The Student Room Group

What age do you want to get married?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
is it true that women typically want to get married at an earlier age than men? if so, could any speculate as to why that might be?
Never. Tremendous waste of time and resources. You don't need to get married to know you love each other.
Original post by Ruyshi
is it true that women typically want to get married at an earlier age than men? if so, could any speculate as to why that might be?

Yeah, women are taught from an early age that their wedding day is gonna be the greatest day of their lives.
I'm 19 now and engaged, we'll probably be married next summer.
Reply 164
Original post by 97Y
I don't want children and don't associate marriage with the urge to get pregnant and never do anything ever again. You can get married at 23 and still travel - either together or alone. Marriage isn't giving up your life for someone else, it's just sharing the life that you've planned for yourself WITH someone else.

That's nice :smile: at the moment I don't want to share my life with someone else!
Reply 165
Original post by cbreef
Yeah, women are taught from an early age that their wedding day is gonna be the greatest day of their lives.

In my family that isn't the case, it's quite the oppposite hence my parents wanting me to delay marriage for now lol!
Original post by Ishax
In my family that isn't the case, it's quite the oppposite hence my parents wanting me to delay marriage for now lol!

Are you religious?
Some people my age are already married :erm:

I want to get married at 26 :h:
Reply 168
Original post by cbreef
Are you religious?

Yes, were a family of Sikhs. It's usually daughters who move out and live with their husbands, I'm a female and hence why they want to delay marriage. One of the reasons is so I can spend more time with my family etc :smile:

My aunt got married at 29/30.
Reply 169
Original post by Serine Soul

How old are you?

I know right, I'm only 21 and people 1/2 years older than me are getting married. One girl got married at 20 😳 .. Some even have children lol!

I wouldn't mind getting married at 26 though :smile:

When you find the right person, you find the right person. At the end of the day the age you find it doesn't matter. I don't know how old you are but there are people who married young and have been together for a really long time, sometimes it doesn't work out but the point is that you can't live your life thinking "now isn't the time" because before you know it you'll be 40 and going through some existential crisis because in all the time you've been alive you haven't actually done anything and its now too late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ishax
How old are you?

I know right, I'm only 21 and people 1/2 years older than me are getting married. One girl got married at 20 😳 .. Some even have children lol!

I wouldn't mind getting married at 26 though :smile:

18 Lmaoo
Original post by Lime-man
When you find the right person, you find the right person. At the end of the day the age you find it doesn't matter. I don't know how old you are but there are people who married young and have been together for a really long time, sometimes it doesn't work out but the point is that you can't live your life thinking "now isn't the time" because before you know it you'll be 40 and going through some existential crisis because in all the time you've been alive you haven't actually done anything and its now too late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess but the idea of tying myself down so young doesn't sound great
18 Lmaoo
I guess but the idea of tying myself down so young doesn't sound great

Perhaps that's because you're seeing it as tying yourself down. After meeting my fiancé the opposite happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile
28/29*
Reply 174
Original post by Anonymous
28/29*

Same :smile:
Original post by Ishax
At the end of the day, there is no need to mention what type of house you live in as it's irrelevant to this thread. There are a lot of things that come with marriage and a sort of that is paying bills in terms of mortgage which is what I was referring to.

By getting married early I will miss out on my 20's as I plan on working on my career and going travelling etc. I want to be financially stable before I settle down and before that I have stuff I want to accomplish. My personal goals if you'd like.

Not sure why you've mentioned the former in responding to me, as I've not made any mention of the house I live in. But on that subject, you don't have to have a mortgage once you're married; a huge number of married people still rent; not everyone has the choice to buy. And unmarried couples living together also have bills and rent/mortgage to pay - not really seeing why marriage is the obstacle here?

I find it strange that you think you 'miss out on' your 20s as a married person. My husband and I have worked on our careers and travelled pretty extensively (sometimes with each other, sometimes alone/with other friends) both before and after we were married. You don't have to do everything together if you're married, for goodness' sake. I just think it's weird to see being married as a barrier to doing normal things that married people everywhere are doing every day.*:confused:
After reading The Beautiful and Damned, never. :afraid:
Reply 177
Original post by *pitseleh*
Not sure why you've mentioned the former in responding to me, as I've not made any mention of the house I live in. But on that subject, you don't have to have a mortgage once you're married; a huge number of married people still rent; not everyone has the choice to buy. And unmarried couples living together also have bills and rent/mortgage to pay - not really seeing why marriage is the obstacle here?

I find it strange that you think you 'miss out on' your 20s as a married person. My husband and I have worked on our careers and travelled pretty extensively (sometimes with each other, sometimes alone/with other friends) both before and after we were married. You don't have to do everything together if you're married, for goodness' sake. I just think it's weird to see being married as a barrier to doing normal things that married people everywhere are doing every day.*:confused:

I don't want to live in a rented house, I want my own house with my own mortgage with my husband. Marriage isn't an obstacle, it's about financial stability as I've mentioned before.

I want to finish my degree, get my masters and be young (carefree). I want to build my career. Like I said, I don't want to get married and share my life with someone else. I want to do things my own way and ideally get married at 28. You want to travel with your husband, that's fine but at the moment I don't want to. I want to things for myself and be selfish.
Reply 178
I'm not fussed about marriage - I have been with my partner for 5 years and always said I wanted to get engaged but not married.
Original post by Eugenie Grandet
Exactly! If you want to do a massive extravaganza wedding that costs about £30,000 then sure, you probably need to have a high income in order to pay. But my partner and I just want to do a simple wedding, registry office with two witnesses and then have a party with friends/family afterwards. I bet I shall wear the same dress I wore to my graduation.

Yes, quite!*We had a moderately expensive wedding (a bit over half of the national average.. but when the national average is more than £20k, even half of that is still expensive). Our priorities were good food, lots of free alcohol and a great party, and we got exactly what we wanted. But... we worked, saved and went without other stuff to afford it. If someone wants to spend £30k, that's their prerogative, just as if someone who wants to spend £30, that's theirs. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending