The Student Room Group

not happy about my first day of uni

i just had my first day, 2 lectures and a practical, it was very fast paced :s and i'm gonna go over the lectures again. I haven't made any friends on my course yet :frown: and i have no idea how to go about studying at uni as it seems a lot different from school. i'm doing chemistry but how do you guys study?? this is all worrying me and i'm afraid i'll fail :/ also how often do u guys study during the week??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you have any breaks in between like (2/3 hours)? Try suggesting making a Facebook group/chat for everyone to talk to and get to know each other. How about going early to lecture so you can talk to people before the lecture starts?

In terms of studying, I don't study chemistry but you could make sure you take lecture notes. I usually print my lecture slides out and take notes alongside because I don't want to rush through anything the lecturer is saying. In the fear of writing everything down and having what's necessary only. You could try colour coding and highlighting?

I wouldn't recommend a laptop or dictaphone. With laptop it's very easy to get distracted and dictaphone you have to make time to listen back to lectures.
Original post by Ishax
Do you have any breaks in between like (2/3 hours)? Try suggesting making a Facebook group/chat for everyone to talk to and get to know each other. How about going early to lecture so you can talk to people before the lecture starts?

In terms of studying, I don't study chemistry but you could make sure you take lecture notes. I usually print my lecture slides out and take notes alongside because I don't want to rush through anything the lecturer is saying. In the fear of writing everything down and having what's necessary only. You could try colour coding and highlighting?

I wouldn't recommend a laptop or dictaphone. With laptop it's very easy to get distracted and dictaphone you have to make time to listen back to lectures.

i'm really shy and i find it hard to talk to people :/ today i had a 2 hour break between my lecture and practical, tomorrow i'm free so i'm gonna go over the lectures i had today and add some notes. i'm not really gonna bother taking my laptop around as it is very heavy, and my uni already records their lectures so i'll just go over them in my free time...my flat mates seemed to have had a good day with their lectures but i feel like i didn't learn anything today :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by bubblegumcat
i'm really shy and i find it hard to talk to people :/ today i had a 2 hour break between my lecture and practical, tomorrow i'm free so i'm gonna go over the lectures i had today and add some notes. i'm not really gonna bother taking my laptop around as it is very heavy, and my uni already records their lectures so i'll just go over them in my free time...my flat mates seemed to have had a good day with their lectures but i feel like i didn't learn anything today :/
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, I know it's hard but you will have to talk to people and break the ice. Try talking to people who you think look nice! :smile:
Original post by Ishax
Hmm, I know it's hard but you will have to talk to people and break the ice. Try talking to people who you think look nice! :smile:

i'll try! thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i just had my first day, 2 lectures and a practical, it was very fast paced :s and i'm gonna go over the lectures again. I haven't made any friends on my course yet :frown: and i have no idea how to go about studying at uni as it seems a lot different from school. i'm doing chemistry but how do you guys study?? this is all worrying me and i'm afraid i'll fail :/ also how often do u guys study during the week??

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are worried about missing things in lectures then bring a recorder with you so you can listen back to the lecture to go over the notes. I found this helpful in my first degree. The amount of time studying differs person to person but universities usually say we need 30-35 hours a week which still gives us enough time to have a social life. What university are you in btw, and also just say hi to people, ask where their from, how long they've been here, how they've found moving to uni etc. and let the convo go from there. Everyone is in the same boat with you so just go out and say hi, most times they'll say hi back :smile: Just keep trying until you find a group you can be comfortable around.
Original post by Random.guy
If you are worried about missing things in lectures then bring a recorder with you so you can listen back to the lecture to go over the notes. I found this helpful in my first degree. The amount of time studying differs person to person but universities usually say we need 30-35 hours a week which still gives us enough time to have a social life. What university are you in btw, and also just say hi to people, ask where their from, how long they've been here, how they've found moving to uni etc. and let the convo go from there. Everyone is in the same boat with you so just go out and say hi, most times they'll say hi back :smile: Just keep trying until you find a group you can be comfortable around.

hey thanks, i'm not really comfortable mentioning what uni i go to sorry. When should i start using textbooks that they reccommend? sorry if it's a dumb question. and how long does it usually take for people to make friends when they start uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello :smile:,

It's perfectly normal to feel this way after your first day of university. It can be a bit overwhelming at first as it is so different to other education but it's been your first day - you're letting it all get to you when you haven't gave yourself chance to settle in. It doesn't happen straight away.

It is fast paced but you'll adapt to it - just give it chance. Most students go over their lectures after they've been in them to catch up on notes and what not. You will make friends - it's only been ONE day, remember that! It'll happen in time.

If you're struggling with how to study talk to your lecturers or student support and they'll be able to work with you to see how you study best! You won't fail, you've just got to adjust and I probably study in some way at least four days a week.

Good luck :biggrin:
thank you :smile: i'm gonna go over my lectures tomorrow since i have most of the day off. It's all a bit overwhelming :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :smile:,

It's perfectly normal to feel this way after your first day of university. It can be a bit overwhelming at first as it is so different to other education but it's been your first day - you're letting it all get to you when you haven't gave yourself chance to settle in. It doesn't happen straight away.

It is fast paced but you'll adapt to it - just give it chance. Most students go over their lectures after they've been in them to catch up on notes and what not. You will make friends - it's only been ONE day, remember that! It'll happen in time.

If you're struggling with how to study talk to your lecturers or student support and they'll be able to work with you to see how you study best! You won't fail, you've just got to adjust and I probably study in some way at least four days a week.

Good luck :biggrin:

thank you :smile: i'm gonna go over my lectures tomorrow since i have most of the day off. It's all a bit overwhelming :/
and everyone seems to know what they're doing but i have no clue :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's only been a couple of days so you need to just take time to calm down and put things into perspective. The chances are you're not the only one feeling slightly overwhelmed with the work but think back to how you felt during alevels at the start as you probably had a similar worry that you're gonna fail but now you've made it into uni so you're definitely capable of doing well.

I start uni in a few days and I'm really panicking that I'm gonna be struggling but then I realise everyone else is likely gonna be feeling the same and chances are the marks for first year don't even count for your degree rank so try not to panic too much !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take a deep breath - you're going to be fine! I can assure you that so many students (Even your flatmates) are likely to feel the same, they're just not letting on :smile:

Aiming to sit with people that look friendly is a really good tip. Just say hello - they'll feel touched that you've made an effort.

Getting your head around lectures and seminars will happen in time. I remember emailing the lecturer once to say I had lost my voice so I did have to answer any questions because I was so nervous at the start and I think I was one of the confident ones!! :lol:

You got the grades to be there - you are smart enough to be there :h:
I didn't like my first two days. (I am on second day) The lectures arr very boring and I have barely spoken to anyone so you are not alone
Original post by fefssdf
It's only been a couple of days so you need to just take time to calm down and put things into perspective. The chances are you're not the only one feeling slightly overwhelmed with the work but think back to how you felt during alevels at the start as you probably had a similar worry that you're gonna fail but now you've made it into uni so you're definitely capable of doing well.

I start uni in a few days and I'm really panicking that I'm gonna be struggling but then I realise everyone else is likely gonna be feeling the same and chances are the marks for first year don't even count for your degree rank so try not to panic too much !!

it was a lot easier during a levels though because the teachers would just spoon feed us haha, figuring out how to learn this all on my own is very confusing, good luck at uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by She-Ra
Take a deep breath - you're going to be fine! I can assure you that so many students (Even your flatmates) are likely to feel the same, they're just not letting on :smile:

Aiming to sit with people that look friendly is a really good tip. Just say hello - they'll feel touched that you've made an effort.

Getting your head around lectures and seminars will happen in time. I remember emailing the lecturer once to say I had lost my voice so I did have to answer any questions because I was so nervous at the start and I think I was one of the confident ones!! :lol:

You got the grades to be there - you are smart enough to be there :h:

hmm i hope i'll figure this out eventually lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by loveleest
I didn't like my first two days. (I am on second day) The lectures arr very boring and I have barely spoken to anyone so you are not alone

i've been finding my lectures boring as well :/ nice to know i'm not alone in this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
it was a lot easier during a levels though because the teachers would just spoon feed us haha, figuring out how to learn this all on my own is very confusing, good luck at uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh that's kinda true and for alevels it's kinda like they just show you the examples and then the questions follow the same pattern but uni will be a bit more random
Original post by fefssdf
Yeh that's kinda true and for alevels it's kinda like they just show you the examples and then the questions follow the same pattern but uni will be a bit more random

yeah, hopefully i'll get used to it soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey thanks, i'm not really comfortable mentioning what uni i go to sorry. When should i start using textbooks that they reccommend? sorry if it's a dumb question. and how long does it usually take for people to make friends when they start uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually (at least for the lectures I had) they gave the recommended reading at the end of the slides. So I'd go and borrow those books from the library to read and make notes on the lecture from the recommended reading list.

Regarding the friends question, it depends, as it's different for everyone. Some people just fine people they immediately click with and get along with really well while others take some time to find people whom they get along with. You need to bear in mind that these people may not even be on your course, you may meet them at socials, in societies, at halls etc. so just try to put your self out there in a way :smile: good luck out there!
My first week at uni was pretty ****, ngl, but it gets better.
( also sign up for uni days here, myunidays.com/r/BuYO0VeA5o4)
Its actually decent

Quick Reply

Latest