The Student Room Group

student finance won't pay 1st yr tuition pls help

My son started his uni course yesterday but is worried that he may have to return home as student finance will not pay his 1st year tuition fees they said that year 2 and 3 they will pay so I'm really confused when my son left 6th form he was unable to originally go on this course he is now on due to not enough u can points so as he didn't want to take a year of he started at college he is statemented but on his first year at college he was not so we managed to get him statemented but the college was not very helpful with him. He didn't do well enough to pass his first year so was told by the college that he could not return until Feb last year. in this time student finance stopped paying him his loans and asked for him to pay them back. as I'm on very low income I couldn't afford for him to travel so he was unable to return all the time. He had applied for uni and was pleased to get an invite to join them he is living up at the uni as it's to far to travel every day student finance have excepted him for loans but not first year tuition he has been on the phone to them for most of July and August but with no luck his last chance was to speak to the uni and ask them if they could set up a payment plan as he is quite willing to pay this year to them his self. But they have told him no and they need 4500 for him to stay on the course I was wondering why student finance won't pay for this year as he is paying them back monthly for money they said he owes I'm at the end of my teather and feel bad as i can not do much for him he is serverly dyslexic and dyspraxic and needs help with paper work and forms. it seems no one wants to help him and as I live to far away to be able to pop in the uni and speak with them it's like no one wants to help him. I really don't know what else I can do
(edited 7 years ago)
What is "staremented"?

Ive read your post twice and its difficult to get a grasp on whats going on.

Students get funding for course length +1 grace year in case they are seriously ill, fail or change their minds.

The normal reason for SFE to say they will pay only years 2 and 3 is because two years finance have already been used up somewhere else already. That would mean your son or anyone in that situation is required to cover the first year.

It seems like you are making little progress with SFE, so maybe get some assistance from an advisor at the Uni or the disability team there, as they will know the system better and can find out the reasons why they have decided he is ineligible for funding this year. It may be soemthing to do with funding they think he has already received. They can make the phone call whilst your son is sat with them.

Repost your query here and someone form SFE might be kind enough to pick it up for you if they visit the forums.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910
Reply 2
Original post by beccaward
in this time student finance stopped paying him his loans and asked for him to pay them back
I was wondering why student finance won't pay for this year as he is paying them back monthly for money they said he owes

I think the above statements might be the crucial ones. Your son has kept/spent Student Finance loans to which he wasn't entitled, as he left early. He was unable to repay it immediately and so is making small monthly repayments.

My guess is that his Student Finance entitlement is being affected because he still owes Student Finance money. In this situation, Student Finance can decide on a case-by-case basis, whether they are going to lend more money or not.

However, this is just a guess. *As tigger suggested above, his uni's Student Support department should be able to help further. Also, he should consider applying for Disabled Students Allowance, so he can get extra support for problems caused by his dyslexia and dyspraxia.
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88
I think the above statements might be the crucial ones. Your son has kept/spent Student Finance loans to which he wasn't entitled, as he left early. He was unable to repay it immediately and so is making small monthly repayments.

My guess is that his Student Finance entitlement is being affected because he still owes Student Finance money. In this situation, Student Finance can decide on a case-by-case basis, whether they are going to lend more money or not.

However, this is just a guess. *As tigger suggested above, his uni's Student Support department should be able to help further. Also, he should consider applying for Disabled Students Allowance, so he can get extra support for problems caused by his dyslexia and dyspraxia.

He is still getting loans from student finance bit to do that he has to pay 4500 tuition fees before they will give it to him that's all they won't pay for is this first years tuition
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
What is "staremented"?
/QUOTE]

Statemented is where a student has special needs, and they get a statement saying what their needs are. It's usually for learning disabilities, and is usually for students with major difficulties rather than minor ones.

It's irrelevant here. If anything, it shows that the parent /guardian needs to take responsibility for allowing this to happen as they should have been more watchful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending