The Student Room Group

Poor UKCAT score... Which unis can I apply to?

Hi guys, I did really badly on my UKCAT and the interim results were just published... Which universities take the UKCAT into little consideration/no consideration ??? I've looked this up many times, but can't seem to find any accurate/up-to-date information... Many thanks already!!! Have a lovely day :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hard to help without your score and your grades, what did you get?
Original post by HopelessMedic
Hard to help without your score and your grades, what did you get?

My average UKCAT score was 600, my GSCE grades were all A*s and AS levels were all As. My predicted grades I haven't received yet. :smile:
Bmat universities?
Original post by II scientist II
My average UKCAT score was 600, my GSCE grades were all A*s and AS levels were all As. My predicted grades I haven't received yet. :smile:

Assuming you have around 8/9 A*s at GCSE you could apply to Cardiff, Bham, QUB and even Oxford if you took the BMAT. Keele and Bristol don't place too much weight on the UKCAT as far as I'm aware, and you also have BMAT uni's.

I'd definitely advise Cardiff tho, your GCSE's would put you in a very strong position.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Assuming you have around 8/9 A*s at GCSE you could apply to Cardiff, Bham, QUB and even Oxford if you took the BMAT. Keele and Bristol don't place too much weight on the UKCAT as far as I'm aware, and you also have BMAT uni's.

I'd definitely advise Cardiff tho, your GCSE's would put you in a very strong position.

Thank you very much!!!
Original post by II scientist II

:thumbsup: Nice grades! You have definitely got a shot! For just UKCAT unis alone, there are five that you can apply to. For instance, Birmingham base 70% of their selection process on GCSEs - so you're really in a good position here!

Check out this blog on which medical schools to apply to with a low UKCAT score.

Good luck with it all!
The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal
:thumbsup: Nice grades! You have definitely got a shot! For just UKCAT unis alone, there are five that you can apply to. For instance, Birmingham base 70% of their selection process on GCSEs - so you're really in a good position here!

Check out this blog on which medical schools to apply to with a low UKCAT score.

Good luck with it all!
The Medic Portal

Thank you! Actually I have another question from a friend: do they just take the best GSCE marks or specific ones? Thank you again!!
This varies from university to university - it is probably worth contacting the individual Medical Schools that you are interested in...

But as two examples:

Birmingham looks at top 8 including Maths, Sciences and English.
Sheffield requires that you meet set GCSEs in certain subjects, as per this page on their website.

Hopefully this is helpful!
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending