Reported :banned:
:moon:

Original post by ZigZigRacoon

Spoiler

Hello again, pinkteddyx64. :tongue:

Original post by PerplexingGeode
That is true, however - we have experienced historical and harsh winters previously, such as that of 1946-47, 1962-63, 2009-10 etc; conversely, this country would be more equipped to manage with snowy conditions if the weather in the UK was not extremely interchangeable. Indeed it was good when we had snow, particularly in 2009-10; I believe our school sent everyone home, for three consecutive days!

:smile:

Well, I didn't know that! I do remember the 2009/2010 winter, I don't even think my taxi was able to make it to my house, or get out of the street safely enough, so that was called off! Didn't know about '46-'47 and '62-'63 as I wasn't alive then! :biggrin:
Yep I remember when we were sent home!

Original post by PerplexingGeode

Yes, I am hopeful that we will actually experience a decent accumulation of snow, this year. However, according to one forecaster; notably GavsWeatherVids, the technicalities of the factors that influence weather in our country are currently bizarre - in the way that it is unique and has not been perceived before, at least not since the 1950s. What should have occurred, is the persisting westerly QBO should have switched to an easterly QBO by now, as the cycle switches between one another, every 28 to 29 months; however - it has not changed. So, how this winter will pan out, remains a mystery; especially since weather forecasting is not an exact science! :wink:

Hmm, it'd be nice to have a bit of snow now that I don't have to worry about the trains getting stuck, or similar! If the QBO cycles haven't changed, does that mean we may have a rather unpredictable winter then, whereby we could have significant amounts of snowfall? :wink:
Yep, weather forecasting is not an exact science and what has been forecast at the start of the month could change quite substantially by the end of the month!

(edited 7 years ago)

If only we can do this to Pinkteddy :mmm:

Hey Matrix :smile: Guess who's back again...

Original post by mr T 999

If only we can do this to Pinkteddy :mmm:

Haha, PRSOM!!! :biggrin:

Original post by spotify95
Well, I didn't know that! I do remember the 2009/2010 winter, I don't even think my taxi was able to make it to my house, or get out of the street safely enough, so that was called off! Didn't know about '46-'47 and '62-'63 as I wasn't alive then! :biggrin:
Yep I remember when we were sent home!

Hmm, it'd be nice to have a bit of snow now that I don't have to worry about the trains getting stuck, or similar! If the QBO cycles haven't changed, does that mean we may have a rather unpredictable winter then, whereby we could have significant amounts of snowfall? :wink:
Yep, weather forecasting is not an exact science and what has been forecast at the start of the month could change quite substantially by the end of the month!

Yes, it was dubbed the 'Big Freeze' and concealed virtually all landmass in the UK with snow, as depicted in a satellite view of Earth during the winter of 2009-10. Oh dear! I understand why the taxi would not have been able to reach you; in vast amounts of snow, the tyre traction is reduced - therefore making driving dangerous in any vehicle; however, 4x4 vehicles are more likely to fare better in the snow! Walking to school was treacherous, like the Sherbet Land level on Mario Kart 64! :biggrin:

Yes, that is true - I am an avid snow fanatic, thus I will always be optimistic for snow, despite normally being a pessimist! We may well have an unpredictable winter, I think that the forecasters are not sure exactly how this winter is going to pan out. I am always hoping for vast amounts of snowfall, of course - you already know that by now! :wink:

Yes, there are various contributory factors, such as ice cover, ice melt, sunspot activity, the phase of which we are in with regards to the sun, such as the Dalton or Maunder minimum, temperatures in the Atlantic Ocean, positioning of the jetstream, the QBO phase, etc; with so many influencing factors, this is what makes forecasting long term, so difficult.

Latest