The Student Room Group

2nd year access course and pregnant but still want to go to uni next year

Hi everyone.

I finish my access course next year and plan to go to uni in Sept.

Im married and have children already but decided we would have one more baby before i study for my dream job.

This baby is very much wanted and planned.

I have not told my college tutors yet but i know I will get the support.

I would just like to know if anybody has been in my situation and will uni still accept me if im pregnant at the uni interview?

My baby will be 6 months by the time i actually. start uni.

Thank you in advance

Scroll to see replies

How do you plan to study full time whilsr bringing up a child?
Reply 2
Exactly the same way I do now, I have huge support from my family. My husbands job is flexible and my in laws have taken early retirement and love looking after their grandchildren. I also have my own mother who Is also there is I needed her help.

I wont be the first parent to go to university whilst bringing up children
All universities should have an equal opportunities policy which would require them to interview you and consider your application as though you were any other student!

For example, this is an excerpt from Cambridge University's Equality and Diversity Statement...

"In relation to the University, the Equality Act prohibits discrimination because of pregnancy and maternity in employment, education and in the provision of goods and services. This means, for example, that an applicant who wishes to study at the University should not be excluded from admittance because she is pregnant or has recently given birth. Similarly, a woman who is pregnant should not be demoted or overlooked for training or promotion because of her pregnancy."

:smile:
Reply 4
How will she manage to do it while bringing up a child? The same way other parents manage obviously, what about if this was a father? Would you say the same to them?
Jojo86 I think you'll be fine, if you feel you don't want to wait and you have the support then go for it? Plenty of mothers go back to work when their children are 6 months old so just treat it as a full time job. Good luck!
I had a baby in the second year of my degree and only took a month off after the birth, and I'm a single mum, so ask me anything you need to :-)
Reply 6
Original post by *Milky*Way*
All universities should have an equal opportunities policy which would require them to interview you and consider your application as though you were any other student!

For example, this is an excerpt from Cambridge University's Equality and Diversity Statement...

"In relation to the University, the Equality Act prohibits discrimination because of pregnancy and maternity in employment, education and in the provision of goods and services. This means, for example, that an applicant who wishes to study at the University should not be excluded from admittance because she is pregnant or has recently given birth. Similarly, a woman who is pregnant should not be demoted or overlooked for training or promotion because of her pregnancy."

:smile:

Good point 👍 It would be illegal for them to discriminate against you.
Original post by jojo86
Hi everyone.

I finish my access course next year and plan to go to uni in Sept.

Im married and have children already but decided we would have one more baby before i study for my dream job.

This baby is very much wanted and planned.

I have not told my college tutors yet but i know I will get the support.

I would just like to know if anybody has been in my situation and will uni still accept me if im pregnant at the uni interview?

My baby will be 6 months by the time i actually. start uni.

Thank you in advance

Yes you will be fine. When researching your unis be sure to appraise yourself of the childcare facilities. If you have a family, then is it likely you wish to go to your local uni? In that case you could contact them now and get an idea of what support they are able to offer.

As you already have children, then you know the demands. I think its only practical and how well organised you are. Will you have a car? Will you have someone to look after the child as a back up? Will you need to use the creche?

Yes you will be fine. I cnat see them being concerned at all about it. If the issue arises, then you can impress them with how well you have thought it out and the fact you have researched the above so that you know your studies will not be afected. Plenty of mums do uni. As far as I can see you need to find somewhere for th child:

Lectures
Tutorials

Anything else is your own time and cope as you are now to get your work in.
Reply 8
At university you should get parental and childcare grant I think, you could use that for Nursery/Childminder whilst you're at university. You're unlikely to be in everyday, you'll get given a timetable etc. The earliest you will start is 9 and finish 6 (at my university, but I haven't known any later finishes).

You'll be fine, it will be stressful and hard work but in the end it'll be worth it.

Here's the link:
I'm assuming you're eligible for student finance, so you should be able to get childcare grant. You will have to fill out a form and do it through student finance.

https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant/overview
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Gemamasi
How will she manage to do it while bringing up a child? The same way other parents manage obviously, what about if this was a father? Would you say the same to them?
Jojo86 I think you'll be fine, if you feel you don't want to wait and you have the support then go for it? Plenty of mothers go back to work when their children are 6 months old so just treat it as a full time job. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply, When I read the first reply I had a horrible feeling I was going to get lots of negative comments.

If I don't go to uni then I will have to get a job so its not the case where I can just stay at home and be with my child every day. So like you say it will be like having a full time job.
Reply 10
Original post by Anna.Karenina
I had a baby in the second year of my degree and only took a month off after the birth, and I'm a single mum, so ask me anything you need to :-)

Wow, this is amazing so well done you. I have been feeling guilty about potentially leaving my baby at 6 months and going to uni.

I mean will I literally be away 9 - 5? I know there will be lots of work and studying to do, at the moment I tend to do my work in the evening when my husband is home and I know I can concentrate.

What course are you doing?
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
Yes you will be fine. When researching your unis be sure to appraise yourself of the childcare facilities. If you have a family, then is it likely you wish to go to your local uni? In that case you could contact them now and get an idea of what support they are able to offer.

As you already have children, then you know the demands. I think its only practical and how well organised you are. Will you have a car? Will you have someone to look after the child as a back up? Will you need to use the creche?

Yes you will be fine. I cnat see them being concerned at all about it. If the issue arises, then you can impress them with how well you have thought it out and the fact you have researched the above so that you know your studies will not be afected. Plenty of mums do uni. As far as I can see you need to find somewhere for th child:

Lectures
Tutorials

Anything else is your own time and cope as you are now to get your work in.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I would like to go to a local uni, I am going to take your advice and ring them today.

I drive and so does my husband, we both have a car- so transport shouldn't be an issue.

If my organised childcare for that day is unavailable for some reason, then this is the time that my husband would use his job flexibility and take a day off. He can do this pretty much last minute.

I'm just worried, I go for the interview and they only see my bump.
Reply 12
Original post by jojo86
Thank you for your reply, When I read the first reply I had a horrible feeling I was going to get lots of negative comments.

If I don't go to uni then I will have to get a job so its not the case where I can just stay at home and be with my child every day. So like you say it will be like having a full time job.

Precisely. I start uni tomorrow 😳 and that is what i will be doing. Honestly I think with the right support then you'll be just fine, if you want to do it you will.
Reply 13
Original post by Ishax
At university you should get parental and childcare grant I think, you could use that for Nursery/Childminder whilst you're at university. You're unlikely to be in everyday, you'll get given a timetable etc. The earliest you will start is 9 and finish 6 (at my university, but I haven't known any later finishes).

You'll be fine, it will be stressful and hard work but in the end it'll be worth it.

Here's the link:
I'm assuming you're eligible for student finance, so you should be able to get childcare grant. You will have to fill out a form and do it through student finance.

https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant/overview

Thank you, I am expecting it to be hard and very stressful but like you say, it will be worth it.

Thank you for going out your way to post the link, much appreciated.
Reply 14
Mature students are desired by universities because they are already used to working hard and being responsible, plus they are making a conscious decision. A mature student *really* wants a degree. Part of accepting mature students is knowing that they may already have children.

Honestly, you will be fine. You already know how to juggle life and your children. You can do this, and you will be viewed on your results and aptitude, not your parental status.
Original post by jojo86
Thank you, I am expecting it to be hard and very stressful but like you say, it will be worth it.

Thank you for going out your way to post the link, much appreciated.

Don't worry about it, it's fine!

Remember it's only for 3 years and usually you'll be done around May/June dependent on exams. You can always submit coursework online so it's not as bad. My lectures finish in April then it's coursework/exam season in May/June. In the summer you can spend time with your children, usually you don't go back until October anyway :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Gemamasi
Precisely. I start uni tomorrow 😳 and that is what i will be doing. Honestly I think with the right support then you'll be just fine, if you want to do it you will.

How exciting for tomorrow! I hope you have a great day and good luck to you :smile:
Original post by jojo86
Thank you for your reply.

Yes I would like to go to a local uni, I am going to take your advice and ring them today.

I drive and so does my husband, we both have a car- so transport shouldn't be an issue.

If my organised childcare for that day is unavailable for some reason, then this is the time that my husband would use his job flexibility and take a day off. He can do this pretty much last minute.

Nope you will be fine.

You know the uni, so go and have a look at their childcare facilities and creche. You cna talk to the people in charge. It will all be on theri website.

Unis will have an equality policy plus they will ahve deal with this before, so wont bat an eyelid. If you are nervous about it (they might not even call you in for interview and it might all be from your application) then raise it in any interview, but poit out you have already know how to look after a child and will be able to organise things so it wont affect your studies. You cna point out you have done this throughout your access course.

Dont worry you will be fine.
Reply 18
Original post by jojo86

They're highly unlikely to interview you for an undergrad degree - there are far too many candidates for that. They'll just go on your UCAS application.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Klix88
They're highly unlikely to interview you for an undergrad degree - there are far too many candidates for that. They'll just go on your UCAS application.

I will be applying to do a social work degree and I've been told that these do require interviews as part of the process?

Hopefully you might be right though.

Quick Reply

Latest