The Student Room Group

What age do you want to get married?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ishax
I don't want to live in a rented house, I want my own house with my own mortgage with my husband. Marriage isn't an obstacle, it's about financial stability as I've mentioned before.

I want to finish my degree, get my masters and be young (carefree). I want to build my career. Like I said, I don't want to get married and share my life with someone else. I want to do things my own way and ideally get married at 28. You want to travel with your husband, that's fine but at the moment I don't want to. I want to things for myself and be selfish.

Yes, I understand that those are your preferences; I just find them strange, as you probably find mine strange.

Each to their own!
Reply 181
Original post by Tw1x
I'm not fussed about marriage - I have been with my partner for 5 years and always said I wanted to get engaged but not married.

Yes, it's up to you both whether you decide to get married now or in the future :smile:
Realistically, about 30 ish
Reply 183
Original post by *pitseleh*
Yes, I understand that those are your preferences; I just find them strange, as you probably find mine strange.

Each to their own!

It's because in my culture it's deemed embarrasing not to have your own house lol! I guess different cultures have different views.

I don't find your views strange, it's just I can't see myself getting married and settling down early. I feel anxious and worried thinking about it 😕 .. It's ultimately down to persons choice on whether they want to get married early or not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 184
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
After reading The Beautiful and Damned, never. :afraid:

Everyone has different views I guess :smile:
in my 30s
Reply 186
Original post by Ishax
Yes, it's up to you both whether you decide to get married now or in the future :smile:

Never. I don't see the point (apart from a financial POV) - the only reason I want to get engaged is because people look at us when we say we've been together 5 years and there's no commitment there, haha. Plus it sounds a little lame (to me) being closer to 30 than 20 calling someone 'boyfriend' after 5 years
Original post by Ishax
It's because in my culture it's deemed embarrasing not to have your own house lol! I guess different cultures have different views.

I don't find your views strange, it's just I can't see myself getting married and settling down early. I feel anxious and worried thinking about it 😕 .. It's ultimately down to persons choice on whether they want to get married early or not.

I find that kind of sad; growing up is hard enough, without cultural/community pressure to do something (own a house) that a lot of people aren't able to do until they're much older, if at all. I'm sorry you have that pressure on you.

It's totally fine that you feel like that; as I said in an earlier post, that's your choice, and it's no better or worse than anyone else's. No-one here seems to be pressuring you or anyone else to get married early, and nobody in your home/family life should be doing so either. Hope you manage to do what's right for you without too much reference to other people's opinions on what you should do. :smile:
Reply 188
Original post by *pitseleh*
I find that kind of sad; growing up is hard enough, without cultural/community pressure to do something (own a house) that a lot of people aren't able to do until they're much older, if at all. I'm sorry you have that pressure on you.

It's totally fine that you feel like that; as I said in an earlier post, that's your choice. No-one here seems to be pressuring you or anyone else to get married early, and nobody in your home/family life should be doing so either. Hope you manage to do what's right for you without too much reference to other people's opinions on what you should do. :smile:*

I guess it is slightly sad but it's good to have pressure on you. In my opinion if you're going to build a family then you need to have a house regardless if it's rented or brought but my parents don't see it that way. You need somewhere to live obviously, my parents want me to have my own house with my husband etc. There's usually more pressure on males to have a house to live with their wife and children (old mentality) but ah well.

Exactly, everyone should be entitled to get married whenever they'd like to do so and if they don't want to them that's fine aswell. My parents ideally would like me to get married around 26-28 but there's no exact age or any pressure :smile: .. They're more concerned about me getting my degree and masters!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 189
Original post by Tw1x
Never. I don't see the point (apart from a financial POV) - the only reason I want to get engaged is because people look at us when we say we've been together 5 years and there's no commitment there, haha. Plus it sounds a little lame (to me) being closer to 30 than 20 calling someone 'boyfriend' after 5 years

Haha, it's not lame! It's your life, you should live it the way you want to :smile: don't get married because "people" want you to. It should be for yourself and your partner!
Reply 190
Original post by Ishax
Haha, it's not lame! It's your life, you should live it the way you want to :smile: don't get married because "people" want you to. It should be for yourself and your partner!

Ha, I plan to. I also have bad social anxiety so the idea of a day being all about me and people staring at me is too terrifying :tongue:
Reply 191
Original post by Tw1x
Ha, I plan to. I also have bad social anxiety so the idea of a day being all about me and people staring at me is too terrifying :tongue:

Well, if it helps keep it small so you won't have too many people looking at you 😜
24-32 I would like to get married around that time?
tomorrow to dylan o brien:h:
I would like to anyway...
Original post by Ishax
At the end of the day, there is no need to mention what type of house you live in as it's irrelevant to this thread. There are a lot of things that come with marriage and a sort of that is paying bills in terms of mortgage which is what I was referring to.

By getting married early I will miss out on my 20's as I plan on working on my career and going travelling etc. I want to be financially stable before I settle down and before that I have stuff I want to accomplish. My personal goals if you'd like.

The reason I mentioned my house was because you suggested that all people who get married young are on benefits or being supported by their parents; I was illustrating that your assumption does not match my reality.

I'm still unclear as to why you think career and travelling are incompatible with marriage. You seem to have an odd view of marriage, as if you somehow have to give up something.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 195
Original post by Doll Parts
The reason I mentioned my house was because you suggested that all people who get married young are on benefits or being supported by their parents; I was illustrating that your assumption does not match my reality.

I'm still unclear as to why you think career and travelling are incompatible with marriage. You seem to have an odd view marriage, as if you somehow have to give up something.

I've explained plenty of times why I want to get married late in this thread, read my other posts.

Bye :smile:
Reply 196
Original post by Anonymous
24-32 I would like to get married around that time?

That's nice, ideally I'll like to around 26-28 maybe :smile:
When I make partner at a big London law firm.
26-28
Reply 199
Original post by tcameron
26-28

Same :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest