The Student Room Group

Reasonable degrees to take?

I've been interested in jobs with a medical background my whole life. I had always wanted to be a vet, but later on in my life it kinda shifted towards developing and testing medicines. I have found out what I want to be; a pharmaceutical scientist. Would it be better for me to study medicine or biomedical science at university?
Reply 1
Apply for Medicine, if you don't get in do Biomedical Science.
Reply 2
Pharmaceuticals would point you in the direction of Pharmacy and/or Pharmacology, not Medicine.

It's no less competitive but a completely different approach to applications and work experience. Head over to the Pharmacy area on TSR for some help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Mimir
Pharmaceuticals would point you in the direction of Pharmacy and/or Pharmacology, not Medicine.

It's no less competitive but a completely different approach to applications and work experience. Head over to the Pharmacy area on TSR for some help :smile:

Thanks! I'm only in year 11 and every resource I've looked at has said to go for either biomedical sciences or medicine. Honestly though, I wouldn't mind doing anything of the kind. I'm so nerdy when it comes to that kind of thing, I'm so interested. :h: Anything that will lead me to that kind of job, I don't mind doing. I just really want to work in a lab. :blah: I could gush forever lol
Reply 4
Original post by Abbie131
Thanks! I'm only in year 11 and every resource I've looked at has said to go for either biomedical sciences or medicine. Honestly though, I wouldn't mind doing anything of the kind. I'm so nerdy when it comes to that kind of thing, I'm so interested. :h: Anything that will lead me to that kind of job, I don't mind doing. I just really want to work in a lab. :blah: I could gush forever lol

Then it sounds like Pharmacology, not Pharmacy, is for you!

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2016/00634/bsc-pharmacology/

I'd say THIS would be the biggest unit attraction for you, I loved doing it: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2016/00634/bsc-pharmacology/course-details/BIOL31661#course-unit-details
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending