The Student Room Group

Oxford Maths Requirements

I am currently in yr 13 and debating whether to take AS further maths.

Oxfords requirements for maths:

A*A*A (with A*'s in maths and further maths-A2)

A*AAa (A* in maths and 'a' in AS further maths

A*AA (A* in maths-for non further maths applicants)

So I was wondering whether I would have a better chance of getting in if i had A*AA (no further maths) or A*AAb ('b' in AS further maths). If oxford were to prefer the former then surely it is a bit risky taking AS further maths, considering that you are expected to get an 'a' at further maths AS.
Reply 1
If you want to study maths at university (especially at Oxford) you should be taking AS further maths anyway. If your school offers it, then definitely take it.
I think I read somewhere that in 2015 out of the 1800 applicants, of those who didnt take futher maths, only 2 got in.
Reply 3
tbh you're unlikely to get in for maths if you can't get an easy A* in FM - the non FM applicant offer is for people whose schools don't offer it or such circumstances out of their control.
have a read of this, you might find it useful for helping you with your decision.

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/Mathsgroup%20feedback%202015.pdf
I'm really sorry but if you think you'd get a B in AS Further Maths, I don't think you've got a realistic chance of getting into Oxford for Maths.
Reply 6
Original post by Plagioclase
I'm really sorry but if you think you'd get a B in AS Further Maths, I don't think you've got a realistic chance of getting into Oxford for Maths.

well,at the moment i have no idea how I think I would do, just wanted to get more info on the requirements.
Reply 7
I am not sure why people put so much emphasis on grades when they are probably not close to as important as the interview or MAT. I have never seen someone post a thread Mat Score: 50. Will I get in Oxford? or something like that when in reality MAT score and interview will matter much more than your grades.
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
tbh you're unlikely to get in for maths if you can't get an easy A* in FM - the non FM applicant offer is for people whose schools don't offer it or such circumstances out of their control.

^ This
Reply 9
Original post by Overses
I am not sure why people put so much emphasis on grades when they are probably not close to as important as the interview or MAT. I have never seen someone post a thread Mat Score: 50. Will I get in Oxford? or something like that when in reality MAT score and interview will matter much more than your grades.

Maybe because they're not told their MAT score?
Original post by trythis
If you want to study maths at university (especially at Oxford) you should be taking AS further maths anyway. If your school offers it, then definitely take it.

This is also our advice - you should enjoy Further Maths!
Reply 11
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
This is also our advice - you should enjoy Further Maths!

I also have another question regarding physics; I was on the UCAS website looking at courses and I couldn't find a 3 year physics course only a masters.
Is there only one course now??? -thanks
Original post by patrick_horro
I also have another question regarding physics; I was on the UCAS website looking at courses and I couldn't find a 3 year physics course only a masters.
Is there only one course now??? -thanks

MPhys is a four year integrated BA + Masters but there is an option to leave with a BA after the 3rd year which some students decide to exercise.
Reply 13
BA as in bachelor of arts??? Apologise if thats a stupid question
MPhys is a four year integrated BA + Masters but there is an option to leave with a BA after the 3rd year which some students decide to exercise.
BA as in bachelor of arts??? Apologise if thats a stupid question

Yes, that's right - we were trying to eat and type at the same time (not recommended!).
Reply 15
Does that mean there will be essay questions as I always thought (in simple terms) BA was more writing at BSc was more maths to a certain degree, pun intentional xD
Yes, that's right - we were trying to eat and type at the same time (not recommended!).
Reply 16
Does that mean there will be essay questions as I always thought (in simple terms) BA was more writing at BSc was more maths to a certain degree, pun intentional xD

no
Reply 17
Original post by Zacken
Maybe because they're not told their MAT score?

But after someone do the MAT, there will definitely be problems that they can't solve. Yet almost no one is as concerned about them (because I am pretty sure OP isn't getting 100 on the MAT) and worries more about A level instead while their focus should be more on doing well on the MAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending