The Student Room Group

Low Predictions

Hi guys,

I have been predicted an A* in maths, A in Biology and B in chemistry. Do you think if i do well in UKCAT I can still apply for med this year? And if so, which universities do you know that will let me apply with a B predicted in Chemistry?

Thanks
Original post by poptings
Hi guys,

I have been predicted an A* in maths, A in Biology and B in chemistry. Do you think if i do well in UKCAT I can still apply for med this year? And if so, which universities do you know that will let me apply with a B predicted in Chemistry?

Thanks

I'm not sure any will take AAB. You may have to re-apply next year, having achieved AAA unless you can push school into changing their mind.
Hi guys,

Thanks

Hi there,

well, to be honest, no where will really consider your application if you don't have a predicted A. The standard offer nowadays is AAA and AAA*. Often, if you don't have the minimum requirements of predicted AAA, then universities won't consider you.

Your best bet is to try and get an A in Chemistry. Then you could either apply though clearing to Medicine in the Summer after your A level results, or take a gap year and apply during that.

Hope you find the above useful,
The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there,

well, to be honest, no where will really consider your application if you don't have a predicted A. The standard offer nowadays is AAA and AAA*. Often, if you don't have the minimum requirements of predicted AAA, then universities won't consider you.

Your best bet is to try and get an A in Chemistry. Then you could either apply though clearing to Medicine in the Summer after your A level results, or take a gap year and apply during that.

The Medic Portal

Do you think medicine will be in clearing again then?
Hi guys,

Thanks

I'm in the same situation with these predicted grades: A*AB.
So stupid, since no university would EVER have an offer for A*AB???
It's basically like i've been predicted AAB.
Ridiculous.
Gonna beg for an A prediction after i've received my remark (if nothing's changed).
*angry*
Reply 5
Beg your teacher to predict you an A, say you know you might not get that but you need it or no one will consider you for a place. Do your research and bring a list of universities that say you wont be considered without an AAA prediction so she takes you seriously. Bring proof like quotes from their websites or looking at past applicant profiles.That's what i did. (it worked). I also told my teacher i understood the A prediction i needed isn't realistic and I understand that but its only purpose is to be selected for interview.

And its extremely unlikely for medicine to be in clearing. They were a few thousand calls for 50 odd places this year at St Georges. The people that were selected had to do an interview for a chance of getting a place. It was extremely hard to get a place. And only one uni was in clearing this year, most have their own waiting list full of people who have applied in october and have been selected and completed the interview.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by manlike99
Do you think medicine will be in clearing again then?

Hello,

Not 100% - but if it's happened this year it could happen again! We will give the admissions office a ring tomorrow at St. George's (who offered clearing this year) and see what they say. :smile:

The Medic Portal
Hello,

Not 100% - but if it's happened this year it could happen again! We will give the admissions office a ring tomorrow at St. George's (who offered clearing this year) and see what they say. :smile:

The Medic Portal

Thank you :smile:
I was talking to an admissions tutor at UEA and they said they consider applicants AAB predictions but their offers to them will be AAA. In addition, according to keeles website, they take A*AB and AAA as the same so there's definitely still hope for you:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Ive tried asking my teacher to move it up but this is as high as they can go :frown: guess I will have to apply during a gap year then. Anyways, thanks everyone I appreciate the help! :smile:
Original post by manlike99
Thank you :smile:

Good morning,

Just spoke to St. George's about clearing. They said - as you rightly suggested - that it's actually impossible to tell. They will make the decision far closer to results day, and it depends on whether candidates meet their grades, the calibre of applicants, etc. So, actually we can't depend on clearing being an option. :frown:

The Medic Portal
Hi guys,

Thanks

If you are going to a poor school, live in a crap area, first from your family to go to uni etc., then have a look at the Newcastle University's Partners programme. They will lower your offer by 2 grades if you are eligible and provided that you pass the summer school assessment.
Good morning,

Just spoke to St. George's about clearing. They said - as you rightly suggested - that it's actually impossible to tell. They will make the decision far closer to results day, and it depends on whether candidates meet their grades, the calibre of applicants, etc. So, actually we can't depend on clearing being an option. :frown:

The Medic Portal

Thanks guys :smile: Could I pm you any other questions?

Quick Reply

Latest