The Student Room Group

Is it fun/safe to go clubbing alone?

I'm an international student and new here so I don't have anyone to enjoy fresher's events with. And since I'm a girl and want to drink, obviously I prefer someone to be looking out for me. Anyways just wondering if anyone has went alone before and how's the experience?

Scroll to see replies

Not fun alone.

Definitely not safe in Leeds.
Reply 2
Bad idea i would say.
Horrible idea, isn't there anyone who you can go with? Flatmates? Society mates?
Alright I won't go, thanks for the replies

@Iceman I'm renting a private accommodation so I don't have any flatmates, and there is one society I joined but I was too shy so I didn't make any friends lol :c plus they're not exactly the clubbing type
Reply 5
I would say it depends on which city you are in and how familiar you are with drunkeness on the streets late at night - whether here in the UK or elsewhere. As a female UK national I feel quite comfortable going out alone although I think most women prefer not to, purely because they find it more fun with friends.
If you wish to attend Fresher's events on your campus rather than in a town centre I would say you're probably safe whereas in town centres if you're not used to drunkeness on the streets and how to avoid worrying situations then you might want to wait until you've got someone to go out with. But, remember, everyone's a Fresher and everyone's going to the events, especially on campus, not knowing anyone so you won't be alone in that. That's the idea behind them!
Have fun! :-)
Not safe, probably not fun. Wait until you've made some friends then give it a go, you'll enjoy it more then.
Original post by Dana28437329804
I'm an international student and new here so I don't have anyone to enjoy fresher's events with. And since I'm a girl and want to drink, obviously I prefer someone to be looking out for me. Anyways just wondering if anyone has went alone before and how's the experience?

Agreed with those saying it isn't fun, people generally tend to think its a bit weird too going on your own.
I did it in spain, it was a blast! Made new friends to boot :smile: But I feel it depends on how confident you are in speaking to people/getting around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
I did it in spain, it was a blast! Made new friends to boot :smile: But I feel it depends on how confident you are in speaking to people/getting around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gosh, I thought Spain had a problem against Black people!

This is interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asmuse123
Gosh, I thought Spain had a problem against Black people!

This is interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, not my experience at all.

They're all super lovely, and I even managed to: form a mini squad for the night, get a kiss and slow dance, without speaking even a lick of the language.

Would recommend to anyone, as long as they're conscious of what they're doing and show confidence.

FYI, Spaniards know how to get TURNT, I was there til 7am looooool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah, not my experience at all.

They're all super lovely, and I even managed to: form a mini squad for the night, get a kiss and slow dance, without speaking even a lick of the language.

Would recommend to anyone, as long as they're conscious of what they're doing and show confidence.

FYI, Spaniards know how to get TURNT, I was there til 7am looooool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you speak some Spanish?

Posted from TSR Mobile
doesn't sound like a great idea going alone, but I'm sure you can make some friends who will go with you beforehand
Original post by asmuse123
Do you speak some Spanish?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like really simple stuff, not enough to piece together a long convo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Like really simple stuff, not enough to piece together a long convo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, that's OK.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. It's been an eye-opener.

Posted from TSR Mobile
have you started your course? sit down next to someone and ask if anyone is going out tonight as your accommodation is super quiet and you'd like to go out and have fun - people are generally open to meeting anyone during freshers

there's also likely to be other people in your halls wanting to go out - is there a FB page or anything you can post on and ask if anyone wants to come and pre drink at yours?

as for going alone, if you're very outgoing you might be able to start talking to people and have fun but I think it's likely to not be great - better to make some effort to find people to go with
Fun: Maybe

Safe: Probably not

I mean think about it: you're a girl, young, drunk and most importantly: NO ONE'S LOOKING OUT FOR YOU

If you get too drunk and lose control then there's gonna be some guys ready to snatch you up.
Original post by Dana28437329804

Hello :smile:,

If you are heading to Freshers Events on the University campus or run by the SU, I'd say it isn't 'too bad'. You could go and make friends, as long as you keep your sense about you, never let anyone buy you a drink and always keep your drinks close to you.

If you are just thinking of heading to clubs in general on your own and into the city, I'd say no!

Up to you at the end of the day though.
Good luck :smile:
A suggestion, post in a group and ask if anyone's willing to adopt you for the night.
A bit far-reaching but it may be a good way to find a group!
Reply 19
so long as you're sensible it should be mostly safe, better with people though.
As for enjoyment.. better with people definitely but then again drunk people make friends easily.

Quick Reply

Latest