The Student Room Group

OCR Biology- effect on temperature on membrane permeability

I need to answer a question- "Why were the tubes washed in distilled water and dried before the experiment began?". I'm so confused with this topic and I could really use some help to allow me to understand this better.
Original post by courtneylizz
I need to answer a question- "Why were the tubes washed in distilled water and dried before the experiment began?". I'm so confused with this topic and I could really use some help to allow me to understand this better.

This is really vague information. I don't know what practical you're referring to and what the tubes are specifically used for. However, it's likely it's used for decontamination so that any toxic molecules do not denature any membrane proteins or react with dye molecules which are used to indicate the rate.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
This is really vague information. I don't know what practical you're referring to and what the tubes are specifically used for. However, it's likely it's used for decontamination so that any toxic molecules do not denature any membrane proteins or react with dye molecules which are used to indicate the rate.

The practical is investigating the effect of temperature on beetroot cells, and the tubes are used to place the beetroot cylinders into the test tubes with distilled water. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
Original post by courtneylizz
The practical is investigating the effect of temperature on beetroot cells, and the tubes are used to place the beetroot cylinders into the test tubes with distilled water. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

I see. Well, I think my above answer suits it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest