The Student Room Group

Urgent Student Funding Advice

Hi all,

I have had an amazing last minute opportunity to join a masters intake in 3 weeks and now have to sort funding.

Could anyone suggest my best option? I am struggling to find anything. I am definitely going to join the course but i have only found one option and a cheaper option would be better.

Some background information:

- I'm a UK student going on to a Marine Biology MSc
- I am not eligible for government funded student loans
- It is too late to apply for busaries or scholarships
- I have never had a credit card or any real debt so my credit score is bad and i can't get bank loans etc

The only thing i found was FutureFinance at around 11-12% apr. I will do this if i have to as i think i can pay it back relatively quickly but does have anyone have any last minute suggestions? I'm getting desperate here!

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by MJ98
Hi all,

I have had an amazing last minute opportunity to join a masters intake in 3 weeks and now have to sort funding.

Could anyone suggest my best option? I am struggling to find anything. I am definitely going to join the course but i have only found one option and a cheaper option would be better.

Some background information:

- I'm a UK student going on to a Marine Biology MSc
- I am not eligible for government funded student loans
- It is too late to apply for busaries or scholarships
- I have never had a credit card or any real debt so my credit score is bad and i can't get bank loans etc

The only thing i found was FutureFinance at around 11-12% apr. I will do this if i have to as i think i can pay it back relatively quickly but does have anyone have any last minute suggestions? I'm getting desperate here!

Thanks!

There's nothing other than the SF Postgrad Loan, the Co-Op Bank's Professional & Career Development Loan and Future Finance (and yes, I would be wary of them - they charge commercial-style interest and you have to make repayments whether you can afford them or not, whilst you're studying).

Can you defer for a year and save some money?

Why are you not eligible for the SF Postgrad Loan?*
In such short notice, it may just be better to ask for deferral until you sort yourself out.

The easiest option is the government postgraduate loan, but you mentioned that you won't be eligible.

The other option is the co-op career development loan. They do check your credit rating however, they know the majority of applicants are students so they don't expect glowing credit ratings.

There *may* still be time to apply for scholarships (take a google search) but this may take a while to come through.
Reply 3
Thank for the replies.

I am ineligible for government funding as it is my second masters. I self-funded my first but cannot get help for this one so have to self-fund again.

I am not concerned about minimum repayments as my partner and i are very stable and we can comfortably afford to pay off a loan as we are both well trained and can earn reasonably good money. Therefore i will fund the course and loan payments working part time and then get back into full time employment straight after.

It says online that CDL's need to be applied for 3 months early due to processing times and i haven't yet found any bursaries etc. i am eligible for that aren't finished.

I will keep looking for a better option!

Thanks
Reply 4
On a side note, i will have up to a month abroad as part of my course (including travel time). I have read about travel grants but dont think i would be covered as i don't think it's going to be studying at another university and it won't be a long enough amount of time or a placement.

Does anyone know if i can be covered in anyway for this with a grant?
Reply 5
Original post by MJ98
On a side note, i will have up to a month abroad as part of my course (including travel time). I have read about travel grants but dont think i would be covered as i don't think it's going to be studying at another university and it won't be a long enough amount of time or a placement.

Does anyone know if i can be covered in anyway for this with a grant?

The best contact for this will be your uni. Hopefully they can advise on how previous students have funded it, and can point you in the direction of relevant grants etc.
Reply 6
Original post by Klix88
The best contact for this will be your uni. Hopefully they can advise on how previous students have funded it, and can point you in the direction of relevant grants etc.

Ok no problem, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest