The Student Room Group

On the scrap heap.

Hello, I would like to have a moan, I am 57, I have been made redundant from my job at "Austin Reed Ltd", my moan is that employers are willing to take some people on who they know will not work, play on the phone or use social network sites when they should be working, but each job I have applied for recently and there have been a few, I get sorry but we are not recruiting at the moment, or you were unsuccessful this time please try again in the future, although by law everyone knows employers are not supposed to discriminate, but people of my age who are willing to work and would be diligent in whatever job they are given, we just don't seem to be taken on, we know the management are thinking, we can get X amount of years out of this person, but that one will retire or die in the next few years, so we will give the job to the first candidate, and the old crone misses out again, there you are, moan, moan, moan, I am that old crone, I have bills to pay, I have a wife to look after and feed, and I need my sanity, plus I want to feel I am a part of the community earning my keep, doing my bit to contribute.
I am desperate I need a job please.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BennDoon
Hello, I would like to have a moan, I am 57, I have been made redundant from my job at "Austin Reed Ltd", my moan is that employers are willing to take some people on who they know will not work, play on the phone or use social network sites when they should be working, but each job I have applied for recently and there have been a few, I get sorry but we are not recruiting at the moment, or you were unsuccessful this time please try again in the future, although by law everyone knows employers are not supposed to discriminate, but people of my age who are willing to work and would be diligent in whatever job they are given, we just don't seem to be taken on, we know the management are thinking, we can get X amount of years out of this person, but that one will retire or die in the next few years, so we will give the job to the first candidate, and the old crone misses out again, there you are, moan, moan, moan, I am that old crone, I have bills to pay, I have a wife to look after and feed, and I need my sanity, plus I want to feel I am a part of the community earning my keep, doing my bit to contribute.

Do you have any particular skills or ambitions?
Original post by BennDoon

unfortunately experience means nothing now i mean i remember my dad (he's 60 but was 58 at the time) looking and applying and ended up on JSA doing odd jobs for next to nothing before i took him on as my driver but that's another story
Reply 3
Original post by jamesthehustler
unfortunately experience means nothing now i mean i remember my dad (he's 60 but was 58 at the time) looking and applying and ended up on JSA doing odd jobs for next to nothing before i took him on as my driver but that's another story

Hello, I was unfortunate to have been made redundant from Austin Reed in June this summer, among nearly 200 of us I only know of 3 who have jobs at the moment, and they got them through family or close friends, I am caring for my wife at present who unfortunately have been diagnosed with terminal cancer, so I am not in a position to hold or look for a job until we can move closer to the hospital for her treatment, and her siblings/kids, I feel so helpless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending