The Student Room Group

I hate my halls I want to drop out

I've only been in halls for a week and I hate it so much that I want to drop out. I'm not a party person and do not enjoy going out I would rather stay in and watch movies or read a book. I didn't think this would be a problem but my flatmates are so loud that they are making me miserable I've been getting maybe 2-3 hours of sleep a night.
Take last night for example, they were having pre drinks in the flat and playing music so loud that I could hear it better than my TV despite being at the other end of the corridor. I also had drunk people I didn't know banging on my doors and I started to have an anxiety attack as with every other night. They went out at midnight and I was able to get a couple hours sleep but they came back at haf three in the morning and started screaming and arguing and playing music full blast until 7 in the morning. They were still playing music when I had to be up for uni.

This has been the same night after night. I have chronic fatigue and anxiety therefore sleep is very important to me, even with a full nights sleep I get extremely tired. But I'm too scared to ask my flat mates to keep it down because of my anxiety and I dont think it will make much difference anyway!

Furthermore, they are constantly smoking weed and the smell fills up my bedroom.

I live in private accommodation and I've been told that I can't move to a quieter flat because there are none available.

I'm so miserable I've done more crying than sleeping, my uni is too far away for me to commute I really want to drop out even though I like my course and want to get a degree. But I can't live like this any longer.

Scroll to see replies

Have you explained your full situation to the university?
Original post by jessica1801
I've only been in halls for a week and I hate it so much that I want to drop out. I'm not a party person and do not enjoy going out I would rather stay in and watch movies or read a book. I didn't think this would be a problem but my flatmates are so loud that they are making me miserable I've been getting maybe 2-3 hours of sleep a night.
Take last night for example, they were having pre drinks in the flat and playing music so loud that I could hear it better than my TV despite being at the other end of the corridor. I also had drunk people I didn't know banging on my doors and I started to have an anxiety attack as with every other night. They went out at midnight and I was able to get a couple hours sleep but they came back at haf three in the morning and started screaming and arguing and playing music full blast until 7 in the morning. They were still playing music when I had to be up for uni.

This has been the same night after night. I have chronic fatigue and anxiety therefore sleep is very important to me, even with a full nights sleep I get extremely tired. But I'm too scared to ask my flat mates to keep it down because of my anxiety and I dont think it will make much difference anyway!

Furthermore, they are constantly smoking weed and the smell fills up my bedroom.

I live in private accommodation and I've been told that I can't move to a quieter flat because there are none available.

I'm so miserable I've done more crying than sleeping, my uni is too far away for me to commute I really want to drop out even though I like my course and want to get a degree. But I can't live like this any longer.

Try talking to your Unis accommodation people, or the on site security at your accommodation. They should be sorting out noise complaints anyway and if it is as loud as you say, they'll be annoying any neighbours. Next time it happens give them a ring and say they're being too loud and you can hear them from your flat (making it sound like it isn't you who's complaining can make things less awkward).

I hated my flatmates too in first year. They never tidied up whatsoever or took any bins out so it was left to me. In the end I had to buy food from a local shop and take it to my room and eat there, I rarely went into the kitchen. Best thing I did was move elsewhere this second year.

Go and book an appointment with an advisor at the Uni in the student union.
Get advice on terminating the contract at your current hall.
Seek to find somewhere quieter either priavetly or with the uni or even by yourself.. Inform your tutor as well.

You can claim they are breaching the terms of the contract by the unreasonable behaviour of others. If the manager inst interested then go to the head office and also bring the universiy into it.

It seems extreme to leave uni when its just the accommodation thats at issue.
An advisor can help you sort this out. Do this quickly.
Reply 4
Thank you for the advice everyone. I am not really sure who to talk to at my university but I have an appointment with my personal tutor this thursday and will bring up the problem to her.

I know it sounds severe to want to drop out because of flat mates, but I cannot stay somewhere that makes me so continuously miserable and anxious.
Which Uni is it?

'cause your roommates sound like real winners, being up until it's time for you to get up in the morning, getting blitzed and then (presumably)sleeping all day. Sounds like they aren't going to classes.
Make sure you explain fully to your personal tutor how this is affecting you. Tell her you suffer from chronic fatigue and anxiety. I think you need to be in accommodation with maybe mature students or a specially designated quiet block. Clearly you can't continue as you are, where you are. Hopefully she will be able to help you .
Reply 7
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Which Uni is it?

'cause your roommates sound like real winners, being up until it's time for you to get up in the morning, getting blitzed and then (presumably)sleeping all day. Sounds like they aren't going to classes.

Aston University
Aston University

Well, you could report the drug use, but the odds are nobody is gonna care that a few uni students are lighting up. You could go to Student Support and explain your issue.

At my Uni, they did something called 'Get Ahead' for people with anxiety, mental and physical issues that need to be addressed and helped. Did they do something there? You might have a contact you could explain and they could move you.

Anxiety gets worse without sleep.
Being the first few weeks of term, a lot of people will be dropping out of uni and a lot of places in halls and houses are likely to open up. You can email other providers and look at your uni's accomodation adverts to see if there are places available. Houses especially are likely to be quieter as it's usually not first-years in them. I was in the same position as you (moving in first-year), but in uni-run accomodation, and I was given the opportunity to meet people in the flat I'd be moving into to make sure they were more my type. Perhaps you can ask to do the same.

As for ending your current contract, you must insist to your current provider that the accommodation must be suitable for students to actually study in and get a good night's sleep. If they can't fulfill their end of the bargain by controlling the behaviour of the other students, it's not your fault and you shouldn't have to put up with it.

Best of luck OP, I know how horrible it is to live in a situation like this.

Think about a constructive solution - you shouldn't have to leave your degree because of other people's inconsiderate behaviour, but there might be creative solutions. Have any of them made a friend who would like to move in with them and might do a house swap? A conversation in the kitchen along the lines of 'Look guys, I'm really unhappy living here, I appreciate you are enjoying uni, but the noise and the partying is making my anxiety worse. I wondered if you'd made any friends who might live in a quieter house and might like to swap with me and move in here?', so no blame, presents a solution, puts the ball in their court, but does clearly indicate how you are feeling.
Thank you for the advice everyone. I am not really sure who to talk to at my university but I have an appointment with my personal tutor this thursday and will bring up the problem to her.

I know it sounds severe to want to drop out because of flat mates, but I cannot stay somewhere that makes me so continuously miserable and anxious.

it's very understandable... I wouldn't be able to handle being kept up every night and I don't have CF - talk to someone at the university (including the disability advisor - CF will qualify as a disability, it doesn't matter if you see it as one it's just useful to have all the support in place that is possible)... when speaking to your halls have you disclosed that you have a disability and the situation is making it worse? some halls are helpful and some aren't but it's worth trying that angle as well, perhaps you can get out of the contract if there isn't a room or at least get a promise that the first room that comes up you will get it - people do drop out and other people will disagree with flatmates and want to swap too - you could also put a sign up/facebook post asking if anyone would be interested in a room swap

bear in mind that the constant all night partying does tend to ease off, it'll cut down once freshers finishes and it will continue to drop as the year goes on so try and stick it out a little longer - a solution may come up or the problem might solve itself
Aston University

if nothing works out, try Uni of Birmingham, it’s better. Still tho, talk to staff at your uni
Original post by frankielogue
if nothing works out, try Uni of Birmingham, it’s better. Still tho, talk to staff at your uni

They were my first choice but I didn't get in
Are there any support services at your uni you can talk to? Be worth looking into. Like someone else said, try waiting it out. Alot of people are out partying the first few weeks but it tends to calm down abit, don't let them ruin your future. Even if you did drop out and moved to the halls of another uni, you'd more than likely be in the same position. Regardless of whether or not it was a better uni, alot of young people like to party.
They were my first choice but I didn't get in

peak ok, contact relevant staff in your school.
UPDATE: It did die down after freshers. When I say die down it went from a 10 on a scale of awfulness to an 8. University couldn't help me. Halls don't care. Even went to the extent of calling security on them for smoking weed after they set the smoke alarms off (as much as I hate to be a rat and the weed doesnt bother me as much as the noise I thought it might make them take me more seriously) but alas they still did not care despite the obvious stench of weed when security arrived.

I summoned the courage to ask my flat mate to turn the music down so he turned it up.

Currently spending most of the time in the library as it is too loud to read in my room day or night.

Anxiety levels have been through the roof due to lack of sleep and thus I have made not a single friend at uni. I always found it hard to make friends anyway even though I do try -- I never had any friends at sixth form or work either.

I have been trying to switch rooms but whenever I tell someone why I want to switch they decide they're not interested even the people who are looking to switch from their dead flat to a more eventful one.

I am lonely and depressed and there is nothing I can do. Nobody even wants to buy my contract from me, so I couldn't even drop out if I wanted to.

On the upside my course is really interesting. Although I have little to none motivation already.

I was so excited for university life but I am the saddest I have ever been I just want to go home.

I am sorry I just felt like I needed to get it all out as I am stuck in a hopeless situation and have nobody to talk about it with.
UPDATE: It did die down after freshers. When I say die down it went from a 10 on a scale of awfulness to an 8. University couldn't help me. Halls don't care. Even went to the extent of calling security on them for smoking weed after they set the smoke alarms off (as much as I hate to be a rat and the weed doesnt bother me as much as the noise I thought it might make them take me more seriously) but alas they still did not care despite the obvious stench of weed when security arrived.

I summoned the courage to ask my flat mate to turn the music down so he turned it up.

Currently spending most of the time in the library as it is too loud to read in my room day or night.

Anxiety levels have been through the roof due to lack of sleep and thus I have made not a single friend at uni. I always found it hard to make friends anyway even though I do try -- I never had any friends at sixth form or work either.

I have been trying to switch rooms but whenever I tell someone why I want to switch they decide they're not interested even the people who are looking to switch from their dead flat to a more eventful one.

I am lonely and depressed and there is nothing I can do. Nobody even wants to buy my contract from me, so I couldn't even drop out if I wanted to.

On the upside my course is really interesting. Although I have little to none motivation already.

I was so excited for university life but I am the saddest I have ever been I just want to go home.

I am sorry I just felt like I needed to get it all out as I am stuck in a hopeless situation and have nobody to talk about it with.

Hi Jessica

feel free to PM me about it. Is your accommodation with Aston?

Is your course interesting enough you want to stay or you would rather take a gap (resit and retry for Birmingham) and leave?
Reply 18
I am sorry this happened to you.it will die down after party season dies down.Or move out for a while.Report to student union.Come in its only 11 days since you started.You cannot quit this early🕴
Get some foam earplugs from any chemist.
Quitting so early, and for the sake of a bunch of losers, is unnecessary, especially as you like the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending