The Student Room Group

Law degree - job prospects

Hi,
I will be starting a law degree very soon and was wondering whether it is really tough to secure a job with an undergraduate degree in law? I don't necessary plan to be a solicitor or a barrister, I might go into something else with the LLB.
Reply 1
Original post by Aizen95
Hi,
I will be starting a law degree very soon and was wondering whether it is really tough to secure a job with an undergraduate degree in law? I don't necessary plan to be a solicitor or a barrister, I might go into something else with the LLB.

Just focus on enjoying university, doing well in your degree and, if you can, getting some decent work-experience in where you can. Then worry about the job situation when you're about to graduate - it sounds like you're worrying a bit too much now.
Original post by Aizen95
Hi,

For now, it is important to focus on your first year of uni and enjoy the experience.

Yes law job prospects aren't like they used to be, but if you are determined to succeed in practice then you will go far.

I would definitely keep an open mind as although you might be feeling like you want to practice now, that can change once you start the degree.

When I started first year I was determined to practice and I saw no other career path for me. Fast forward 2 years and I am now about to start 3rd year next week and have no desire to practice at all. See, its not because I dislike the degree, I have just learned how flexible the degree is in terms of possible career options.

I learned that I have a passion for healthcare and have taken medical law honours subjects so that I can pursue a career in healthcare administration.

My point is that you should not get worried right now about what happens once you graduate as you are wishing away such amazing years of your life

Good luck with your studies !
Reply 3
Original post by ath_
Just focus on enjoying university, doing well in your degree and, if you can, getting some decent work-experience in where you can. Then worry about the job situation when you're about to graduate - it sounds like you're worrying a bit too much now.

Yeah makes sense, I get a little too stressed out sometimes. I already have started it this week, so far I've signed up to the law society, and am making plans to get some work experience done. Thank you for replying. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by evalilyXOX
For now, it is important to focus on your first year of uni and enjoy the experience.

Yes law job prospects aren't like they used to be, but if you are determined to succeed in practice then you will go far.

I would definitely keep an open mind as although you might be feeling like you want to practice now, that can change once you start the degree.

When I started first year I was determined to practice and I saw no other career path for me. Fast forward 2 years and I am now about to start 3rd year next week and have no desire to practice at all. See, its not because I dislike the degree, I have just learned how flexible the degree is in terms of possible career options.

I learned that I have a passion for healthcare and have taken medical law honours subjects so that I can pursue a career in healthcare administration.

My point is that you should not get worried right now about what happens once you graduate as you are wishing away such amazing years of your life

Good luck with your studies !

I see where you're coming from, yesterday I was talking to a third year student who was telling me that he at first wanted to go into criminal law, but is now considering other areas of law. I get a little stressed because at the end of the day I want to succeed, and I really have my mind set on this degree. I started this week, and was told by the careers team at an induction lecture, that there were plenty of fields to go into which relate to law. Haha I always hear that university is probably the best few years in a persons life, I don't intend to make them the worst. Thank you for your reply, I really do appreciate it.
Original post by Aizen95
Hi,

This all does depend on your grade which you achieve. If you achieve a strong first class honours, you will find it somewhat easier to get a training contract. If you get a third class or anything below, then it is time to pick another career, as no firm will hire you.
Reply 6
Original post by billy_k
This all does depend on your grade which you achieve. If you achieve a strong first class honours, you will find it somewhat easier to get a training contract. If you get a third class or anything below, then it is time to pick another career, as no firm will hire you.

That makes sense. Would a 2'1 also suffice? I don't aim for anything lower than that.
Original post by Aizen95
That makes sense. Would a 2'1 also suffice? I don't aim for anything lower than that.

Yes a 2:1 is perfectly fine. The only reason I suggested you work towards a first, is because it will make you stand out from the thousands of people whom all obtain 2:1.
Do you want to be a barrister or a solicitor?
Original post by Aizen95
Hi,

It is important to bear in mind the vast majority of graduate level jobs out there just require 'a' degree (usually a 2:1), in anything (obviously within reason, teddy bear studies is a no go). But the key thing is whether you have the appropriate CV, interviewing techniques and right competencies to get through the screening process. So I would maybe start thinking about where, outside of law, you'd likely consider going into and start working towards that.

But echo everyone else, don't stress too much and enjoy life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by billy_k
Yes a 2:1 is perfectly fine. The only reason I suggested you work towards a first, is because it will make you stand out from the thousands of people whom all obtain 2:1.
Do you want to be a barrister or a solicitor?

I see. I'm planning on becoming a barrister.
Reply 10
Original post by Princepieman
It is important to bear in mind the vast majority of graduate level jobs out there just require 'a' degree (usually a 2:1), in anything (obviously within reason, teddy bear studies is a no go). But the key thing is whether you have the appropriate CV, interviewing techniques and right competencies to get through the screening process. So I would maybe start thinking about where, outside of law, you'd likely consider going into and start working towards that.

But echo everyone else, don't stress too much and enjoy life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I've already begun asking for advice regarding work experience in areas I'm interested in going in. I'm still thinking about where exactly I want to go into. A part of me wants to be a barrister and another wants to go into something else (possibly outside law). After talking to third year students, I was told that as each year passes and the more modules I do which look at specific areas of law, I will get a better idea on exactly what I want to do.
Thank you for the reply, I will try and take it easy and enjoy this degree.
Original post by Aizen95
I see. I'm planning on becoming a barrister.

I would then highly advise you to go for a first class honours, or at least have hours and hours of legal experience.

Becoming a barrister is VERY competitive, the jobs for barristers is decreasing day by day, but the amount of law graduates is increasing each year. So as you can imagine it is very difficult to get training to become a barrister.
Most people will have a LLM from a top uni or even a BCL.

If you want to work for a TOP barristers chambers where you can earn up to half a million pounds a year, these are the types of people you will be competing with:

https://www.blackstonechambers.com/expertise/commercial/

about 90% of them are Oxford educated and 80% of them have more than just an LLB.

P.S in no way am I discouraging you to become a barrister, I am just pointing out how hard it is.

You know a job is difficult to get in to when Oxford graduates are being rejected from it lol.
Original post by billy_k
If you want to work for a TOP barristers chambers where you can earn up to half a million pounds a year

Source?

You know a job is difficult to get in to when Oxford graduates are being rejected from it lol.

If they don't suit the job, they don't suit it. Regardless of what their degree diploma says.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Source?

If they don't suit the job, they don't suit it. Regardless of what their degree diploma says.

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/barrister

Says salaries for barristers with experience can be up to £1 million a year.
Original post by Ladbants
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/barrister

Says salaries for barristers with experience can be up to £1 million a year.

Barristers earn salaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Barristers earn salaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are working for a chambers such as Maitland, Blackstone's, Keating's etc, you can make way over a million. However it all comes with experience. Once you earn the 'QC' title, you will make a LOT of money.
Original post by billy_k
If you are working for a chambers such as Maitland, Blackstone's, Keating's etc, you can make way over a million. However it all comes with experience. Once you earn the 'QC' title, you will make a LOT of money.

I'm aware that it is possible, but it's really eat what you kill and not guaranteed really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aizen95
I see where you're coming from, yesterday I was talking to a third year student who was telling me that he at first wanted to go into criminal law, but is now considering other areas of law. I get a little stressed because at the end of the day I want to succeed, and I really have my mind set on this degree. I started this week, and was told by the careers team at an induction lecture, that there were plenty of fields to go into which relate to law. Haha I always hear that university is probably the best few years in a persons life, I don't intend to make them the worst. Thank you for your reply, I really do appreciate it.

When I first started my degree I wanted to be a family solicitor, oh how that has changed now haha !

I think something that really helps is to try get as much work experience as you can. This is probably something to think about next summer when you are more familiar with the law but it has definitely benefitted me.

I had work experience whilst in school and although it was beneficial, i didnt really get to see the nitty gritty behind legal practice which is what you want to see in order to make an informed decision about your future career.

For example last Summer I worked in a solicitors office for a few weeks and this summer I just worked for 3 months elsewhere at another firm. I knew at that point that I didnt want to practice but I though it would help visualise what I have been studying.

It definitely was insightful and I am still against practicing, but who is to say that my mind won't change again ! I study in Scotland so my degree lasts 4 years so i may change my mind again as i did in the last 2 years.

Basically, just enjoy the degree whilst you don't have to think too much about the future. If law is what you want to do then go for it !
Reply 18
Thank you all for your replies, I would reply to all of them but the message is pretty much the same. I've started on my journey into becoming more well rounded and individualistic compared to other students by joining societies such as the law society and taking part in related events and activities.

I've become the first year student rep in my class, as well as taken part in events such as witnessing a third year moot, with hopes to eventually taking part in them later on this year. I try to regulary involve myself in these activities, like this week I will be (in a group) meeting a judge for an educational talk and in a few weeks time, attending court sessions.

I plan to also join other societies which I know will help me, such as the debating society or the UN society, which was recommended to me by the president of the law society. I pretty much plan to take the bull by the horns and make most of the nine thousand pounds given per year in tuition fees. I regulary turn to third year students in the society for advice and they've told me that I need to advertise myself by being involved which I intend to do.

As well as reading your replies, I've been doing some more reading into employment and how I would tackle it. The plan is to initially take part, contribute and pick up as many skills and experiences as I can. I want to show my future employers that I'm someone who's done more than others have and in turn picked up more during my study in this area. Of course I will also need to secure a good grade which I optimistic and determined to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending