The Student Room Group

URGENT: Should i drop A-level Chemistry if i wanna go into BioMed?

I just started taking Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology for my A-levels. Its been 2 weeks so far and i'm already struggling with Chemistry :/ So i did some research on some universities that offer the course on BioMed and loads of them didn't need Chemistry. Thing is, the universities i was planning on applying to (Bristol, Birmingham + the London ones) all need Chemistry, but i also found out that 3 other Russell Group uni's don't need chemistry! (Queen Mary's, Warwick & Newcastle).
Do you think i should drop Chemistry since a load of other uni's don't need it, even though it closes some doors for other Universities?

Btw, do you know if Cardiff will accept Psychology as a 'second science' for BioMed? (i know Chemistry is preferred).-
Original post by ldrm1523
I just started taking Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology for my A-levels. Its been 2 weeks so far and i'm already struggling with Chemistry :/ So i did some research on some universities that offer the course on BioMed and loads of them didn't need Chemistry. Thing is, the universities i was planning on applying to (Bristol, Birmingham + the London ones) all need Chemistry, but i also found out that 3 other Russell Group uni's don't need chemistry! (Queen Mary's, Warwick & Newcastle).
Do you think i should drop Chemistry since a load of other uni's don't need it, even though it closes some doors for other Universities?

Btw, do you know if Cardiff will accept Psychology as a 'second science' for BioMed? (i know Chemistry is preferred).-

i don't know much so don't take my word, but for a lot of universities, chemistry is a must for anything to do with medicine. even more than biology. but its your choice. its only been two weeks - i took it for a level too and I'm my fourth lesson in and it is harder. just ask the teacher for help and go through it in your own time :smile:
I felt like this when I first started doing chemistry but I ploughed through and now i am in my A2 year. Trust me, it gets a lot more enjoyable once you've covered the starting chapter.
Reply 3
Original post by hello654321
i don't know much so don't take my word, but for a lot of universities, chemistry is a must for anything to do with medicine. even more than biology. but its your choice. its only been two weeks - i took it for a level too and I'm my fourth lesson in and it is harder. just ask the teacher for help and go through it in your own time :smile:

Thanks, i think it would be best for me to drop Psychology since i basically don't have any free periods (so i can go through the work) and i find it so hard to study at home.
Someone please help me. I am currrently doing 4 a levels at a2 and i want to drop one because i cant deal with the stress anymore. I am doing Biology, Maths, Chemistry and psychology. My predicted grades are B in bio and chem and A in maths and psychology. Im thinking of dropping either chemistry or psychology and i need advice on which one to drop. Chemistry is getting really hard and in my recent assessments ive been getting Cs whereas psychology have been A's what shall i do? Im thinking of doing optom at uni.
Original post by thefailurelife
Someone please help me. I am currrently doing 4 a levels at a2 and i want to drop one because i cant deal with the stress anymore. I am doing Biology, Maths, Chemistry and psychology. My predicted grades are B in bio and chem and A in maths and psychology. Im thinking of dropping either chemistry or psychology and i need advice on which one to drop. Chemistry is getting really hard and in my recent assessments ive been getting Cs whereas psychology have been A's what shall i do? Im thinking of doing optom at uni.

Psychology is the least academic one, and Biology, Chemistry and Maths is a good strong set of A levels which would allow access to pretty much any scientific undergraduate course. I would thus drop psychology, particularly if you want to do Optometry.
Original post by Reality Check
Psychology is the least academic one, and Biology, Chemistry and Maths is a good strong set of A levels which would allow access to pretty much any scientific undergraduate course. I would thus drop psychology, particularly if you want to do Optometry.

But the entry requiremente are pretty high and of i drop chem it will allow me to focus on bio
In that case I'd check with some universities to which you plan to apply that they will consider Psychology, Biology and Maths as an acceptable set of A levels and, importantly, that they would be a competitive application. By all means drop chemistry if you feel it would help your biology but recognize that you are potentially reducing your options by not studying chemistry.
But optom doesnt require chem, the only courses that i would probably be interested in that require chem is dentistry and pharmacy but i know i dont want to do either of those anymore. I just know that i will probably end up with a C or a B in chem which means i wont be able to get into optom. I also have maths and biology which will give me a wide range already. Do you still think its worth keeping chem?
I also know that psychology will not really benefit me besides that fact that its probably my most easiest subject to get an A in, in terms of grades i think its my better chance.

Quick Reply

Latest