The Student Room Group

18 and 32 weeks pregnant. AMA..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tw1x
What a load of crap. I can't even be bothered to put together an argument against you because your post is so offensive. An 18 year old is an adult, not a 'kid,' yes she may need support but so do majority of mothers, regardless of their age. Doesn't mean the baby is going to suffer at all. Its judgemental people like you that this world does not need, you don't know the girl and yet you're already pinning her as worst mother of the year award? Get a grip

Legally being an adult does not suddenly change your mental state, your level of maturity. I never said anything about a worst mother of the year award, so the only one needing a grip is you, vastly overreacting. As I just mentioned, just look at the statistics people have already posted. I am the one who doesn't need to put together an argument, as you just have to look at the statistics.

What a joke of a post.
Original post by yudothis
Some people have already posted statistics. For the sake of your child, good luck.

I really don't care about statistics and I don't need your luck.
Legally being an adult does not suddenly change your mental state, your level of maturity. I never said anything about a worst mother of the year award, so the only one needing a grip is you, vastly overreacting. As I just mentioned, just look at the statistics people have already posted. I am the one who doesn't need to put together an argument, as you just have to look at the statistics.

What a joke of a post.

What is with you and statistics? There are also mothers 10years older than me who cannot cope or are struggling. There are women my age who are great mothers. There are exceptions to everything, my baby will be just fine
Reply 163
All the best with everything. Your life does not end here. I wish you a safe delivery when the day comes. So many negative comments here; it's baffling. It's not an easy journey but it is one filled with joy. Enjoy every moment because they go by so quickly. Happy mum, happy baby.
Original post by kbl87
All the best with everything. Your life does not end here. I wish you a safe delivery when the day comes. So many negative comments here; it's baffling. It's not an easy journey but it is one filled with joy. Enjoy every moment because they go by so quickly. Happy mum, happy baby.

Thank you!
I'm so sick of people telling me what I am and am not capable of doing.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you!
I'm so sick of people telling me what I am and am not capable of doing.

Good luck! You seem like a really mature and smart person, your head screwed on much better than when I was your age. Lord knows there are plenty of parents who had their kids at a so-called "desirable" age and messed them up big time. (In fact, struggling to think of a single friend or family member that wouldn't attribute a lot of their psychological issues to their childhood). There are never any guarantees in life whatever way you do it, all you can do is try your best!
Not sure if you'll be looking at comments this late on (boy has this thread blown up), but if you are...
How much negative (and positive) reaction are you getting? I can already tell that on here there is a lot of mixed opinion, but in real life are people generally supportive or do they criticise more?
Also, I know you are planning to keep the baby and raise it yourself, but did you at any point consider other options or think that it may be for the best? Has it been suggested much by others?

Oh and for the record, although I would not like the idea of becoming pregnant so young, I know people who have and I know people who were children of young parents and it has turned out fine for them.I actually study childcare and i've found that some of the younger parents can actually be more well equiped than older ones. Statistics are just averages, there is always an exption and that can easily be you. It's what you make of it and from what I have read on here it seems to me you're ready to make a questionable situation into a wonderful child/ family. Congratulatinos and I hope everything goes well with your pregnancy. :smile:

p.s kudos on owning up to the mistake inolved (contraception). I think an attitude where you are willing to admit mistakes will help you in general and as a parent. I hate when adults will never admit to a child that they made a mistake.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kindred
Not sure if you'll be looking at comments this late on (boy has this thread blown up), but if you are...
How much negative (and positive) reaction are you getting? I can already tell that on here there is a lot of mixed opinion, but in real life are people generally supportive or do they criticise more?
Also, I know you are planning to keep the baby and raise it yourself, but did you at any point consider other options or think that it may be for the best? Has it been suggested much by others?

Oh and for the record, although I would not like the idea of becoming pregnant so young, I know people who have and I know people who were children of young parents and it has turned out fine for them.I actually study childcare and i've found that some of the younger parents can actually be more well equiped than older ones. Statistics are just averages, there is always an exption and that can easily be you. It's what you make of it and from what I have read on here it seems to me you're ready to make a questionable situation into a wonderful child/ family. Congratulatinos and I hope everything goes well with your pregnancy. :smile:

p.s kudos on owning up to the mistake inolved (contraception). I think an attitude where you are willing to admit mistakes will help you in general and as a parent. I hate when adults will never admit to a child that they made a mistake.

When I first discovered I was pregnant, I got negative feedback from everyone except my boyfriend and my friends. As my pregnancy progressed, I started losing friends because they didn't want to be seen out with me which I guess is fair. I spoke to my great grandma on the phone recently and she didn't have the nicest things to say but that was to be expected. Other than that, everyone is really supportive now and are just eager to meet the baby. I don't like to go out much now though because I'm always stared at.

I considered a termination for a short time, but I couldn't bring myself to it. I'll tell you this, it's much easier to say you'll have an abortion if you fell pregnant inconveniently, but when you are actually placed in that position, it's a million times harder. I remember my mum and dad being furious with me for not going through with it, but they soon came round.

Thank you. I hold my hands up, of course I made a mistake, but it hurts me when people say that I'm irresponsible because I'm very much the opposite of that.

I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. Had I said that my child was planned, people would still call me stupid.
Private or state schooling?
Original post by Moonstruck16
Private or state schooling?

State
Well I have no extra questions to contribute but congratulations :smile: obviously it wasn't expected but I'm sure you'll be a great mum with a good support system.*
Oh I forgot to offer my congratulations! Do you know what you're having? I remember all of this like it was yesterday!
Original post by DanielleT192
Well I have no extra questions to contribute but congratulations :smile: obviously it wasn't expected but I'm sure you'll be a great mum with a good support system.*

Thank you, means a lot x
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Oh I forgot to offer my congratulations! Do you know what you're having? I remember all of this like it was yesterday!

Nope, keeping it a surprise although I have a feeling it's a girl. I'd be happy either way though
Nope, keeping it a surprise although I have a feeling it's a girl. I'd be happy either way though

I knew right from the beginning my son was a boy - don't know why, just had a mother's instinct :-)
Original post by Anna.Karenina
I knew right from the beginning my son was a boy - don't know why, just had a mother's instinct :-)

Yeah I think mum's tend to know. My mum knew she was going to have a boy, then she had my brother. And knew it was a girl, then she had me :smile:
Original post by Eternalflames
Yeah I think mum's tend to know. My mum knew she was going to have a boy, then she had my brother. And knew it was a girl, then she had me :smile:

I always called my bump 'him', and I don't even know why!

We've got a weird pattern in our family - my grandmother, my mum and my aunt all had a girl first, whereas I had a boy, and my Dad has got four daughters, three of whom have had just sons.
Reply 177

What a joke of a post.

Wow....some twisted stats to make teenage mums feel even better about themselves... If someone is going to be a crap mother, they're going to be one regardless of their age. (Just finished work so haven't looked at the stats since yesterday, but wasn't one about more likely to smoke and drink? That makes somebody a bad mother?) The OP is making the best out of a bad situation so why people are jumping down her throat I have no idea - atleast she is taking responsibility for her actions. She is aware it's going to be difficult but at least she is going in this with the right attitude.
Sorry, but can you PM me a pic of the baby?
Thx!
Title

how are you doing today, my love?

Quick Reply

Latest