The Student Room Group

Dropped out

I just dropped out of Uni, I chose not to continue, what things to I need to do immeadiately?
Who do I need to notify? Student loans company? Local council? Do I have to sign on immediately?
Please help I have no idea what to do I dont want to get in any trouble or incure fines
Reply 1
Original post by pkrange
I just dropped out of Uni, I chose not to continue, what things to I need to do immeadiately?
Who do I need to notify? Student loans company? Local council? Do I have to sign on immediately?
Please help I have no idea what to do I dont want to get in any trouble or incure fines

You need to make sure that you have told your uni and signed any appropriate forms.
You need to tell the SLC and arrange to pay back any loans you have received.
You need to tell your accommodation provider - read your contract to see what it says about cancelling.
If you took out a student bank account, you need to tell the bank and get that changed to a standard account.
You can sign on for JSA whenever you like. Generally, there's a waiting period before you get any money, so the earlier you tell them the earlier you will be paid. However, you'll need to have fully dropped out before you can apply for JSA.
Reply 2
Do I need to tell SLC even if I dont have a job?
Reply 3
Your billing dept. and the SLC so you dont get billed more than you should [if at all].
Your bank will want to know if you're on a student account
Personally i'd avoid telling the council but i imagine its advised lest they send in their jackbooted thugs
depending on where you live the accomodation/land lord may need to know
The dole office of course
Reply 4
Original post by pkrange
Do I need to tell SLC even if I dont have a job?

Yes. You need to arrange repayments if you have received any loan already, and you also need to tell them not to pay any future installments.
Reply 5
Original post by Napp

Personally i'd avoid telling the council but i imagine its advised lest they send in their jackbooted thugs

Why are we telling the council, and why would they send thugs if we didn't?
Reply 6
Original post by Juno
Why are we telling the council, and why would they send thugs if we didn't?

In relation to council tax, you're only excempt whilst a student and they're rather like little Hitlers when it comes to people not paying if they should.
Reply 7
Original post by Juno
Yes. You need to arrange repayments if you have received any loan already, and you also need to tell them not to pay any future installments.

I didnt take nothing this year, didn't even apply this year, just straight dropped out, do I still have to tell them? I dont see how I need to arrange repayment when I dont have a job
Reply 8
Original post by pkrange
I didnt take nothing this year, didn't even apply this year, just straight dropped out, do I still have to tell them? I dont see how I need to arrange repayment when I dont have a job

If you had a loan this year (for tuition fees or maintenance) then you would need to repay that straight away if you drop out this early. If you didn't get a loan this year then there's nothing to repay at this point.

Not having a job is irrelevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending