave calculations, actual charges of protons, neutrons and electrons, actual masses of protons, neutrons and electrons, specific charge, isotopes, nuclides, quarks (up and down only). It looks like a lot but most of this is definition based so it's not actually that much content.

I've been set a considerable amount of homework so far, but most of it ive been getting done in my study periods so my home workload at the moment is absolutely tiny!

I've got a maths test on Thursday but it's basically to see where our strengths and weaknesses are, as I'm pretty sure we haven't even begun the AS content yet :s-smilie: it should be fine though if it's GCSE stuff

Looks like your doing well. Well done Niamh. Good luck on that maths test I'm sure you'll ace it 😄
17/09/2016 - Afternoon update

So again it's been a couple of days so I thought I'd do another little update :smile:
So far ive found everything manageable and the workload at the moment isn't too big! (This will probably change very soon though haha). Doing 3 subjects as opposed to 4 has definitely given me a lot more time, so I'm thankful I did! I haven't started making any proper notes yet, but I definitely will on Monday (my physics notes from lessons are disgusting so I need to make pretty ones! :tongue:) and I certainly haven't started revising yet (as it's wayyyy too early in my opinion) but I'm getting along pretty well so far :smile:

So far I've done:
Maths: More GCSE recapping :colonhash: stuff on algebraic fractions etc. The test on Thursday went very well, hoping I got 100% :tongue:. I also found out my GCSE marks from my teacher (as these aren't given on the slip) and I got 90/100 in paper 1 and 99/100 in paper 2 :biggrin:

Further Maths: More practice on the D1 things we've learnt so far, I'm getting a lot better at the exam questions on them now :smile: we had a mini assessment yesterday which went well, I was the only one in the class (there are only 4 of us though) to finish in the time which I was happy about! I got my mark back from the GCSE we did in FM as well: 59/70 in paper 1 and 85/105 in paper 2 - a lot better than I thought; only 4 marks off the A^!

Physics: We looked a little bit at Feynman diagrams for electron capture, β+ and β- decay and one other one (that I can't remember the name of) but we didn't do these in loads of depth. We learnt about different classifications of particles (hadrons - baryons: protons, neutrons, - mesons: pions, kaons; leptons: electrons, neutrinos, tau, muon; we very briefly looked at Gauge Bosons too but not loads). There were so many new terms it was a bit tricky to get to grips with at first but it was super interesting at the same time :biggrin:

So far my favourite subject is Further Maths, closely followed by Physics. This of course may change as time goes on!

There's a bit of a mixup going on between my sixth form and the sixth form where I go for further maths and physics, which has meant that I've been being taught D1 in both maths and further maths! I've been pestering my teachers about it for a week but nothing's been done yet...typical. Hopefully it'll change soon because being taught the bubble sort algorithm twice was not enjoyable!

I'll try and get back to updating daily soon, when I start making proper notes :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
19/09/2016 - Night update

Ok, so I didn't get on to making any notes today because I was busy helping my sister put an IKEA bed together - pathetic I know, but it took quite a long time! I'll definitely get stuff done tomorrow, I promise :wink:

Today I have done:
Further Maths: started work on graphs and networks. We basically started right from the beginning and learnt quite a few definitions to do with the topic, whereas tomorrow we're going to look at actual applications of these graphs.

Maths: learnt how to carry out a shuttle sort, and re-taught how to carry out a quick sort (due to the mixup I mentioned in my last update :s-smilie:)

Physics: learnt about baryon number, lepton number, electron number and muon number, how to decide whether a decay is feasible or not (or something along those lines) and then some practise exam questions on what we've learnt so far in that unit.

We got the FM mini assessment back today and I got an A which I was very pleased with! :biggrin: Like I said I'll definitely start with note making tomorrow, so my updates will hopefully become slightly more interesting!
19/09/2016 - Night update

Ok, so I didn't get on to making any notes today because I was busy helping my sister put an IKEA bed together - pathetic I know, but it took quite a long time! I'll definitely get stuff done tomorrow, I promise :wink:

Today I have done:
Further Maths: started work on graphs and networks. We basically started right from the beginning and learnt quite a few definitions to do with the topic, whereas tomorrow we're going to look at actual applications of these graphs.

Maths: learnt how to carry out a shuttle sort, and re-taught how to carry out a quick sort (due to the mixup I mentioned in my last update :s-smilie:)

Physics: learnt about baryon number, lepton number, electron number and muon number, how to decide whether a decay is feasible or not (or something along those lines) and then some practise exam questions on what we've learnt so far in that unit.

We got the FM mini assessment back today and I got an A which I was very pleased with! :biggrin: Like I said I'll definitely start with note making tomorrow, so my updates will hopefully become slightly more interesting!

Aw well done Niamh ! Your going to ace alevels 😌
Original post by nisha.sri
Aw well done Niamh ! Your going to ace alevels 😌

Thank you so much! 😊 x
20/09/2016 - Evening update

Hey, look who kept her promise! :tongue:

Today I have - School:
Physics: Looked at Feynman diagrams in more detail - can now draw and describe 5 different diagrams, and write their equations :u:

Further Maths: Learnt Kruskal's and Prim's Algorithms for finding the minimum spanning tree of a graph

Today I have - Home:
Physics: Made neat notes on the atom, charge and mass of proton, neutron and electron, specific charge, particle classification, quantum properties and Feynman diagrams (basically everything we've covered so far with one of our teachers), made flashcards on the same topics but only as far as particle classification (going to carry on now though :smile:)

Been quite productive today! Annoyingly I can't start my maths or further maths homework because I have no lessons tomorrow which means I need work for study periods. Hey, at least I don't have to do it at home! :biggrin:

Since I've seen a few others do it (and I LOVE seeing them) I thought I'd upload a picture of a little bit of what I've done today - enjoy my physics notes! :h:
IMG_2018.jpg
Well done and i love your notes X
Well done and i love your notes X

Thank you! X
20/09/2016 - Evening update

Hey, look who kept her promise! :tongue:

Today I have - School:
Physics: Looked at Feynman diagrams in more detail - can now draw and describe 5 different diagrams, and write their equations :u:

Further Maths: Learnt Kruskal's and Prim's Algorithms for finding the minimum spanning tree of a graph

Today I have - Home:
Physics: Made neat notes on the atom, charge and mass of proton, neutron and electron, specific charge, particle classification, quantum properties and Feynman diagrams (basically everything we've covered so far with one of our teachers), made flashcards on the same topics but only as far as particle classification (going to carry on now though :smile:)

Been quite productive today! Annoyingly I can't start my maths or further maths homework because I have no lessons tomorrow which means I need work for study periods. Hey, at least I don't have to do it at home! :biggrin:

Since I've seen a few others do it (and I LOVE seeing them) I thought I'd upload a picture of a little bit of what I've done today - enjoy my physics notes! :h:
IMG_2018.jpg

Wow they're so neat! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilacpotato
Wow they're so neat! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I do try to make my notes neat as it stresses me out otherwise! :tongue:
24/09/2016 - Afternoon update

Sorry it's been another couple of days.

Since I last updated I have:
Maths: work on quadratics including factorising, expanding, solving using formula and completing the square. STILL not onto any A Level content yet but we'll get there eventually.

Further Maths: Prim's algorithm from a distance matrix, Dijkstra's algorithm.

Physics: maths skills we'll need in physics.

No more progress with revising physics for my test but I'll get some more done tomorrow and on Monday.

Today I helped out at my school's open day and met some lovely parents and kids, which was nice :smile:

Until next time...
26/09/2016 - Morning update

So I just thought I'd do a little update showing what I've done over the weekend :smile:

Maths: homework/extra practice on solving quadratics by factorising, completing the square and using the formula, using the discriminant to determine whether roots are real and distinct, real and equal or not real.

Further Maths: homework on Dijkstra's algorithm and some more practice on it

Physics: a couple more q&a cards made, about another 2 pages of notes made on waves

I've done a bit this weekend but not as much as I wanted, seeing as I've got this physics test tomorrow and I haven't revised for it fully yet :s-smilie:

Here's a picture of my incredibly messy maths homework (I'm a very scruffy mathematician!) cause I like uploading pictures of what I've been up to :smile:

IMG_2063.jpg

Tonight I'll obviously be focusing on physics in prep for tomorrow. I'm slightly nervous about this test actually as my teacher's expecting us all to do quite well! :s-smilie:
26/09/2016 - Morning update

So I just thought I'd do a little update showing what I've done over the weekend :smile:

Maths: homework/extra practice on solving quadratics by factorising, completing the square and using the formula, using the discriminant to determine whether roots are real and distinct, real and equal or not real.

Further Maths: homework on Dijkstra's algorithm and some more practice on it

Physics: a couple more q&a cards made, about another 2 pages of notes made on waves

I've done a bit this weekend but not as much as I wanted, seeing as I've got this physics test tomorrow and I haven't revised for it fully yet :s-smilie:

Here's a picture of my incredibly messy maths homework (I'm a very scruffy mathematician!) cause I like uploading pictures of what I've been up to :smile:

IMG_2063.jpg

Tonight I'll obviously be focusing on physics in prep for tomorrow. I'm slightly nervous about this test actually as my teacher's expecting us all to do quite well! :s-smilie:

WOW that's amazing !! Well done and your work looks really good :h: Good luck for physics
WOW that's amazing !! Well done and your work looks really good :h: Good luck for physics

I didn't think it was that much haha, but thank you! :h: x
27/09/2016 - Afternoon update

"Path to Perfection" yeah right...

Today I had my physics test, and despite all the time I'd spent revising for it, all the effort I'd put into my q&a cards and quizzing myself, it went horrendously. I was almost in tears.

I felt underprepared for each and every question, even though I thought I'd learnt everything that I needed to. I made up more answers than I was confident with, it was honestly terrible.

After the test was over we had to mark them ourselves, using the mark scheme. I ended up with 23 marks. It was out of 38. Most other people didn't find it too hard. I got the lowest in the class.

To make matters worse my teacher calculated grade boundaries for this test based on the real ones. It was 23 for a C. I scraped a C.

I'm so completely and utterly disappointed in myself. I guess the jump between GCSE and A level Physics is too much for me to handle. Let the tears commence I guess.

Today I had my physics test, and despite all the time I'd spent revising for it, all the effort I'd put into my q&a cards and quizzing myself, it went horrendously. I was almost in tears.

I felt underprepared for each and every question, even though I thought I'd learnt everything that I needed to. I made up more answers than I was confident with, it was honestly terrible.

After the test was over we had to mark them ourselves, using the mark scheme. I ended up with 23 marks. It was out of 38. Most other people didn't find it too hard. I got the lowest in the class.

To make matters worse my teacher calculated grade boundaries for this test based on the real ones. It was 23 for a C. I scraped a C.

I'm so completely and utterly disappointed in myself. I guess the jump between GCSE and A level Physics is too much for me to handle. Let the tears commence I guess.

Aww, I'm sure you'll get there 💜 I was taking physics too and although I understood the content I was scraping Cs as well on tests. I decided to dro physics as you're right it is a big jump but keep working and you'll get there 😊

Aw i'm sure you will do well don't let this discourage you :smile:
Original post by ChemGeek16
Aww, I'm sure you'll get there 💜 I was taking physics too and although I understood the content I was scraping Cs as well on tests. I decided to dro physics as you're right it is a big jump but keep working and you'll get there 😊

Thank you, I hope I do 😪

Aw i'm sure you will do well don't let this discourage you :smile:

Thank you Nisha, I'll try not to 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending