The Student Room Group

Go to Southampton or...?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VictoriaCoolio
I'm still unsure about the course though. I've never coded before. But say I struggle would it be possible to change course to mathematics. I guess I am only doing the course because I've been pressured to by my parents and family and school. Is the course really that hard? But I'm good at maths and I've loved it all my life. But would it be easy to swap to maths degree when I get there? Also thank you. Because I've kind of realised I'm uninterested in computer science.

No need to fret most people haven't coded before, you'll pick it up easily enough if you're a logical thinker.

Inquire about the possibility of switching from CS to CS and Maths, CS gas a decent amount of maths in it as it is but may as well look into it.

You haven't studied CS yet, give it a bash instead of writing it off before getting there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My mum has already prepared my Nigerian passport and she has £2000 in her bank account. I just feel like my life is so much harder than everyone else's

LOOOOOOOOOL so you're Nigerian. That explains things somewhat, tell her to chill out ahaha and you too, you're making this situation a mountain out of a mole hill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My mum has already prepared my Nigerian passport and she has £2000 in her bank account. I just feel like my life is so much harder than everyone else's

Are you going to abuja?

Posted from TSR Mobile
@VictoriaCoolio
I would strongly advise you to seek professional help concerning your mental state. Starting uni is stressful time for anyone, but it seems to me that you have very high expectations of yourself and others that may not be met, and that you might find this very difficult without skilled support.

Just to be clear:

Southampton is a very good uni, and a place there is definitely worth having

You will not be 'out of place' in either direction with the grades you now have

Retaking your A levels would add very little value to your application to any other uni, and is certainly not feasible alongside studying for your degree

You need to focus on the 'here and now' and get on with organising yourself for uni - this is about you taking responsibility for yourself and what you do. You'd be well advised to move away from blaming 'circumstances' for any disappointments - we all have to face them, and learning to do so gracefully is part of growing up.
No I've left it too late I'll have to contact the universities directly to apply to them through clearing because the official date for Clearing 2016 applications through UCAS to end is 20th September 2016 after this you’ll need to contact universities directly. How is that done and would that be difficult?
You can't apply for a place through Clearing because you have a place at Southampton. It is far too late now to change, so it's a case of either you go to Southampton, or you take a gap year.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm 100% set on going back to school. But it's way too late. My friends have said I'm too good for Southampton and I should be setting my sights on Imperial or Cambridge or Oxford or Bristol or St Andrews. I had a physcotic breakdown. But I know now for sure what I want I think I'm set on taking a gap year and figuring out if I want to study maths or physics or computer science or actuarial science. All of their money has been wasted. If they kick me out of the house where do I go? And is it possible to send off a UCAS application without parents? Also should I just move out and move to London because I'm from Kent? I'm 18 so I should start taking responsibility for myself and I guess because everyone says I haven't even seen any hardships in life. My family don't even know me anymore or trust me. Can someone adopt me? I'm just not happy in my life or with my family and with the way my sister and brother have been beating up and abusing me. I'm not happy with the way my mum threatened to kill me with a cable when I was younger. I'm not happy with the way my sister keeps picking on my insecurities. I'm not happy with the way I'm so screwed. I'm not happy with the way my dad keeps all of my files and documents and takes my money and never gives it back. I'm not happy with the way my parents have molested me and done all these evil things in my life. I'm not happy with the way that my aunt flew in from Nigeria and is using me for holiday. I'm not happy with the way my mum says that's she's lived her life to the fullest and I'm only disappointing myself. I don't like the way my only friend is blackmailing me to block her number. I'm not happy with the way my dad abandons me and the way everyone keeps saying I have to go this year or Nigeria. Can someone adopt me please? Everyone would love to have a daughter like me. Everyone says stop being immature you are 18. Or can you someone please refer me to youth hostel? It's all because I never bother to correct people and my little sister is a *****. You only live once so I shouldn't have any regrets. I'm just too unstable and I want to run away from home. Help!!!

Why are you so obsessed with resisting? I told you a week or so ago to just move on but since you haven't little reality check for you: You're not even going to be anywhere near 'to good' for Southampton, in reality there will be far many better applicants with higher grades than you. So your friends are wrong.
Hey guys,

This has been made into its own thread and moved to mental health for now, this is where it seemed to fit best- particularly the last few posts. Please keep discussion in here on topic though, hope things work out for you OP :smile:
Thank you I just wish I had a do over button in life. I made the best out of a worst situation. I just took everything too far. It's not that bad I guess. Apparently I'm responsible for my own happiness. I feel like I deserve a life without mistakes. My sister said if I'm not done packing today she'll pay for my ticket to Nigeria herself. I feel like she's jealous of me.

It's true I'm probably going to be one of the worst people in my class. I've just had so many opportunities in life and I'm just striving for academic excellency. My sister says I l haven't even seen any hardships yet. I'm always living in the past and the future. She says everyone makes mistakes and we all have to live with that. Btw you guys on the TSR don't even know me. I'm so hard working and studious I could have gotten 3A*s if this hadn't happened.

But it did happen, so you're not good enough for oxbridge and should be greatful because Southampton is incredible!
This is without a doubt the funniest thread on TSR. 😂😂😂

Ps Hope Southampton is going well

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've also been told/forced by my personal academic tutor to suspend and differ until next year.

What do you think I should do I'm not even sure if I like the uni itself and I'm thinking of applying somewhere lower down. And I'm thinking of applying to unis in other countries and taking a year off and doing some work

Assuming this deferral is for health reasons, I think you should get the medical advice and treatment you need, and see how you feel after that.

Quick Reply

Latest