The Student Room Group

Should I mention my work experience in my personal statement?

I'm applying for maths but my work experience was engineering so is it worthwhile including it?
If there are relevant things to talk about that show your academic interest in the subject (maybe application of maths) then go for it.
Reply 2
If you really want to, go ahead. If you're applying for Maths, which is academic, then you may read back over your PS and find it a little irrelevant.

Although if you're also apply for other degrees, such as Economics, then it is worth including any commercial experience if you can make it appropriate.
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
If there are relevant things to talk about that show your academic interest in the subject (maybe application of maths) then go for it.

That's the main issue, there wasn't really anything maths-based
Original post by BurdMan
That's the main issue, there wasn't really anything maths-based

If there's really nothing at all relevant, it would maybe be something interesting to put into the roughly 20-25% of your PS that's the 'extra-curricular' bit, regardless?
I also had engineering-based work experience and I got my teacher to put it in my reference.
Reply 6
If it has no relevance at all to maths, then it will be of no interest to the admissions tutors except as something to ask you about informally to put you at your ease.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending