The Student Room Group

Lemur's Year 11 GYG Journey

:party:Hello, and welcome to my year 11 GYGs thread.:party:
[scroll]Update schedule: Tuesday, Thursday :smile:[/scroll]
Here is my year 10 GYGs thread.
Current Grades

Spoiler

My best subjects are maths, chemistry, computing and history. My favourites are maths, computing and history although I do love chemistry as well. My weakest subjects is biology. Biology is mostly the fact that we had supply while covering B1 and a rubbish teacher covering B2.

Sets
Maths - set 1
English - set 1b (1 is the top sets)
Sciences - set 1b (1 means doing triple science, b means set 2)

Exam Boards

Spoiler

School Current Predicted Grade / My Target Grade

Spoiler

Other notes:

Spoiler

:qed:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

A post with lots of inspirational year 11s and their GYGs threads...
Thanks JT :biggrin: @JTran38
If you are in year 11, then I really recommend joining the year 11 thread. If you would like you can also join us in our group here
Year 11 thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4261768

GYG threads:
JT's GYG thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4294116&p=67341264
Matt's GYG thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4297860&p=67379596
George's GYG thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4222748
Umar's GYG thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4294238&p=67342764
Kaira's GYG thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4293838
(edited 5 years ago)
Evaluation of my Summer...
(edited 7 years ago)
What is to come...(The Plan)
(edited 7 years ago)
Update 6/9/16 (attempt 4 to get this to post :frown:)

Unfortunately I still have the same form teacher :frown: I was expecting this but was hoping not to. So now I have to put up with a teacher who shouts for no reason, is late 4 days out of 5, is patronising and treats us like 6 year olds for another year.

My new history teacher seems to be good. We're starting our controlled assessment but she actually spent the time going round looking at our summer homework etc. which even our previous teacher (who was amazing) kept forgetting.

In electronics we're getting close to doing our practical controlled assessment rather than the theory :smile: Parts ordered have arrived, so we just have to complete the design phase before we can do the circuit boards :smile:

Started P3 in Physics, not terribly interesting but it's good to get started on it.

Update 8/9/16

In computing we now have the deadline of 30/9/16 for the traditional scenario. It's not long, but hopefully with some after school sessions I should be able to do it. I got 33/63 (C) when he marked it with the 36 marker barely started so I should be able to pull that up to the 54 minimum I need for an A* (Actually, now I've written that I'm quite worried I won't be able to...)

In English we have started reading blood brothers. It seems quite good, although I'm remembering how much I hate reading books in English... all the stopping and starting. We haven't even got past the end of the first page yet!

For business our new teacher seems ok. One bad thing is that the hand over from our last teacher doesn't seem to be very smooth. He has no clue where we're supposed to be, or that he's supposed to be marking and giving us feedback for our controlled assessment next week! Unfortunately that could make my grade suffer quite a bit, as there were certain bits I wasn't sure on, so I was relying on the feedback to know if they were ok or not.

Update 13/9/16

We started our biology ISA finally! Did the first part of the CRN today then we'll finish them on Monday. Sooo glad we have the HOD!

In maths we got our PIXL papers back. I'm not going to post my scores until the grade boundaries come through though as I don't have any type of standardisation for my scores which means I'm not sure if I'm happy or not with them tbh. One of them is definitely lower than I would like, but I'm really happy with another one :smile:

In chemistry we have started C3. The periodic table is the first topic so we're doing presentations on them, then I assume we'll love onto hard and soft water (oh that sounds really interesting...not)

We had our first enrichment on Friday. My enrichment is current affairs politics and we were discussing the Grammar school debate (and our teacher was telling us about his experience lol). Some of the class definitely don't want to be there!

In chemistry we did our presentations and got an A lol, it was a bit silly really because everyone was presenting using the same information so there wasn't really any point sitting there listening to the same thing being said over and over again but oh well lol

We got past the first page in English! lol

Update 15/9/16

We were promised our English PIXL results by today but PIXL haven't sent them yet so we couldn't have them :frown:

Our last English lesson of the week is now going to be poetry. We also got our assessments back. I was really happy about my 16/30 (I knew it was awful because it took me 3 hours to write one paragraph of one page...). A third of our class got less than 10 though, so we have to redo it lol (though actually in 45 minutes this time :cry:

We had cover for biology and were set work to start B3...Osmosis. Certainly made me realise how much I didn't understand diffusion last year...

More work on lenses in physics. Wasn't very exciting but oh well

We've been banned from practise questions in maths...sort of contradicts the sheet full of practise rational expressions he set us last Monday...

Started our controlled assessment for business. Hopefully I'm on track to finish it (44 minutes in out of 120 and have written 1.3k/3k words)

Homework has started to build up so I'll have a busy weekend :frown: Next update Tuesday :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
Update 15/9/16

We were promised our English PIXL results by today but PIXL haven't sent them yet so we couldn't have them :frown:

Our last English lesson of the week is now going to be poetry. We also got our assessments back. I was really happy about my 16/30 (I knew it was awful because it took me 3 hours to write one paragraph of one page...). A third of our class got less than 10 though, so we have to redo it lol (though actually in 45 minutes this time :cry:

We had cover for biology and were set work to start B3...Osmosis. Certainly made me realise how much I didn't understand diffusion last year...

More work on lenses in physics. Wasn't very exciting but oh well

We've been banned from practise questions in maths...sort of contradicts the sheet full of practise rational expressions he set us last Monday...

Started our controlled assessment for business. Hopefully I'm on track to finish it (44 minutes in out of 120 and have written 1.3k/3k words)

Homework has started to build up so I'll have a busy weekend :frown: Next update Tuesday :smile:

Love your thread and was just wondering what you had covered in English Lang and Lit so far
Original post by samaad1
Love your thread and was just wondering what you had covered in English Lang and Lit so far

Thanks! :smile::smile:
In lit we have covered:

A Christmas Carol

Unseen poetry

Seen poetry

And we're just starting blood brothers

In lang we have covered:

Section B of paper 1 (creative writing)

Section B of paper 2 (persuasive writing? something non fiction anyway)

We have very briefly covered what is in section A of each paper as well as we were doing a mock on it, but it was literally 1 lesson per paper for that so I don't count that as properly covered tbh
Wow thats a lot more than what we've done :smile:

Lit:
Macbeth
An Inspector Calls
Jeckyll and Hyde (doing)

Lang
About 5 Poems from the anthology
And All of paper 1

Actually doesnt seem a lot left just rest of poems unseen poeatry and paper 2 which is same priniciple really
Original post by samaad1
Wow thats a lot more than what we've done :smile:

Lit:
Macbeth
An Inspector Calls
Jeckyll and Hyde (doing)

Lang
About 5 Poems from the anthology
And All of paper 1

Actually doesnt seem a lot left just rest of poems unseen poeatry and paper 2 which is same priniciple really

You do realise the anthology is in literature?
And by doing the seen poetry you actually do unseen poetry, just you need to hone the exam technique for the unseen questions as well as the seen questions, which is why you cover both as separate topics.
Paper two part A is quite similar to paper 1, but part B is very different because paper one is fiction, whereas paper 2 is non-fiction which makes th writing style very different.
You've actually done more than me then. We're really behind (and reading a book in English is sooo slow... :frown:)
Original post by Lemur14
You do realise the anthology is in literature?
And by doing the seen poetry you actually do unseen poetry, just you need to hone the exam technique for the unseen questions as well as the seen questions, which is why you cover both as separate topics.
Paper two part A is quite similar to paper 1, but part B is very different because paper one is fiction, whereas paper 2 is non-fiction which makes th writing style very different.
You've actually done more than me then. We're really behind (and reading a book in English is sooo slow... :frown:)

oh wow I'm so lost :tongue: and English is my least favourite subject and we really don't have much to do
Original post by samaad1
oh wow I'm so lost :tongue: and English is my least favourite subject and we really don't have much to do

I'm not really keen on English either but unfortunately it's just one of those things you have to do :frown: If I could give up English (particularly lit) and biology, I'd do it in a second!
Original post by Lemur14
I'm not really keen on English either but unfortunately it's just one of those things you have to do :frown: If I could give up English (particularly lit) and biology, I'd do it in a second!

lol exact same but would add maths to the list as well and change lit to lang as I find thats the hardest
Original post by samaad1
lol exact same but would add maths to the list as well and change lit to lang as I find thats the hardest

Noo. Maths is the best subject! I'm gonna end up with 3 qualifications in maths in the end lol
Original post by Lemur14
Noo. Maths is the best subject! I'm gonna end up with 3 qualifications in maths in the end lol

wow! really? I am so bad at maths it's going to be the subject I have to try the hardest in if I want to get a 6 (need a 6 for my 6th form)
Original post by samaad1
wow! really? I am so bad at maths it's going to be the subject I have to try the hardest in if I want to get a 6 (need a 6 for my 6th form)

Yeah, I love maths :smile: I'm hoping for a 9, but an 8 I more realistic unfortunately (would have been a solid A*, and have been for a while) If you need any help with maths, pm me, I can't guarantee a quick reply, but I will reply eventually :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
Yeah, I love maths :smile: I'm hoping for a 9, but an 8 I more realistic unfortunately (would have been a solid A*, and have been for a while) If you need any help with maths, pm me, I can't guarantee a quick reply, but I will reply eventually :smile:

thanks for the offer will definitely keep that in mind when I start revising maths properly

Quick Reply

Latest