The Student Room Group

BM5 Southampton Medical Applicants 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Member1995
Hey,As for your A levels that would be fine assuming you took Chemistry (you only need a C). What are your GCSE's like?

I too am a graduate looking into the 5 year course. I emailed the uni a while back and using this years scoring system, the cut off was 2100 last year. However with 3 weeks left of testing, who knows, the average my go down and thus (hopefully) the cut off also.

AmaduM Online
0Rep:

now
ReportI see. So that means I would have just fallen short of the cut off last year. Well we'll just have to wait and see

I got a C in chemistry so I suppose that meets the requirements

GCSEs are ok but not great compared to school leavers. 5As 5Bs and 1 Btech distinction

Original post by AmaduM

ReportI see. So that means I would have just fallen short of the cut off last year. Well we'll just have to wait and see

I got a C in chemistry so I suppose that meets the requirements

GCSEs are ok but not great compared to school leavers. 5As 5Bs and 1 Btech distinction

Yes, just.

Your GCSE's seem fine too. I suppose it's a waiting game but we'll never be certain as to what the cut offs will be until after we apply unfortunately.

Good luck!
Reply 42
Wait so I don't need a UKCAT of 700+ to apply here?? I have 676
And this group task thing actually sounds fun!
Reply 43
Original post by Kraytz
Wait so I don't need a UKCAT of 700+ to apply here?? I have 676
And this group task thing actually sounds fun!

From what I've been reading I highly doubt you'd need a very high (above 700) UKCAT score for St George's. I'm not sure how exactly they do their selection process but the UKCAT threshold hasn't been very high in the past years. I think your UKCAT is worth a shot consideration the rest of your application is strong as well.
Reply 44
Original post by AmaduM
From what I've been reading I highly doubt you'd need a very high (above 700) UKCAT score for St George's. I'm not sure how exactly they do their selection process but the UKCAT threshold hasn't been very high in the past years. I think your UKCAT is worth a shot consideration the rest of your application is strong as well.

Do you mean southampton?
Reply 45
Original post by Kraytz
Do you mean southampton?

LOL! I received notifications for both Southampton and St George's so I think I got mixed up in the replies. In that case, my comment isn't really relevant here because I know Southampton put a lot of emphasis on the UKCAT. With regards to a specific cut-off I'm not too sure. That depends on how well everyone did that's applying. They definitely look more into the candidates that score in the high 600s or above. Again, I think your score should be ok but your academics and the rest of the application should be very strong in order to be competitive against the other applicants.
Reply 46
my ukcat is 683, the averages this year are a little higher than last year, do i stand much of a chance?
Original post by Neostigmine
Current 4th year student at Southampton here. Fire any questions my way. Happy to help.

I'm a 2017 applicant, will I have a chance of getting selected with an average score of 670?
Reply 48
Is it worth applying to the 5 year course as a grad with a UKCAT of 670?

Original post by Neostigmine
So just an update on the 2016 application stats:

Each group applying to BM5 is considered separately. Find the group you belong to to find your stats:

School Leavers (A levels)
No. of places: 126
No. of applicants: 636
Lowest UKCAT interviewed: 2560 (total)No. of interviews: 432
No. of offers: 250
Applicants per offer: 2.5

Graduates applying to the 5 year course
No. of places: 20
No. of applicants: 363
Lowest UKCAT interviewed: 2770 (total)
No. of interviews: 48
No. of offers: 20
Applicants per offer: 18

Mature non-graduates
No. of places: 5
No. of applicants: 40
Lowest UKCAT interviewed: 2400 (total)
No. of interviews: 24
No. of offers: 14
Applicants per offer: 3

Overseas applicants
No. of places: 12
No. of applicants: 153
Lowest UKCAT interviewed: 2120 (total)
No. of interviews: 72
No. of offers: 19
Applicants per offer: 8
Reply 49
Original post by Clareite

Surely you'd have to apply for the BM4 as a graduate student bm5 is for undergrad/no grads.

You'd probably be looking at the GMAT too not the UKCAT
Reply 50
I was under the impression that grads could still apply for the 5 year course?

Original post by vickie89uk
Surely you'd have to apply for the BM4 as a graduate student bm5 is for undergrad/no grads.

Reply 51
Graduates can apply for the undergraduate course and have to do the UKCAT for both 4 and 5 year courses. It's St George's that don't accept graduates onto their undergraduate scheme
Can someone who is currently studying medicine at Southhampton give like a list of pros and cons of the medical school/uni/life there? :smile: I'm considering applying there.

Also, I've been told it would be risky to apply here cos my UKCAT was 680 avg/2040 (which just scrapes into the third decile).. and apparently Southampton is heavy on the UKCAT?

Thank you!
Original post by Bright_Gift
I'm a 2017 applicant, will I have a chance of getting selected with an average score of 670?

Are you an A level student?

You'd have been interviewed this year if so and they're predictin UKCATs to drop again so I'd be optimistic.

Original post by drgoundry
AAAa?? Do you have to have an 'a' in the 4th AS. It doesn't say that on the admissions page. Thanks for clarifying

That was last year's requirements and an old post. With the new application cycle the 4th AS or EPQ is no longer required.

Original post by Chirag Gurung
Hey there guys I'm considering applying for the A100 or the A101 or both in Southampton Uni. I'm about to start studying my 3rd year Biomedical science and i am predicted a 2:1, I also did my UKCAT last week and managed to get a 727 average overall, my A Levels and GCSEs weren't amazing but they pass the minimum requirements, is there any hope for me :s-smilie:SSSSS. Thanks guys

You would have got a BM5 interview (A100) this year and juuuuust got an interview for BM4 (lowest ave interviewed 725).

We don't care about anything above the minimum requirements so just ace the interviews :h:
Original post by halimac
my ukcat is 683, the averages this year are a little higher than last year, do i stand much of a chance?

You would have been okay this year, and they think they might drop a bit for the next application cycle...

It's a risk but it's a good score.

You wouldn't have been interviewed this year... It's a risk as grads always perform well in the UKCAT but admissions have been saying they're expecting a drop. It's up to you :frown:

Original post by vickie89uk

No. There are spaces on many 5 year programmes for graduates. Southampton takes many grads for their 5 year course. Even the 4 year course just requires the UKCAT at southampton, not the GAMSAT.

I was under the impression that grads could still apply for the 5 year course?

You are entirely correct.

Original post by sububzi
Can someone who is currently studying medicine at Southhampton give like a list of pros and cons of the medical school/uni/life there? :smile: I'm considering applying there.

Also, I've been told it would be risky to apply here cos my UKCAT was 680 avg/2040 (which just scrapes into the third decile).. and apparently Southampton is heavy on the UKCAT?

Thank you!

You would have got an interview this year (we interview the highest UKCAT scorers and work down).

It's a great uni. Lots of support. Great night life and student societies. Excellent teaching but lots of early patient contact.
Original post by drgoundry
Why do you expect UKCAT scores to drop this year??

That's what admissions were saying at the open days. Something about losing a section that messes up scores and our UKCAT scores have been trending down.
I'm probably going to apply here, hopefully a UKCAT of 713 will be enough for an interview.
Reply 57
im a mature student (37). UKCAT of 650. Not great but not the worst. What's everyone's opinion of my chances of getting an interview?
Original post by xxxsbxxx
my ukcat is 767, is getting an interview at southampton a pretty safe bet? I live quite far away so I'm unsure of applying, but my other choices are st george's and leicester which don't use ukcat as much. what does the 'selection day' entail?

That is more than safe enough, considering the lowest applicant interviewed last year was 640 I think.
Original post by xxxsbxxx
my ukcat is 767, is getting an interview at southampton a pretty safe bet? I live quite far away so I'm unsure of applying, but my other choices are st george's and leicester which don't use ukcat as much. what does the 'selection day' entail?

Original post by HopelessMedic
I'm probably going to apply here, hopefully a UKCAT of 713 will be enough for an interview.

Original post by Maw1979
im a mature student (37). UKCAT of 650. Not great but not the worst. What's everyone's opinion of my chances of getting an interview?

You all need to decide if you think you have a chance based on the last year or so of stats. I would take the total UKCAT score of your group and divide it by 4 to get the ave (4 sections in last years UKCAT) and see if your score is competitive. Unfortunately no one can give you a more definitive opinion!

So just an update on the 2016 application stats:

Each group applying to BM5 is considered separately. Find the group you belong to to find your stats:

School Leavers (A levels)
No. of places: 126
No. of applicants: 636
Lowest UKCAT interviewed: 2560 (total)No. of interviews: 432
No. of offers: 250
Applicants per offer: 2.5

Graduates applying to the 5 year course

No. of places: 20
No. of applicants: 363
Lowest UKCAT interviewed: 2770 (total)
No. of interviews: 48
No. of offers: 20