The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thank you very much, ash92, IdeasForLife, h333 and HAnwar! :smile:

I look forward to contributing to this thread, In sha Allah.

I might as well get started. I have a question for everyone. On average, how long does it take for you to do wudhu?
I usually take 8-10 minutes but have occasionally taken 6 minutes (or less).
Original post by saeed9764
و عليكم اسلام
Boss man. Im planning on going to some of the sikh soc events this year. Is there anything i should know before hand so i dont purposefully offend them?

Some of these points you should be aware of for yourself, not just to not offend them:
- If they aren't vegetarian, they are generally prohibited from halal meat, so if you want to offer food to mandems, be weary of that.
- They get vexed if you say Nanak (their first Guru) was a Muslim; only say it if you want some extra troll points.
- Avoid saying that the Granth (their book) is just a book and not a 'living' Guru; more troll points if you emphasise why it's just a book.
- If you ever get taken to a Gurdwara on one of the Sikh soc events, politely decline to bow to the Granth at the front; usually all people make sujood when they go in the main hall, but they should excuse you as a Muslim.
- If they offer you "prashad" (basically halwa), do not throw any of it away or throw it in the bin or spit it out - it would be considered offensive. It's sometimes considered rude to reject it, unless you have a genuine reason, or perhaps you could explain to someone with you at the event why you cant have it. Worth noting that as it's being made, they recite words from the Granth, so it is up to your judgement whether the food is haram or not as it is not meat being slaughtered in a name other than Allah.
- If you are in a Gurdwara, keep your head covered and your feet not pointed towards the front - they get annoyed with that.
Original post by FantasticMsFox

I might as well get started. I have a question for everyone. On average, how long does it take for you to do wudhu?

Like one minute...am I doing it wrong or something :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/09/syria-deadly-aid-convoy-bombing-ceasefire-ends-160919194433498.html

10s of Muslims killed by the regime and allies ( Iran, hezbollah, russia etc...). The ceasefire was a joke anyway but it now it seems they're no longer hiding that fact.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2264
Original post by IdeasForLife
Shaykh al-Islam of the British Isles, Abdullah Quilliam (rahimahullah) who founded England's first mosque. Found pic interesting.

Spoiler

Wow, really?

Original post by HAnwar
Sure? Lmk if you wanna talk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is complicated. Thanks I will if I really need to x

You're welcome :smile:
Lol nice question, but honestly I have not taken notice of the time exactly. I take my time but I would say about 5-7 mins max. I think I need to time myself :lol: to answer correctly.
Reply 2265
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/09/syria-deadly-aid-convoy-bombing-ceasefire-ends-160919194433498.html

10s of Muslims killed by the regime and allies ( Iran, hezbollah, russia etc...). The ceasefire was a joke anyway but it now it seems they're no longer hiding that fact.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un. This world is corrupt because the power is in the wrong hands.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by h333
Wow, really?

Yep.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/09/syria-deadly-aid-convoy-bombing-ceasefire-ends-160919194433498.html10s of Muslims killed by the regime and allies ( Iran, hezbollah, russia etc...). The ceasefire was a joke anyway but it now it seems they're no longer hiding that fact.Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un
Activist group the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said 12 people - aid workers and truck drivers - had died. The Syrian government has not commented.I call BS, not credit worthy

You're welcome bro.

Normally around the same time as you bro. If I need to be super quick then probs 4 mins.
Original post by HAnwar
Like one minute...am I doing it wrong or something :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

One minute?! 😱 I don't think that's possible. 2 minutes at the very least. My dad takes an average of 3 minutes.

Original post by h333

You're welcome :smile:
Lol nice question, but honestly I have not taken notice of the time exactly. I take my time but I would say about 5-7 mins max. I think I need to time myself :lol: to answer correctly.

I think that's a reasonable time. I'd like to cut down to 6 minutes max. I take a bit more time on my face, hair and ears. Sometimes I think it's waswasa so that more water than necessary is used (or something like that) but then I don't want to miss any areas.

I think it's important that we think about what we're doing during wudhu and not just do it. The Hadith about wudhu washing away sins (or something similar) comes to mind.
Asalamualaikum, logged into TSR after ages, last post in the the ISOC was in January. Hope everyone is well. SubhanAllah a lot happened for me in the last few months. One thing I have learned is that everything that is perceived as a test is actually a blessing, every perceived test is an opportunity to get closer to Allah, therefore the more you use this opportunity to increase your imaan the easier it will be for you to accept that everything that happens is for the best. One other thing is that duas are always accepted. I might share a few examples later but they are a bit personal but no matter what you ask for never doubt it wont be accepted or think 'it's just not going to be possible'. A dua I have been making for the last four years pretty much everyday was answered, if it was answered earlier, I would actually have been in a difficult situation so only Allah knows the best time for you to be in the situation that you find yourself in. Lastly, never despair, a Muslim should never despair. Actually the last thing is smile, always keep smiling.
You're welcome bro.

Normally around the same time as you bro. If I need to be super quick then probs 4 mins.

I'm not sure why you're calling me bro. I'm female. Unless if you're doing it in some sort of casual way. I don't know.

Yeah, I take around 5 minutes when I need to be quick.
Original post by guided1
ikr why does every other thread have to be picking faults with Islam and talking about terrorism? I bet they all say that the bombs in New York were Muslims but most terrorist attacks in America are by christians.

This may be because most of these terror attacks were carried out by people who happen to be Christians but carried out the attack in the name of another ideology like far-right extremism or Eco-terrorism, whereas most Muslim terrorists do actually carry out terror attacks in the name of Islam. And although non-Muslims may carry out more attacks than Muslims. Islamic terror attacks cause far more casualties and are of a larger scale, as seen by 9/11, the Paris attacks, the Orlando shooting etc...

The vast majority of people would agree that Islamic terrorism is a far bigger danger to the Western world than Christian extremism. Very few people have been killed in recent times by radical Christian terror groups, but many people are killed every month by radical Islamic terror groups.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with talking about terrorism. I would imagine that, since there have been so many high-profile terror attacks in the Western world recently, most of which were caused by Islamic terrorists, people would be questioning Islam and whether it is a peaceful or violent religion. It's perfectly fine to pick faults with Islam or any other ideology, especially at a time when we are struggling to cope with Islamic terrorism. I would hope that the Islamic community is doing all it can to stop radicalisation and terrorism but at the moment we can clearly tell that this hasn't been the case.
I'm not sure why you're calling me bro. I'm female. Unless if you're doing it in some sort of casual way. I don't know.

Yeah, I take around 5 minutes when I need to be quick.

Sorry my bad. I actually thought you were a boy, I will use sis* in future.

Original post by TheFreeSlave
Asalamualaikum, logged into TSR after ages, last post in the the ISOC was in January. Hope everyone is well. SubhanAllah a lot happened for me in the last few months. One thing I have learned is that everything that is perceived as a test is actually a blessing, every perceived test is an opportunity to get closer to Allah, therefore the more you use this opportunity to increase your imaan the easier it will be for you to accept that everything that happens is for the best. One other thing is that duas are always accepted. I might share a few examples later but they are a bit personal but no matter what you ask for never doubt it wont be accepted or think 'it's just not going to be possible'. A dua I have been making for the last four years pretty much everyday was answered, if it was answered earlier, I would actually have been in a difficult situation so only Allah knows the best time for you to be in the situation that you find yourself in. Lastly, never despair, a Muslim should never despair. Actually the last thing is smile, always keep smiling.

Wa'alaykumasalaam, welcome back!

Good post. I'm glad things worked out for you :smile:
Original post by biglad2k16
I would hope that the Islamic community is doing all it can to stop radicalisation and terrorism but at the moment we can clearly tell that this hasn't been the case.

I don't think you know Islamic communities very well.

Walaikum as-salaam. :smile:

JazakAllah Khair for your post. I've been feeling a bit down on and off over the past week so I think I needed that last sentence about smiling. Whenever I feel down, I open this app on my phone called Good News Network. They have a couple of articles everyday and they can cheer me up a bit. Here's one of my favourites: Man Becomes Hero To Cats In War-Torn Syria: http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/man-becomes-hero-cats-war-torn-syria/

It might seem silly but I like Dory's motto "Just keep swimming". I just need to remember it often.

Sometimes I wonder if I have the mental age of a 10-year-old...
Reply 2276
Yep.

Cool.

I think that's a reasonable time. I'd like to cut down to 6 minutes max. I take a bit more time on my face, hair and ears. Sometimes I think it's waswasa so that more water than necessary is used (or something like that) but then I don't want to miss any areas.

I think it's important that we think about what we're doing during wudhu and not just do it. The Hadith about wudhu washing away sins (or something similar) comes to mind.

I take time time on my face too. I feel so guilty using more water than necessary at times :redface: but I am sooo bad at using less water.

I agree, we should take it very seriously. Islam is so beautiful and everything within it is so meaningful and beneficial to us SubhanAllah. Not only do we get to erase some sins but also keep clean.

This hadith comes to my mind actually:
وَعَنْ إِبْرَاهِيمَ، قَالَ قَالَ صَالِحُ بْنُ كَيْسَانَ قَالَ ابْنُ شِهَابٍ وَلَكِنْ عُرْوَةُ يُحَدِّثُ عَنْ حُمْرَانَ،، فَلَمَّا تَوَضَّأَ عُثْمَانُ قَالَ أَلاَ أُحَدِّثُكُمْ حَدِيثًا لَوْلاَ آيَةٌ مَا حَدَّثْتُكُمُوهُ، سَمِعْتُ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَقُولُ ‏"‏ لاَ يَتَوَضَّأُ رَجُلٌ فَيُحْسِنُ وُضُوءَهُ، وَيُصَلِّي الصَّلاَةَ إِلاَّ غُفِرَ لَهُ مَا بَيْنَهُ وَبَيْنَ الصَّلاَةِ حَتَّى يُصَلِّيَهَا ‏"‏‏.‏ قَالَ عُرْوَةُ الآيَةُ ‏{‏إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يَكْتُمُونَ مَا أَنْزَلْنَا مِنَ الْبَيِّنَاتِ‏}‏‏.‏

After performing the ablution 'Uthman said, "I am going to tell you a Hadith which I would not have told you, had I not been compelled by a certain Holy Verse (the sub narrator 'Urwa said: This verse is: "Verily, those who conceal the clear signs and the guidance which we have sent down...)" (2:159). I heard the Prophet (ﷺ) saying, 'If a man performs ablution perfectly and then offers the compulsory congregational prayer, Allah will forgive his sins committed between that (prayer) and the (next) prayer till he offers it.

Sahih Bukhari
(Ablutions (Wudu'))
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 160
In-book reference : Book 4, Hadith 26
I don't think you know Islamic communities very well.

I am saying that from the vast numbers of radical Islamic terror attacks in the West, it's clear that the Muslim community has a larger problem with terror on the whole than other communities. For example, a few days before the Orlando shooting, the local mosque which the shooter attended held an event where a speaker said that 'gays must die'.

http://fusion.net/story/313063/orlando-terror-attack-muslim-lgbt/

The fact that the government needs to organise schemes like Prevent to stop radicalisation also shows that mosques aren't doing enough in their own to discourage intolerance and radicalisation
Reply 2278

Wa'alaikum Assalaam :smile:
Amazing, wise words, jazakAllah khair for sharing. Made me feel so good for some reason, honestly :h: SubhanAllah.
Original post by h333
Lol idk y that is so cool.

Because i am just so cool 😎
Original post by HAnwar

Lol have fun distributing them all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wont. Ive done what i could and im gonna burn the rest. I dont know who this Imam is and im not going to the event lol. Just helping out because im part of the isoc.

Latest