The Student Room Group

Applying to top ten university

I got 6A*s, 4As and 1B at GCSE, and I was targeted AAAA for AS. However, I severely underestimated the workload for AS, and suffered with a few personal issues in the year, and so I go BCCU at AS. Anyway, I honestly feel that this year (year 13), I can achieve AAA/A*AA. If i was to achieve these grades, combined with a very good personal statement, how likely would it be that I would receive offers from top ten universities (Durham,KCL,LSE) to do international relations after reapplying next year?
Very likely

I was in a similar position but I was a medicine reject, I had the grades and everything so I took a gap year but I didn't apply for medicine again :smile:

Now I am at UCL!

I got AAA btw
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by That_Clever_Guy
Very likely

I was in a similar position but I was a medicine reject, I had the grades and everything so I took a gap year but I didn't apply for medicine again :smile:

Now I am at UCL, studying Chemistry with Maths

I got AAA btw

Wow well done! What did you get at AS if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by fcdxscx
Wow well done! What did you get at AS if you don't mind me asking?

AABB
Original post by fcdxscx
I got 6A*s, 4As and 1B at GCSE, and I was targeted AAAA for AS. However, I severely underestimated the workload for AS, and suffered with a few personal issues in the year, and so I go BCCU at AS. Anyway, I honestly feel that this year (year 13), I can achieve AAA/A*AA. If i was to achieve these grades, combined with a very good personal statement, how likely would it be that I would receive offers from top ten universities (Durham,KCL,LSE) to do international relations after reapplying next year?

You should have worked harder.

Tough luck. It's unlikely that you honestly feel you can get A*AA from BCCU.
Reply 5
AABB

But do you think that seeing my poor AS grades would put the universities off giving me an offer, despite my (hopefully) stellar A level grades?
Original post by fcdxscx

Although it might seem harsh due to personal problems etc, but tens of thousands of people applying to the universities will have better grades than you. It might be worth retaking your ASs for a better chance :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by yuccatree
Although it might seem harsh due to personal problems etc, but tens of thousands of people applying to the universities will have better grades than you. It might be worth retaking your ASs for a better chance :smile:

Does them being linear A levels make any difference to your view?
Original post by fcdxscx
But do you think that seeing my poor AS grades would put the universities off giving me an offer, despite my (hopefully) stellar A level grades?

If you get the predictions you want, then yeah I don't see why the university won't consider you

I know somebody who got BBCC at AS, got A*AA predictions, got an offer from Oxford but didn't meet the requirements

So getting the offer isn't the hard thing really, it's turning your AS grades into the grades you want

But if you're willing to work hard, anything is possible and if you do get the grades, a gap year isn't the worst thing

Good luck
Reply 9
If you get the predictions you want, then yeah I don't see why the university won't consider you

I know somebody who got BBCC at AS, got A*AA predictions, got an offer from Oxford but didn't meet the requirements

So getting the offer isn't the hard thing really, it's turning your AS grades into the grades you want

But if you're willing to work hard, anything is possible and if you do get the grades, a gap year isn't the worst thing

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I am pretty confident that my predicted grades won't be good enough, but if I massively exceed my predicted grades and get AAA/A*AA at the end of year 13, would it be worth me taking a gap year and then reapplying after I've already got these grades, or would the fact that I still have to declare my poor AS grades on my ucas form prevent top universities giving me an offer?
Original post by fcdxscx
Thanks for the advice. I am pretty confident that my predicted grades won't be good enough, but if I massively exceed my predicted grades and get AAA/A*AA at the end of year 13, would it be worth me taking a gap year and then reapplying after I've already got these grades, or would the fact that I still have to declare my poor AS grades on my ucas form prevent top universities giving me an offer?

Nobody cares really about your AS grades once you've got your A2 ones, so no I don't think it would be a problem

Yeah definitely, if you get the grades you want, why not take a gap year
My only advice is if you're planning on taking a gap year is, don't waste it - my gap year was unplanned so I ended up wasting a couple of months before actually doing something
Reply 11
Nobody cares really about your AS grades once you've got your A2 ones, so no I don't think it would be a problem

Yeah definitely, if you get the grades you want, why not take a gap year
My only advice is if you're planning on taking a gap year is, don't waste it - my gap year was unplanned so I ended up wasting a couple of months before actually doing something

Thanks a lot for the advice:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending