The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vincrows
:smile:
How long is the flight?
wrap yourself warm when you land. It's getting suddenly very autumn-ly last few days.....:wink:

Ahh, I'm missing out on "hottest September" :tongue:

I used to go via emirates when I go to the UK, so a stop in Dubai - but don't want the hassle this time, so taking a direct flight (and it's cheaper) which means about ~12/12.5 hours flight which is a bit crazy. Guess it's enough time to read that King's freshers book about free will :lol:
Original post by Zacken
Ahh, I'm missing out on "hottest September" :tongue:

I used to go via emirates when I go to the UK, so a stop in Dubai - but don't want the hassle this time, so taking a direct flight (and it's cheaper) which means about ~12/12.5 hours flight which is a bit crazy. Guess it's enough time to read that King's freshers book about free will :lol:

you'll have enough time to learn every bit of fresher's book by heart by the time you arrive at Heathrow. :biggrin:
On a completely different (and bit old) note.....

Has anyone seen The Man Who Knew Infinity?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0787524/

It had quite mixed reviews and was shown at cinemas for a very short period of time, but I quite liked it.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/the-man-who-knew-infinity/review/
On a completely different (and bit old) note.....

Has anyone seen The Man Who Knew Infinity?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0787524/

It had quite mixed reviews and was shown at cinemas for a very short period of time, but I quite liked it.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/the-man-who-knew-infinity/review/

Yes I watched that the other day infact. I thought it was a good film, dont know how accurate it was though....

but atleast it gave me enough inspiration to beast an example sheet at 2am :tongue:
Original post by EnglishMuon
Yes I watched that the other day infact. I thought it was a good film, dont know how accurate it was though....

but atleast it gave me enough inspiration to beast an example sheet at 2am :tongue:

lol
And the film also tells you sandals in cold Cambridge is not a good idea.....:tongue:

The voices from mathmo world on the film.
"The film has been praised by mathematicians and scientists for its authentic portrayal of theoretical mathematicians. Instead of a perfunctory treatment of mathematics, the film engaged the mathematicians Ken Ono and Manjul Bhargava to get the mathematics right. George E. Andrews, former President of the American Mathematical Society praised the film for its moving portrayal of the deep relationship between Ramanujan and Hardy.[13] The London Mathematical Societyproclaimed that the film "outshines Good Will Hunting in almost every way".[14] Reviewing the film for Nature, Andrew Robinson wrote that "the film took more than ten years to create. It is worth the wait."[15] "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Knew_Infinity_(film)
(edited 7 years ago)
lol
And the film also tells you sandals in cold Cambridge is not a good idea.....:tongue:

The voices from mathmo world on the film.
"The film has been praised by mathematicians and scientists for its authentic portrayal of theoretical mathematicians. Instead of a perfunctory treatment of mathematics, the film engaged the mathematicians Ken Ono and Manjul Bhargava to get the mathematics right. George E. Andrews, former President of the American Mathematical Society praised the film for its moving portrayal of the deep relationship between Ramanujan and Hardy.[13] The London Mathematical Societyproclaimed that the film "outshines Good Will Hunting in almost every way".[14] Reviewing the film for Nature, Andrew Robinson wrote that "the film took more than ten years to create. It is worth the wait."[15] "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Knew_Infinity_(film)

do you agree it outshines Good Will Hunting? :tongue:
Original post by StrangeBanana

I haven't seen it but I doubt that any "similar" film can outshine Good Will Hunting! :smile:
Original post by RyanW97
I haven't seen it but I doubt that any "similar" film can outshine Good Will Hunting! :smile:

yea I'm skeptical too

Good Will Hunting is too American to my liking, with obligatory happy ending. :tongue:
(If I were to choose an American film with education-related theme, Dead Poet Society is hands-down for me. No competition. :smile:)

I prefer less glossy, subtle tone of British films.
It was really beautifully made.
Some of the scenes were just like watching beautiful paintings.
And the story is quite poignant. It remains with you.
Good Will Hunting is too American to my liking, with obligatory happy ending. :tongue:
(If I were to choose an American film with education-related theme, Dead Poet Society is hands-down for me. No competition. :smile:)

fair enough

yea I prefer Dead Poets Society too

I'll be sure to get the DVD :biggrin:

But how do you know that there was a happy ending in Good Will Hunting?...
fair enough

yea I prefer Dead Poets Society too

I'll be sure to get the DVD :biggrin:

It's even more poignant if watch it at Cambridge. :wink:
It's even more poignant if watch it at Cambridge. :wink:

0: we can have a movie night
Whats going on everyone.
Is everyone ready?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Whats going on everyone.
Is everyone ready?

Posted from TSR Mobile

why doesnt @Renzhi10122 talk anymore
Original post by This Saturday

He got kicked out of our fb group due to lack of activity. WhAT A LAD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by This Saturday

I heard he is gapping for his leeds sports science re application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
Original post by Mathemagicien
Me too

I know :dance:
Original post by Mathemagicien
I know you know, didn't you know that?

I was reaffirming your knowledge of my knowledge. I would've thought you would've known.

Quick Reply

Latest