The Student Room Group

I cant afford the application fee, for sixth form.

I really wanted to apply to westminister school,but i cant afford the £170 fee and i want to apply for a bursary :frown:. And my mom says we cant afford the fee, and i feel so devastated and i dont know what to do. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't apply there, it's not worth the £170.
Original post by Ishax
Don't apply there, it's not worth the £170.

The school is worth applying to, i went to the open evening and its one of the best schools in england.
Original post by Anonymous1502
The school is worth applying to, i went to the open evening and its one of the best schools in england.

See if there are any waivers of the fee for people with limited incomes. Sounds like you would need a full brusary anyway.
Registrar for 13+ and 16++44 (0)20 7963 1003[email protected]
School Fees+44 (0)20 7963 1031
Bursar+44 (0)20 7963 1028[email protected]
(edited 7 years ago)
Nit sure you would apply for a bursary before you get an offer. Thats what you need to focus on first.
Sorry to be harsh, but there's a lot of things that I want that I can't afford that would improve the quality of my life immensely.
I really wanted to apply to westminister school,but i cant afford the £170 fee and i want to apply for a bursary :frown:. And my mom says we cant afford the fee, and i feel so devastated and i dont know what to do. :frown:

There's another school round the corner from Westminister called Harris Westminister. It's apparently good and has links with Westminister. It is pretty selective but there are no fees.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MissChameleon
There's another school round the corner from Westminister called Harris Westminister. It's apparently good and has links with Westminister. It is pretty selective but there are no fees.

I heard of that school,but i'm really set on trying to go to westminster school as westminster harris a level results are nowhere near as good as Westminster's a level results.
Reply 8
Why does a Sixth Form have an application fee? :s-smilie: Is it private?
I heard of that school,but i'm really set on trying to go to westminster school as westminster harris a level results are nowhere near as good as Westminster's a level results.

If it's any consolation, A level results are really what you make of them - it's mostly about independent study, particularly for the exams. The quality of teaching does have an impact, but there's nothing stopping you from doing well even with relatively bad teaching; for example, at the (average) sixth form I went to, one student got 5 A*s at A level and another got 3 A*s. Anecdotes may not seem too welcoming at the moment, but my point is that if you don't get into Westminster, your A level grades can end up the same as if you went if you put the effort in.

If you really can't afford it why don't you try a grammar school instead? There are plenty like Tiffin s (girls or boys) and Latymer. Tiffins have amazing a level results with the Tiffin Girls achieving 76.2% of all a level grades A*-A.
If you really can't afford it why don't you try a grammar school instead? There are plenty like Tiffin s (girls or boys) and Latymer. Tiffins have amazing a level results with the Tiffin Girls achieving 76.2% of all a level grades A*-A.

I am going to apply to grammar schools, but my selection is quite limited as most grammar schools are quite far away. I'm applying to henrietta barnet,tiffins girls,st olaves and for latymer im not sure if they will accept me as i dont live in the catchment area. But i want to go to westminster the most, but i doubt if i could get in as its so competitive and the application fee and its really hard to get in also.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
If it's any consolation, A level results are really what you make of them - it's mostly about independent study, particularly for the exams. The quality of teaching does have an impact, but there's nothing stopping you from doing well even with relatively bad teaching; for example, at the (average) sixth form I went to, one student got 5 A*s at A level and another got 3 A*s. Anecdotes may not seem too welcoming at the moment, but my point is that if you don't get into Westminster, your A level grades can end up the same as if you went if you put the effort in.

A level results is not the only thing, i like the environment of the school, the atmosphere, the opportunities it offers me,the support i would gain and so much more. My school limits me and does not push me hard enough and does not see my potential and spends there time disciplining people who cant behave and the teaching in maths and science which i want to do for a level is not that good, as its a humanities school and other public schools in my school are even worse than my current school the only other option for me is applying to a grammar school.
I am going to apply to grammar schools, but my selection is quite limited as most grammar schools are quite far away. I'm applying to henrietta barnet,tiffins girls,st olaves and for latymer im not sure if they will accept me as i dont live in the catchment area. But i want to go to westminster the most, but i doubt if i could get in as its so competitive and the application fee and its really hard to get in also.

I'm also applying for henrietta barnet, tiffins and possibly latymer. Have you been to Holland Park open day? I recommend applying there as well despite it not being a grammar school it obtains great results.
Original post by abc:)
Why does a Sixth Form have an application fee? :s-smilie: Is it private?

Its a fee paying school presumably its to pay for the admin and making sure its only those who are serious that apply.
Reply 15
Original post by 999tigger
Its a fee paying school presumably its to pay for the admin and making sure its only those who are serious that apply.

But then how will OP pay the fees if they can't afford the application fee...
A level results is not the only thing, i like the environment of the school, the atmosphere, the opportunities it offers me,the support i would gain and so much more. My school limits me and does not push me hard enough and does not see my potential and spends there time disciplining people who cant behave and the teaching in maths and science which i want to do for a level is not that good, as its a humanities school and other public schools in my school are even worse than my current school the only other option for me is applying to a grammar school.

Without sounding too harsh, if you can't motivate yourself for a-levels then you're not going to go very far.

Sure, look for a more science-focused school, but no single sixth form is going to make it or break it for you.
Original post by abc:)
But then how will OP pay the fees if they can't afford the application fee...

Presumably they will apply for a bursary.
Reply 18
Original post by loperdoper
Without sounding too harsh, if you can't motivate yourself for a-levels then you're not going to go very far.

Sure, look for a more science-focused school, but no single sixth form is going to make it or break it for you.

So harsh and also exaggerated. The teacher and quality of teaching makes all the difference. For GCSE Biology and English I got A and A. Both good teachers. At A-level I got D and A*, respectively. The A* also included full marks in the final exam. This was because my Biology teacher was awful but my English teacher was incredible.

It's important that a college or school motivates you. It doesn't mean they're holding your hand, it means they're doing their job and, in turn, it allows you to self-motivate and to succeed. Between the ages of 16 and 18, you're a child - if you are at a school which doesn't motivate you and you fall down because of it, that doesn't make you a failure at all and you can still go far in the right environment.

The same goes for when you are an adult and you work - if you have a terrible boss who doesn't motivate the team or motivate you, you cannot be blamed for not doing as well as you would at a better company, with a better boss.
I'm also applying for henrietta barnet, tiffins and possibly latymer. Have you been to Holland Park open day? I recommend applying there as well despite it not being a grammar school it obtains great results.

I know someone who goes to holland park and the maths and science teachers are not that good and there are quite a lot of badly behaved students. The teaching is okay, and they offer support but i dont think its a school for me, as there is limited extra curriculum for sixth formers and no societies, and this year they sent no students to oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending