The Student Room Group

Why does God make people suffer?

Why? Millions of people in the world who are suffering and their suffering never ending. How do religious people explain this?
You had to be anonymous for this?
Free will idk
Going anonymous in the wrong section to make a statement a lot of people generally agree with?

whaaaaa...hit up the religion section fam, there's a thread on the topic of suffering every couple of months maybe
Original post by Anonymous
Why? Millions of people in the world who are suffering and their suffering never ending. How do religious people explain this?

God knows best.
"For I know I plans I have for you sas the Lord, Plans to prosper you and not to harm you,Plans to give you a hope and a future."

He doesn't make people suffer, but it's part of his plan to make their lives better.
Reply 6
Sorry about your breakup.
Original post by saraxh
Free will idk

No Sarah.
It's because there is no such thing as god.
It's an invention of ignorant ancient people.
They say that every group of species would create a god in their image if given the chance. Since humans are essentially instinct-driven bonobo apes, that leaves our god an ape. And apes aren't very smart.
Original post by 999tigger
You had to be anonymous for this?

lol

Original post by Reaver Daniels
Could go into the philosophy and attempt to defend the religion, even though I don't personally believe it God.

However I'm quite tired, so for now, I'll just say for the lols, 'the Lord moves in mysterious ways' 😂😂😂😂😂😂😜

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL XDDD
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Going anonymous in the wrong section to make a statement a lot of people generally agree with?

whaaaaa...hit up the religion section fam, there's a thread on the topic of suffering every couple of months maybe

My girlfriend broke up with me. Why would God make me suffer like this?
My girlfriend broke up with me. Why would God make me suffer like this?

Spoiler

I don't have an answer, but I do know that almost everyone and everything suffers. If there is a God the maybe pain keeps humans modest? Makes them kind and more accepting? lowers expectations of what happiness is? Perhaps it brings them closer to God?

I don't know if there is a God, and if there is then I don't know why he lets anyone suffer, but it seems pain is just something everyone goes through and many do conquer it, so perhaps like happiness it is just a human feeling that we have to accept like the rest of them. :tongue:

Imagine this. I am a biologist. I create a medium for some bacteria to survive in. I give them the nutrients and conditions to survive. Somehow, through evolution they quickly become sentient. What do they think of me? I am their God, their creator. Then bad stuff starts happening. There is a drought, there is an earthquake, their babies get incurable diseases due to random mutations. Can I stop these things? No...I'm just a guy who gave them the right conditions to grow but I can't control the weather or if they randomly get diseases.

Perhaps that is what God is (if there is a God). A being who gave us all the right conditions for life to flourish but bar that hasn't got much control on what happens and definitely not enough control to stop everyone dying.
I don't believe in any personal god, I find the idea of a god that observes my every action and judges me loves me knows me personally etc absolutely manifestly absurd. I could entertain an Impersonal god depending on the definition, as a conceivable possibility. However that is not saying I believe such a thing but merely that I recognize the idea is conceivably possible. However assuming for the sake of argument that such a being did exist they would have no reason to care about the individual circumstances of any specific being just like we don't often go around concerning ourselves with the plight of ants. Further still like we would not worry about an ant hill, I fail to see why such a being would care about the inhabitants on a tiny rock among an endless see of octillion rocks in the great vastness of the universe.

If there really is such a being that could warrant the title God I doubt they pay our entire existence much more notice then a passing observation if even that.
Many people would respond in different ways. Some may say that God does not exist, but generally, many believe that God gave humans free will,or it is a test etc. I guess it depends on your faith or what you believe in. X
Original post by Munrot07
Imagine this. I am a biologist. I create a medium for some bacteria to survive in. I give them the nutrients and conditions to survive. Somehow, through evolution they quickly become sentient. What do they think of me? I am their God, their creator. Then bad stuff starts happening. There is a drought, there is an earthquake, their babies get incurable diseases due to random mutations. Can I stop these things? No...I'm just a guy who gave them the right conditions to grow but I can't control the weather or if they randomly get diseases.

Perhaps that is what God is (if there is a God). A being who gave us all the right conditions for life to flourish but bar that hasn't got much control on what happens and definitely not enough control to stop everyone dying.

That was a very interesting way to put it actually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending